kwflyer

BEST JUMP SUIT FOR NOVICE

Hi all. Just wondering what you would recommend for jumpsuits for a new person in the sport. Used the DZ jumpsuits last summer but want to buy my own as the students shared with tandems and they got really rank as the day wore on :(
I am 6'2" 220lbs if that info is helpful or not? Any advice is really appreciated as I don't know what style or features would be useful

You are going to get a ton of different responses to that question...

My quick & simple advise would be to search the classifieds here for a used one, most ads say what size it fits. you will in all likelihood tear up your 1st one pretty good in your first 100 jumps so why spend 500 bones just yet.

Another option is the basic 'Slipstream' line of jumpsuits ParaGear sells...250.00 a copy IIRC and it will do what you need for now. Most are 'in stock' so you can have it in 3 days!

I'm 6'4" & 220 ~ I have several XL 'Slipstream' jumpsuits I use for doing demonstration jumps...they're made well, look & fit good - for the price ya can't beat 'em.

http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=108&level..

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Well this here is a loaded question,...

Whatever yo do make sure, that any excess clothing can never bunch up and cover or interfere with any control or handle. that said,... this goes for sticking your T shirt into your harness with rubber bands as well!

Bev suits, I get a commision,err,...:S Actually there are so many established and small operations that make fine jumpsuits it really isn't fair to mention one over another. I personally like to support those that support skydiving!

perhaps at this point, unless your filthy rich, purchase what you want, I reccommend someone else measure you, that way when it arrives, and it dosen't fit you have someone to yell at.

Wearguard, dickies, etc. to save money? any large jumpsuit/one piece coverall, considering safety? Will do. Do we actually need jumpsuits, probably not aside from the entanglment issues, but they look cool and you can spend endless hours of time on those computer design things picking colors and clothes that we wouldn't be caught wearing elswhere!

Fall rate: perhaps this aspect is important, not so right now, but it could be a issue when you start jumping with others. Aff ? and no one has mentioned this yet??

Booties, booties are for#$%#@ O'h shit I forgot this is dropzone and is a very heated topic. Good luck on the subject of booties. However if your a member of the opposite sex, then make sure the aerodynamics of a well fitted suit are taken into consideration! Perhaps I'm confusing booties with some other similar sounding word. Personally I'm going to quote EX Governor of Minnesota Jesse Ventura, "when I die I want to return as a 44DD bra," O'h back to your jumpsuit,...It is imperative that the female form be enhanced, for fall rate and other issues, by having a suit that is a least 2 sizes smaller than necessary!

O'k now that I have callosly upset every female jumper worldwide,...[:/] It's a joke, come on,...NOT really a joke, have you been to a womens event on a hot day, I swear they paint those things on! Actually they have to considering their weight, many women need a faster fall rate and a tighter suit is one way to do this...

Perhaps you could post the location of this offensive drop zone and we will shame them into going to the local launromate!

Peersonally buy from an established place, I avoid e-bay because they are coming from a strange far away place, no not really,...if you spend 400.00 U.S. most of the domestic places will adjust and tweak till it fits, but the issue of who pays for shipping is going to come up. E-bay,...you buy it you own it! Most all domestic places are happy to adjust at no charge, and most have stock suits at far less than 400.00. Check the classifieds here, gamble a little, the worst is that you have to resell it, The best would be you get a nice suit at a great price!

Another possibility is your local tailor/sewing center some individuals make their own, but if you have tried this once, it makes the 400 for the super duper suit look cheep. But yo never know if you have a relative, think Aunt or grandmother that would be willing to make one for you? Good luck.
C

Somtimes if you write a letter to the soap companies they send a little sample back of detergent, for free that you can pass on to your local DZ?

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Yes, Ray builds a good product at a reasonable price. But is it the "BEST"?

Sorry, just one of my pet peeves that there is no BEST gear in skydiving, just lots of options depending on what you want.

Now if we are talking about heart surgeons, that's a different story.;)

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I'm in. I'll see Jim's Slipstream and save you $50.00. That's something no Monkycndo.

http://www.flitesuit.com/originalflitesuit.html

:D

Actually I use a Flitesuit for RW...but trust me, by the time 'I' added the options I wanted, it was considerably more than 199.00...just adding the grippers puts it over 250!

That's why I use the cheaper suit for demos, if I go down on concrete I haven't torn up the butt or knees on the GOOD suit.
;)

Ray's a heart surgeon too?!?!?!? Man, that would explain the awesome stitch job!! ;)

The BEST suit advice I got was from my mentor when I told him I wanted to get heavy into 8 ways. He told me to take off my suit and fly my body for 3 months.

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Ok my bad. Poor choice of words with the best question. I guess to narrow this down a bit, what style of JS should I be looking at? I am finished my AFF and working towards my A so my question was really just sort of a look ahead what do I need. I don't mind spending 200-300 on a JS but just want to make sure I get something that will suit my needs for a while.

Oh thx for the soap advice ChrisD, will pass along lol I belong to small DZ so wash between tandems not an option, hence my question.

What discipline are you leaning towards?

Thats the problem, I'm not sure! As I am new to the sport I only really have my AFF and a handful of solo jumps to go by.
My DZ seems to have a lot of RW going on (the women's national team trains there) So would like to do that but would like to get some freefly in too...

What discipline are you leaning towards?

Thats the problem, I'm not sure! As I am new to the sport I only really have my AFF and a handful of solo jumps to go by.
My DZ seems to have a lot of RW going on (the women's national team trains there) So would like to do that but would like to get some freefly in too...

Here's my thoughts - get a good, all-purpose RW suit, with booties, one that you can stick with for a while. It'll serve you well whether you choose to stick exclusively with belly flying or at some point start mixing it up a bit with some freefly. But you've always got the belly suit for when you do belly fly. Then the cool belly kids won't mock you. :D:P;)

As for brands, you've already gotten a couple of suggestions; I think most of the major brands make really good suits. If you've got a local option (most don't) that can be really helpful because it makes getting the fit right a lot easier, but that can be managed. On that front, whoever you choose, make sure you get measured by someone else, who knows what they're doing. Do NOT try to measure yourself.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm in. I'll see Jim's Slipstream and save you $50.00. That's something no Monkycndo.

http://www.flitesuit.com/originalflitesuit.html

:D

I'll raise you $4

http://www.dropzone.com/classifieds/Detailed/Jumpsuits/SUPER_SUIT_FOR_BIG_GUYS_136333.html

http://www.dropzone.com/classifieds/Detailed/Jumpsuits/for_BIG_Guy_RW_Free_fly_suit_137635.html
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

hahaha, loved reading that conversation you just had with yourself lol.

I'm in the same boat, just going to grab the first 2nd hand RW or freefly suit I like. I'll probably end up with one of each.

Then when I'm kicking arse I'll get a custom one and look the part ;)

Hey Brother... You win. ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Wanna bet?
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Umm...yeah, it would fit YOU!

Buy an RW suit. The fall range of RW is fairly narrow incomarison to freefly, and being a bigger guy, a suit will really help you to be comfortable when jumping with more average sized jumpers. Additionally, you 'need' grippers to do RW (you don't really, but it does make it way easier for who you're jumping with).

Freefly is a little more 'loose' in its requirements. When you start out, you'll either be doing solos or jumping with a more experienced freeflyer, so the speed you fall is of little concern. You can send quite a bit of time practicing before you're ready to freefly with a wide range of people and might need the suit to slow you down. In the beginning you can get by with some cover-alls or jeans and a long sleeve T shirt (in that case, find a shirt that is long on you and tuck it way into your pants so it doesn't come out in freefall).

FliteSuit or Bev are both good choices. They make nice suits that will last for a long time.