dnlorenzo

sabre 150 vs pilot 150

im trying to figure out if there is a difference in performance
in these two canopies. i currently jump a sabre and am getting a little bored with it. is the pilot considered semi elliptical?

Just to make sure, do you mean a Sabre, or a Sabre2?
Remster

I've put a bunch of jumps on Sabre's. Their great. I didn't care for the Pilot when I did some demo jumps on them. I think their great canopies, don't get me wrong. I just didn't warm up to them.

The best advice I can give you (or anyone) is demo canopies. Find the one that is right for you.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

in these two canopies. i currently jump a sabre and am getting a little bored with it. is the pilot considered semi elliptical?

The Sabre 1, is a completely different animal to a Sabre 2. Sabre 2's are much more fun (than a Sabre 1). No comment on the Pilot as I haven't jumped one yet.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

he currently jumps a sabre 1.
OP- i have jumped both canopies and it is really going to be personal preference. alot of people on this forum make things out to be more complicated than they are.
pilots are pretty docile canopies with quick recovery arc. but very responsive turns and very fun to fly. demo

thanks for all the advice. think ill just try and push my sabre a little more until i can afford or find something else that strikes me.i think the pilot is out seems to be apples for apples. theres a stiletto 135 not sure im ready for all that.
probably just going to save for a sapphire2
jump for your life

thanks for all the advice. think ill just try and push my sabre a little more until i can afford or find something else that strikes me.i think the pilot is out seems to be apples for apples. theres a stiletto 135 not sure im ready for all that.
probably just going to save for a sapphire2

You have an incomplete profile?? But, if you have the jumps, maybe try a larger Stiletto? Maybe a 170? Sometimes downsizing can involve larger canopies. :)
Again.... DEMO.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Both are good canopies but the Pilot has more consistent openings. You can pack a Sabre to open better but no matter what you do it is going to smack you every once in a while (some more than others).

I put 1100 jumps on a Pilot 150, no cutaways, on heading openings till about 450 jumps per line set and an all around great canopy. I didn't really care for the zpx and always bought ZP.

I jumped a Sabre 1 150 for about 100 jumps before down sizing to a Pilot 140. The Pilot is by far the better canopy. It will get you back from long spots, is a lot of fun to fly and can dig you out of trouble. The Sabre 1 is not a bad canopy, however the openings leave a lot to be desired and will leave you off heading a lot. The Pilot invariably opens at medium speed but always softly and on heading even if your pack job is less than neat. The flare on the Pilot is far more powerful, which means you have to fly the Pilot to the ground, whereas the flare on the Sabre has a much narrower range and requires a far quicker motion. I'd never go back to the Sabre 1 after jumping the Pilot.

Another vote for the Pilot here. I jumped Sabre 1&2´s and the Pilot had better openings, was more responsive and produced more lift during the flare, that´s my impression of the wing.

Cheers.
When in Danger or in doubt run in circles scream and shout.

i think the pilot is out seems to be apples for apples

Totally disagree with this!

I made a couple of dozen jumps each on a Sabre1 150 and a Pilot 150 close together a few years ago. The Pilot opened beautifully and was much more agile on toggles, though it remained extremely well behaved; going back to the Sabre felt sluggish by comparison.

'Semi-elliptical' is a marketing term and you should take that for what it's worth, but purely going by shape - the Sabre1 is rectangular; the Pilot tapers at the ends.

Demo demo demo.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?