mjlaw201

aerodyne soft links

Does the soft link know what risers it is connected to?
It's all about the wear.
If in doubt, replace them. Don't be a cheapskate. It's always better safe than sorry.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Does anyone know if Aerodyne's slinks for mains are reusable? I've emailed them and not recieved a response, and there isn't anything on their website about this.

Why would you think they are not? Wanting to know details of how to identify wear on soft links is wise. To wonder if they can only be installed once seems unreasonable.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Why would I question their reusability? Because some brands call their slinks "REUSABLE soft links," implying that some others may not be. Aerodyne does not label them as such, which made me wonder if they don't, for whatever reason, endorse them being undone and reattached. Just because you or I may not be able to think of a reason (aside from wear), doesn't mean there couldn't be one. There was nothing "unreasonable" about my question.

Does anyone know if Aerodyne's slinks for mains are reusable? I've emailed them and not recieved a response, and there isn't anything on their website about this.

Edited to clarify

Short answer is yes they are reusable. Popsjumper is right on the money. If they are worn then they should be replaced. They are a very inexpensive item in the big picture and could at a minimum save you the cost of a reserve repack. Since you're asking this question I would advise you have a rigger inspect them and act accordingly.

Why would I question their reusability? Because some brands call their slinks "REUSABLE soft links," implying that some others may not be. Aerodyne does not label them as such, which made me wonder if they don't, for whatever reason, endorse them being undone and reattached. Just because you or I may not be able to think of a reason (aside from wear), doesn't mean there couldn't be one. There was nothing "unreasonable" about my question.

I think it is unreasonable to think they might not endorse reuseability, but would not let users know of their position on that.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

When soft links first came out they were mainly made by riggers in the field and couldn't be take off easily without a pair of scissors. Pd came out with a product that could be taken off and put back on reasonably easily. I suspect Thad where the reusable came from - they are in comparison to the ones originally made which were much more permanent.

Here is my guidelines that I personally use:

Do they have wear, show heat damage from hot slider grommets, have pulled threads.

If yes, replace.

If no, use them. The chances are super slim that a good looking slink is going to randomly break because of some unseen damage by a prior owner.

We aren't anal about the lines on a reserve after thorough inspection, this is in the same ballpark. You inspect and then assemble. You don't get every single canopy relined because it is new to you. But you would make the riggers happy if you did.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

my life is worth more than $30. Why not just buy new ones. Better safe than DEAD!

If the links showed signs of wear, I would agree completely. If there is no reason to suspect their integrity, then just go and jump.

I got my PD Slinks off, no problem. But, on my other rig, I had to cut Aerodyne's soft links with a pair of sissors. Possibly they are not meant to be reused. Then again, my rigging skills are near zero.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

I got my PD Slinks off, no problem. But, on my other rig, I had to cut Aerodyne's soft links with a pair of sissors. Possibly they are not meant to be reused. Then again, my rigging skills are near zero.

Are you sure those were Aerodyne soft links? Arodyne soft links are easy to undo. PdF soft links on the other hand are pain in the butt. Both soft links look alike,but the French ones are shorter and they are not made to be routed through the eye and above the ring.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Yes, they were definitely Aerodyne links; again, I am not skilled at rigging. Nevertheless I worked on them for some time and finally gave up and cut them. Also, these slinks did not look anything like PD's Slinks. The Areodyne soft links had a stainless steel ring on them. I could not get them loose enough to pull the fairly large ring through the eye in the link.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Yes, they were definitely Aerodyne links; again, I am not skilled at rigging. Nevertheless I worked on them for some time and finally gave up and cut them. Also, these slinks did not look anything like PD's Slinks. The Areodyne soft links had a stainless steel ring on them. I could not get them loose enough to pull the fairly large ring through the eye in the link.

It helps to use a pair of hemostats or needle nose pliers. I'm surprised you had that much trouble with them, I'd say they were probably due for a replacement if they had such a set that you couldn't disconnect them.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

my life is worth more than $30. Why not just buy new ones. Better safe than DEAD!

Better smart that stupid, which is why I said to inspect them.:S

Throwing money at things doesn't make you any safer in this sport, if you aren't directing the cash flow with informed decisions.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I would not jump Aerodyne slinks on any rig of mine. Therefore I would replace even if they were not worn, but I concur with others that they are reusable but should be replaced as often as the lineset and/or riser retirement.

1) I used to jump them before I was a rigger and the rigger who assembled my rig did not tack them. When a ring came out of the riser and was exposed, a brake line knotted on the ring and I had to land using rear risers as the tension knot was too hard to remove in busy canopy traffic. I believe (personal opinion) that the ring is more likely to snag a line in a tension knot.

2) As a rigger I found a canopy attached to the risers wrong with Aerodyne soft links. There was user error in how the canopy was attached - in a way that is impossible with PD or other slinks that have solid tabs instead of hoop rings. The ring allows a user to screw up the attachment and from a distance or upon casual inspection it looks correct. The canopy was able to be removed from the rig simply by shaking the lines on the risers... Oh, I probably should also say it was a Smart reserve that I found this way when I opened the container, and one of the 4 links had already come apart prior to me opening the rig. I contacted Aerodyne with a suggestion that they use solid metal disks, such as Cypres Washers, to avoid this user error, and their response indicated to me they were not passionate about the situation (meaning years later they have done little to correct the issue.)

I would never buy or recommend an Aerodyne product after that experience, especially their slinks. In contrast I have contacted a few other manufactures with things I found wrong with their products, and in every case they handled the situation. For an example, an AAD manufacture revised their manual a few days after I contacted them. A container manufacture fed-exed replacement components to me and spent the time to track down the specific person who incorrectly manufactured a component and recalled a batch of the product that person worked on. That is the level of safety we deserve.

Just my soapbox. That is all.:P