dmcculloch

Tonfly Speed Helmet

Hi guys and girls.
I am wondering if anyone here has a Tonfly helmet. I am looking ta getting the new Tonfly Speed and was wondering what the helmets are like. I am escpecially keen to hear of anyone with the external Optima port. I am looking at getting that option and would like to know how sturdy and strong are they. If they are a good idea and dont look likely to lose the audible on a hard opening or over time etc. or if they are more of a gimick and you are better of just putting the audibles inside the helmet. Also with that in mind how are the pockets inside. I have a Rawa and the audible pockets are very tight and pushes the audible into my ear and hurts after a few jumps so dont want a repeat of that.

Hi,
I do own Tonfly Performer helmet (upgraded recently to Speed version). It is light, quiet and fits like a glove (literally, so make sure to get the appropriate size). I am a bit biased with regard to the external altimeter port, since display of my Optima got damaged due to the metal connector strike during opening (rental gear). As long as you are flying canopies with soft link connectors this should not be an issue though. Audible pockets will easily hold Optima or comparable size altimeter. I got >100 jumps on this helmet and still like it.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Stephen Hawking

Hi,

I have a Performer as well, more or less same helmet, just with a chin strap instead of cup.

Im very satisfied, fits very well and its very light. I have an external optima port as well and it fits very well. Im very happy about the possibility to make quick changes in my audio-setup and I have grown a habit of checking if my optima and wrist-alti is on the same height when I put on my helmet. The build quality is very good, I can not imagine it could fall out in any way. I never thought about the possibility of the display getting damaged though, but then again I do use soft links.

All in all a big recommendation from here :)

Hi, I have the speed helmet and am pretty happy with it. I ordered the first one in the incorrect size by 2 cm and it makes a world of difference so be sure you get the measurement right and double checked by someone else. lucky my girlfriend fits the first one so it didnt get wasted. I dont have an external audible port but do have the cutaway system. the internal ports work great in my opinion i can hear the protrack just fine and i dont see how it could ever fall out. i took some pics of both for you. they are here.

any more questions just PM me

http://imgur.com/a/CmyhL

this helmet fits like a glove had to drill two holes in it for a cameramount and i was surprized how thin it was.

using it for skydiving and speedflying.

but as others mentioned earlier, DOUBLE CHECK THE SIZE, i was happy i could return my first order.

Digging up an old thread, but has anyone flown a cookie fuel with a chincup and a speed with a chincup? I'm thinking of trading out my Fuel for one. I like the Fuel but the chincup is huge for my chin, and im not fond of the tight chin strap either.

Hi everybody ...!

I wanna buy a Speed helmet ... but at the moment I'm not sure which options are best ...

1) they offer soft and hard rachet straps. Which one do you think is better?

And 2) Does a chin cup makes sense? Or is the chin strap better?

And one more thing ... I prefer an internal audible.
What are the pro's and contra's of an external port, beside the fact settings can be changed easier.

DropMeNow

Hi everybody ...!

I wanna buy a Speed helmet ... but at the moment I'm not sure which options are best ...

1) they offer soft and hard rachet straps. Which one do you think is better?

And 2) Does a chin cup makes sense? Or is the chin strap better?

And one more thing ... I prefer an internal audible.
What are the pro's and contra's of an external port, beside the fact settings can be changed easier.

So I ended up replacing my Fuel with a Tonfly Speed with a small chincup and soft ratchets. Personally I regret the soft ratchets, I will be getting hard ratchets on my next helmet. The chincup takes a couple jumps to get used to, but once its broke in its wonderful, easy to adjust and it really limits the shake if you care about good camera footage.

As far as internal vs external audible port, external every time. With the price of helmets these days there is no reason not to have an integrated external audible port. I have had external on both my fuel and my Speed, and I would personally never buy a helmet with internal audible pockets again. They are just so much easier to use and access your audible. I've almost lost my audible several times on the ground with it falling out of my old helmet that had internal ports.

So I ended up replacing my Fuel with a Tonfly Speed with a small chincup and soft ratchets. Personally I regret the soft ratchets, I will be getting hard ratchets on my next helmet. The chincup takes a couple jumps to get used to, but once its broke in its wonderful, easy to adjust and it really limits the shake if you care about good camera footage.

Could you tell us why do you regret taking the soft straps?