Trev_S

I'm new and have some questions about gear (helmets, alti, audibles etc)

Hi guys,

I've just completed my AFF jumps and have done a couple of solos. I've been using the DZ gear so far and I'm starting to shop around for my own but am unsure about a few things. Any advice from experienced jumpers would be greatly appreciated.

1. Open face or full face. Pros and cons? I like the wind on my face but I doubt I'd like a foot that much.. Is there anywhere online I can watch some reviews of some of the more popular helmets? I don't seem to be able to find anything on youtube. I'm looking at: Cookie Ozone (open face) Cookie Gas (full face)

2. Wrist alti or finger loop? I'm assuming this is just a matter of preference but I'd like to know if ones suited for different types of jumps or not.

3. Audible alti - Is an audible only a backup if you lose height awareness? I'm inexperienced, will I develop bad habits such as not looking at my wrist analog if I use an audible?

Probably some dumb questions but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

About the helmets: Cookies are a great choice. But the G3 is a much better choice for freefall than the GAS. Imagine being on short final to the landing area and someone walking in your path without looking. With a open flip-up-visor you can shout at him and let him realize he is in danger (and you are as well). The visor of the GAS is always closed and therefore takes this option away.

About the wrist alit or finger loop: Take whatever feels more comfortable to you.

About the audible: Yes, it is just a backup. Therefore my audible is set to 100m below pull height. If I ever hear my audible without at least grabbing the hackey something is wrong. And yes, it happened a few times already. It is good to have an audible but you should never get device-dependend.

Actually very good questions.

2.) I prefer analog wrist. Analog is faster for me to read, reads better at an angle. Wrist because i can tilt it easier to be able to read it.
3.) Audible is more or less a backup, usually i know pretty good when it is going to beep any second.
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

... Therefore my audible is set to 100m below pull height. If I ever hear my audible without at least grabbing the hackey something is wrong.

May I suggest that you set your alarm for something above pull altitude to give you PRIOR warning instead of an "Oooops, too late, Dude!"

You'll have more success at pulling on time that way.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Thanks for the response guys.

I do like the G3 but is it a bit of overkill for a novice? I see a lot of new guys on sportsbikes go out and buy full leathers with speed humps which serves no purpose on the road other than to look like a valentino wannabe to other riders.. Would it be a similar thing for me to rock up to the DZ with a G3 designed for professional jumpers?

I'm looking at Gas vs G3 based on the following, in order:

1. protection
2. field of view
3. style / will I look like a try hard?

Has anyone owned or jumped both? The GAS visor looks a little flimsy in the video, does it provide much impact protection compared to the G3? The being able to communicate to anyone walking in your landing path is a great point that I hadn't thought of and having the option of having the visor up or down would be nice.

Again probably some silly questions but keep in mind I've never even tried on a full face so I'm pretty clueless. The DZ I jump at only stocks Benny's, most people have to order from the states to get a wider range of gear so it makes looking at the gear a little tricky [:/]. Probably over thinking all of this but I like to get as much info as possible before buying shit I plan on keeping for a long time :)

The way I lok at it as a noob is buy the gear you want the first time. I have barely any jumps and you'll find me with a shiny G3 helmet, visoii digital alti and a student rental rig lol. Don't care what other people think, I needed to wear a helmet so I bought the one I wanted. AND I LOVE my cookie G3. no goggles to mess with, and pop her open under canopy. good to go. I bought the viso II because one day they ran out of altimeters to rent so it was eigther buy one or wait for one to get turned in. I had 20 till my load so I said "I'm gonna end up buying this one eventually anyways" and bought it right then and there. I love it! as for audible, I just got one for christmas but havn't jumped it yet.

Yeh I suppose so. That's what I do with all my other shit. Bikes, cars, computers - fork out big at the start so you don't have to worry about it again for years.

Looking at Galaxy III, N3, G3 to get me started. Might be over the top for a novice but I won't be a novice forever.

Get a jumpsuit and 2nd hand rig after I finish Brels, put a few hundred jumps on it then fork out for a downsized custom rig :D