quase

Bonehead Mamba "too short"

Hi folks. I just purchased a Bonehead Mamba helmet. Despite following their measurement guide to the letter, the size I ordered doesn't fit. The thing is: it fits comfortably "around" my head. It feels snug and doesn't give me that insta-headache you get when you put on a helmet too small. Problem is: my chin is waaaay out in the bottom. It's as if my head is too long (giant brain, you know). This is my first full face helmet, so I wanted to get some insight if this is just really wrong sizing, or maybe there is something I am doing wrong here. Cheers!

Full face helmets are harder to fit than an open face because of the chin being confined by the helmet. I had a tough time due to having a pointy chin and a big melon. I found the Mamba a better fit than most because there isn't as much to that helmet that goes under the chin. That way there is room for my chin to drop below the front of the helmet. I know several people that have the same issue as you as they have a long melon. They jump a Mamba and there chin is below the chin cup. But nothing else would fit.

The only other full faces that are usable by the Freakishly Large Head Club would be the Cookie G2/G3 or the Paratech FreeZr 2. No other full faces even came close to fitting me.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

...or maybe there is something I am doing wrong here.

Maybe. Full-face helmets are a very particular, and in some cases even finicky "personal preference" as to evaluation of correct/proper "fit".

Are you trying to pull the front of it down to the point your chin is fully "in" the shell structure itself, and finding you can't? That is not always (as I think others are also trying to point out to you here) absolutely necessary, or necessarily even "correct". This gets pretty tough though to fully describe accurately sight unseen, over the interwebs here. I would suggest going to someone knowledgeable in person, and having them with you IN PERSON take a look and evaluate it for/ with you.

Doesn't sound like this is a Bonehead "sizing chart issue" though, as I think with this (in conjunction with your other post too) you seem to be trying to imply.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Maybe. Full-face helmets are a very particular, and in some cases even finicky "personal preference" as to evaluation of correct/proper "fit".

To the OP: this is one of those cases where maybe, just maybe, going to your local gear dealer (you've mentioned in previous posts that Skydive Deland is your home DZ and they are listed on the Bonehead site as a Bonehead dealer) would have yielded you better results overall, even if it might have cost a hair more.

You would have been able to try the helmet on before you bought it, and you wouldn't have had to start a thread about the alleged "lack of service" you received from an online dealer. And you would have supported your local economy. :)
As others have mentioned, helmets, especially full-face helmets, are tricky to fit. Try before you buy is critical. There's probably nothing wrong at all with how you've measured, or how Bonehead has written their charts, it's just a helmet that doesn't quite work for your melon. I feel the pain - it took me quite a while of trying on the largest size of a bunch of different full face helmets before I found a couple options that work for me.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

That would mean having to read Bonehead's "weird" instructions! :S

...And maybe actually learning something - or finding out some very real information/facts before instead - rather just coming on here, and trashing someone first. [:/]

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

...And maybe actually learning something - or finding out some very real information/facts before instead - rather just coming on here, and trashing someone first.

You mean like this:

At no point I posted anything slanderous, you should check your dictionary to see what that word means.

slan·der (slndr)
n.
1. Law Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation.
2. A false and malicious statement or report about someone.
v. slan·dered, slan·der·ing, slan·ders
v.tr.
To utter a slander about. See Synonyms at malign.
v.intr.
To utter or spread slander.
[Middle English slaundre, from Old French esclandre, alteration of escandle, from Latin scandalum, cause of offense, stumbling block; see scandal.]

slanderous
adjective defamatory, libellous, abusive, malicious, damaging, calumnious He wanted an explanation for what he described as `slanderous' remarks.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/slanderous

I placed the order a couple of days ago I've been trying to contact this company with no success. Has anyone purchased from them recently? I'm afraid I've placed an order with a shuttered business that charged me for it but has no plans to deliver. Crazy

so that a plus for Baddog for shipping on time and as advertised. Still a negative mark for not providing ANY feedback, but as long as the product is shipped properly, I can accept that. Cheers!

So I got the helmet today, but the lens is cracked. FML. We'll see if I can get a hold of the guy for a replacement.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4426242#4426242

I did have a problem with sizing of the helmet (I took the blame for it, but I forward that blame to Bonehead Composites and their weird measuring guide

Oh sorry, I forgot.... it's someone is to blame. Hey anyone for some bingo...

I-36.... I.... 36.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Hi folks. I just purchased a Bonehead Mamba helmet. Despite following their measurement guide to the letter, the size I ordered doesn't fit. The thing is: it fits comfortably "around" my head. It feels snug and doesn't give me that insta-headache you get when you put on a helmet too small. Problem is: my chin is waaaay out in the bottom. It's as if my head is too long (giant brain, you know). This is my first full face helmet, so I wanted to get some insight if this is just really wrong sizing, or maybe there is something I am doing wrong here. Cheers!

Hi there,

I also own a Mamba and I experienced the same thing as you did at the beginning. After a while it broke in and the helmet fits like a glove now, I couldn´t be happier with its performance and fit.

p.s. It may sound silly but make sure you put it the right way (See photo attached).
When in Danger or in doubt run in circles scream and shout.

Just to finish it up here, I've been away for some time. Yeah, it looks like it is somewhat normal to have your chin out from under the helmet, and that is not a bad case. As for the folks who picked up on my other posts about this, I just have one thing to say: you guys don't know the whole story, I am not going to waste any more of my (and your) time with this. I have good dealings with the merchant who sold me the helmet, although I think he could have put himself in my place a little more before replying to my original post (it was a question of miscommunication, not malice). Also, I don't think I'll be back here in these forums anymore. Every single time I post here, and every time I try to gather information from other posts, the discussion devolves into name calling and ego fights within the first three replies. I think I'll start calling my instructors a little more and stop relying on the internet. I thought the skydiver spirit would override the need to stomp on everybody you meet online in these forums, but I was mistaken. Blue skies to everyone who genuinely tried to help, I hope I see you at the DZ sometime. Cheers!