rss_v

All costs of owning gear vs. renting

I don't know where the 'comfort factor' would fit into the equation...but as someone that's rented & borrowed gear all over the world I gotta say there IS a bit of a lowered stress level when I strap MY rig on as opposed to one unfamiliar

That's a factor for sure, but there are a couple of considerations. If a jumper has only rented gear, and never jumped a custom-made harness, they don't know what they're missing. Provided that they are of an average size, and the gear at their local DZ fits them well enough, that might not much of a factor.

Another aspect of comfort, as it applies to stress reduction, is that you know your rig, canopy, maintenance, rigger and packer. There's no 'mystery' to the equaltion.

However, a new jumper with no experience beyond rental gear wouldn't have the familiarity with a personal rig.

The flip side is that the OP has posted asking about used rigs he's interested in buying, and I seem to recall they were older, very low dollar stuff. Velcro riser covers, poor bridle protection, F-111 canopies, and no AAD. If there was a more modern alternative to rent, mroe frrefly friendly, with a Z-po or hybrid canopy, and an AAD, I might rather go with the rental option based on the superior components. I think I would be more comfortable in the safety sense of the world, even if not as much in the physical sense.

I don't know where the 'comfort factor' would fit into the equation...but as someone that's rented & borrowed gear all over the world I gotta say there IS a bit of a lowered stress level when I strap MY rig on as opposed to one unfamiliar

That's a factor for sure, but there are a couple of considerations. If a jumper has only rented gear, and never jumped a custom-made harness, they don't know what they're missing. Provided that they are of an average size, and the gear at their local DZ fits them well enough, that might not much of a factor.

Another aspect of comfort, as it applies to stress reduction, is that you know your rig, canopy, maintenance, rigger and packer. There's no 'mystery' to the equaltion.

However, a new jumper with no experience beyond rental gear wouldn't have the familiarity with a personal rig.

The flip side is that the OP has posted asking about used rigs he's interested in buying, and I seem to recall they were older, very low dollar stuff. Velcro riser covers, poor bridle protection, F-111 canopies, and no AAD. If there was a more modern alternative to rent, mroe frrefly friendly, with a Z-po or hybrid canopy, and an AAD, I might rather go with the rental option based on the superior components. I think I would be more comfortable in the safety sense of the world, even if not as much in the physical sense.

All excellent points.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Approx yearly costs of a £2500 used rig (with cypres 2) would be

£110 approx for the cypres (linear depreciation and services included at current rates)

£70 for 2 reserve repacks (although if you only jumped April - Sept you could get away with 1 reserve repack).

£5 for bungees

If borrowing the money then any interest payments or if taking the money from your savings then the loss of interest (£35 is probably reasonable based on current interest rates if the rig is being purchased with savings).

It would be prudent to factor in an amount to cover other perishables etc although if you only make a few jumps you might well get away without needing any!!

All in all buying a used rig would probably be a good idea both financially and for other reasons such as:-

The familiarity of your own equipment

The ability to jump when you want

The possibility that you might surprise yourself and do over 30 jumps

The ability to spend time examining and learning all about your own gear

This is just my 2p worth!!

Approx yearly costs of a £2500 used rig (with cypres 2) would be

£110 approx for the cypres (linear depreciation and services included at current rates)

£70 for 2 reserve repacks (although if you only jumped April - Sept you could get away with 1 reserve repack).

£5 for bungees

If borrowing the money then any interest payments or if taking the money from your savings then the loss of interest (£35 is probably reasonable based on current interest rates if the rig is being purchased with savings).

It would be prudent to factor in an amount to cover other perishables etc although if you only make a few jumps you might well get away without needing any!!

All in all buying a used rig would probably be a good idea both financially and for other reasons such as:-

The familiarity of your own equipment

The ability to jump when you want

The possibility that you might surprise yourself and do over 30 jumps

The ability to spend time examining and learning all about your own gear

This is just my 2p worth!!

Yea, I'm thinking it will be worthwhile. Rental is £10 per jump (includes packing) so you can see how quickly I'd save money. Of course I'd save even more by not jumping at all... :S

I've never seen a rental agreement for a licensed jumper that didn't hold the jumper responsible for lost or damaged gear, Dave.

In most places in the UK, if you rent kit, you are not liable for replacing it if you have to chop it and it gets lost/paying for the repack etc. There is rental agreement I have ever seen a UK DZ show about this (although I can't speak for all DZ's).
I imagine if someone chopped for no reason or just didn't care about helping find a main they had to chop, the DZ may not be so happy about that...

In the same way, if you rent a house and it collapses, you don't need to pay to have it rebuilt..

Why should a jumper who paid to hire a rig, have to pay for a repack and replacement canopy if the person who last packed it packed a line over into it and the canopy got lost?

One thing with gear hire in the UK vs other places. The DZ often insists their packers pack the hire gear (unless you're signed off as one of their packers..)

At several places in the US a 'DZ packer' has to pack it the final time before it goes back on the rack. If you jump it 10 times during the day YOU can pack all but the last one.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

One thing with gear hire in the UK vs other places. The DZ often insists their packers pack the hire gear (unless you're signed off as one of their packers..)

At several places in the US a 'DZ packer' has to pack it the final time before it goes back on the rack. If you jump it 10 times during the day YOU can pack all but the last one.

Yea, at my DZ in principle we're allowed to pack rental rigs - for our own jumps only.

A couple of people have mentioned it, but just in case:

The difference between landing a shitty twenty-year-old F111 PD190 and a Sabre2 190 is night and day. The latter flies, the former merely slows down. If you're not going to be particularly current, and your budget doesn't stretch to a relatively modern canopy, I'd stay renting. Much more forgiving if you misjudge something a tad.

A couple of people have mentioned it, but just in case:

The difference between landing a shitty twenty-year-old F111 PD190 and a Sabre2 190 is night and day. The latter flies, the former merely slows down. If you're not going to be particularly current, and your budget doesn't stretch to a relatively modern canopy, I'd stay renting. Much more forgiving if you misjudge something a tad.

I won't be buying an F111 canopy. Not exactly a new Sabre 2, either, though. I've flown the rental rigs (obviously) as well as ones I might buy, and I'm definitely happy with it/them - it feels pretty much the same to me.

I won't be buying an F111 canopy. Not exactly a new Sabre 2, either, though. I've flown the rental rigs (obviously) as well as ones I might buy, and I'm definitely happy with it/them - it feels pretty much the same to me.

Depending where you jump, the rental rigs you have been using may well be F-111. Do you know what canopies you have jumped?

Depending where you jump, the rental rigs you have been using may well be F-111. Do you know what canopies you have jumped?

Navs in Javs, if you will.

Hybrid's then - they have an F111 bottom skin and a ZP top skin. They are quite possibly de-tuned as well as Nav's are usually part of a DZ's student operation.

In my opinion, you'll learn more and progress faster with your own kit, both in terms of your gear knowledge and in terms of the benefits of having consistency over all your jumps by flying exactly the same canopy.

Hi

Hope your the op.

I'M not trying to be a wise ass, but 30 jumps/yr are not very many to do much more than a 2 way Ymmv. Are you sure its worth the extra cost vs a tunnel or some other sport.

BPA annual dues
Petrol to and from the dz.
Lift ticket.
Maybe a coach or recurrency jump.
Cost of kit

Vs the cost of 30 minutes of tunnel time;)

Enjoy

One Jump Wonder

Hi

Hope your the op.

I'M not trying to be a wise ass, but 30 jumps/yr are not very many to do much more than a 2 way Ymmv. Are you sure its worth the extra cost vs a tunnel or some other sport.

BPA annual dues
Petrol to and from the dz.
Lift ticket.
Maybe a coach or recurrency jump.
Cost of kit

Vs the cost of 30 minutes of tunnel time;)

Enjoy

of course it's not worth it, not at all - but I try not to think about that. I don't skydive purely for the sensation of floating on air, though - so a tunnel wouldn't be a suitable substitute. There's more to it than that - as I'm sure you agree.

I guess it's like spending £1300 on a six-day skiing holiday when that money would get me near unlimited access to a local dry slope for the rest of my sad, lonely life.