phatcat

Microsoft Vs. Linux

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/biztech/12/10/meta.linux.reut/index.html

I'm very much a Linux newbie. I'm not a computer geek at all, but I do like to tinker with my puter. I guess the whole open-source thing appeals to my cheap-ass. Since I know there are many computer educated type people here, what do you think of this article? Is this a "resistance is futile" move on Microsoft's part? Or is Linux too well established for me to worry about it?

Is this a "resistance is futile" move on Microsoft's part?

Now that would be some ironic justice, wouldn't it?

CNN or not, I would file this one under "read it on the Internet, must be true". Very doubtful.
Freedom -- Expression -- Spirit

Do a search for threads containing "Linux" here on dz.com, and you should find just about all your answers.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Interesting idea. It's completely rumor according to this CNN "news" article, but it DOES smack of MS's modus. If they act according to their history, they'll release Linux-ready software with proprietary incompatibilities that only MS-Linux would support.

Of course they couldn't achieve that if they released their products as open-source, and no Linux or Unix admin would ever install an MS binary, so it's not clear how they could fuck this one up even if they tried.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I would file this one under "read it on the Internet, must be true". Very doubtful.

Heh, you're probably right. I have to stop posting things on a whim after drinking a few beers.

It's NOT that far fetched... they already offer a version of MS office for the Mac OS X, which is based on the BSD kernel (a close cousin to Linux), so how hard would it be to do a Linux port?

I don't thnk they will though.. it's not their style to support their competitors... their style is to buy them, or use their (illegal) monoply power to CRUSH them!

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

I'll have to agree with narcimund. And if Linux doesn't kick Microsoft's butt, Apple just might. Here's an interesting read.

BTW, The core of OS X "Darwin" is open source and porting it to x86 has been happening. The GUI called "Aqua" however is not open source, but check out XDarwin - it's quite near Aqua.

The cool thing about OS X too, is that you may be able to compile and run open source projects. With a little work that is.
My other ride is the relative wind.

If they can get the PC manufacturers to bundle it. Aren't they still bound by the anti-competitive M$ licensing? As I recall, they pay by the number of PCs shipped, so they basically pay whether they install OS/X, Linux, or (if there was only a God) BeOS, right?

[aside]Why the hell do some people work so hard to skin Linux to look like Windows, Mac, Be, NeXtStep or whatever, when there are so many good-looking original ideas out there?[/aside]

/me is a little cranky right now because she has spent the last two nights surfing dropzone.com rather than working. Grrrr.....
Freedom -- Expression -- Spirit