TheDoctor2608

Clearing lines and material inside canopy while packing

The folks out ther who are doing it are just wasting time and being anal.

Anal is a good thing.

Noun 1. anal personality - (psychoanalysis) a personality characterized by meticulous neatness and suspicion and reserveanal personality - (psychoanalysis) a personality characterized by meticulous neatness and suspicion and reserve;

:)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

So, my neatly packed canopy takes 5 minutes to pack at a leisurely pace. Without cleaning up the insides, it takes almost the same time but its more work to close the bag, and the container. Its not a waste of time.

It is FAR easier to teach new skydivers bulk distribution by packing as perfect as can be. Teach how to keep the lines in the center at the same time. Sooner or later, the skydiver packs in 15 minutes or less and doesn't crumple up the canopy, and its simply easier to manage.

It's not a matter if function, but calling it a waste of time is kinda stupid.

I have a pull out pilot chute with a shit ton of jumps on it. I never crumple it up like most folks with pull outs. Mine compared to a co-skydiver's is in much better condition.

PS, my reserve pack jobs don't have the result of a crumpled up center cell. I distribute the center cell into the folds. The nose gets dressed during the S-fold. Why some riggers have wrinkly pack jobs in general, does not make a lot of sense to me.

(Another PS. Typing with thumbs on a phone takes a long time so I'm leaving the typos.)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I didn't say you couldn't get line burns on canopies.

Actually I think you did....twice in fact if you count this one too!
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4379286;#4379286

From your photo it is difficult to understand what part of the canopy is shown. Maybe a stablizer, if so, it was from not clearing the permiter. Show me a line burn from a "B", "C", or "D" line resulting from not clearing the inside on a "PRO" pack and I will modify my thinking.

John,
If you will look at the photo, you will see the tail end seam.
You should also note the non-loaded rib stitching coming through the bottom skin of the #5 cell of a 7 cell canopy.

Given the fact of where this is located, it would be hard pressed to think that person did not clear the tail when he/she packed it.

I have plenty more photos if you need them.

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

I didn't say you couldn't get line burns on canopies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually I think you did....twice in fact if you count this one too!
http://www.dropzone.com/...ost=4379286;#4379286

This referance is about internal pressure not line burns.

If you will look at the photo, you will see the tail end seam.

Once again this defect is on the perimeter which should have been cleared. While it may be hard for you to think that the person did not cleart the tail when packing it is a common failing.
PD found it to be the most common mistake when PRO packing.
Please post photos of line burns from interior "B", "C" and "D" lines.

Text copied from other thread:

....In My total experience with Ram air canopies I have never seen a line burn except from a accidentally pre-packed malfunction. .....

John,
It seems pretty vivid that you are stating that either:

1. You have not physically witnessed a line burn on a canopy

or

2. Line burn never occurs on ram air canopies.

or

3.You have not physically witnessed a line burn on a canopy because line burn never occurs on ram air canopies.

Which one are you going with?

Once again this defect is on the perimeter which should have been cleared. While it may be hard for you to think that the person did not cleart the tail when packing it is a common failing.
PD found it to be the most common mistake when PRO packing.
Please post photos of line burns from interior "B", "C" and "D" lines.

John,
If the left of center-tail is burned on the bottom skin, this indicates that more than likely a suspension line did it rather than a control line or an "A" line.

If you don't believe that line burn occurs, I encourage you to spend more time inspecting some canopies in the field.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Mark,

What I may have or have not said on another thread is not germain to the question of this thread.
The question is: If you don't clear the inside of the canopy will you get burns. I said, I have never seen such damage. If you have photos of such please post them so we may be enlightened.
In as much as the photo you did post was damage to a a center tail seam. It is apparant that it was probably done by an inside line, as you say.
However, the line didn't jump out and burn a spot on the perimeter. The cloth was improperly placed while clearing the permiter. That has nothing to do with clearing or aranging the inside lines and material.

BTW: I would appreicate it, if in the future, when you quote me, you provide accurate source information each time you make a quote. I am getting older but the phrase "accidentally pre-packed malfunction" is not familure to me. :)JS

The cloth was improperly placed while clearing the permiter. That has nothing to do with clearing or aranging the inside lines and material.

I'm not sure I understand this. It seems to be contradicting statements.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The cloth was improperly placed while clearing the permiter. That has nothing to do with clearing or aranging the inside lines and material.

I'm not sure I understand this. It seems to be contradicting statements.

Didn't clear the stabilizers, which is a different issue than not flaking the cells between the A's and B lines.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Flaking the canopy will definitely decrease malfunctions and wear and tear. I also have noticed, that the neater your flake job is, the neater the rest of the pack job will look and feel, and the easier it will go into the bag. Especially with new canopies. Flaking takes me no extra time at all and it makes the rest of the pack job go smoothly. Also, then you, yourself, can keep tabs on your gears condition at all times... Sorry packers, but you pay a packer to put the canopy in your rig and really that's it. And unless you're using the same packer, roll the dice to see how it'll open. I know the condition and workings of all of my gear at all times. I know not everyone will want to do this, but if more people did, I think it would prevent many potentially avoided problems.
It's good to see you looking for advice here and sounds like you sort if tried at your dz. Ask an instructor you trust or anyone that you always see packing their own gear. I see too many people with hundreds of jumps who can't pack at all. A license requirement right?
I currently jump a Safire 2 159 loaded at 1.4 and I have just for "fun" (read, don't do this) straightened the lines and more or less balled the canopy up and it opened fine. As long as you have line tension and the slider on the stops it'll open nice. Of course body position and airspeed ect play a huge part, but as for packing... If you want it see some insane looking packjobs and just how resilient your gear is to botched pack jobs, watch this... http://youtu.be/i16HryVyRaI
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...