Chris-Ottawa

Incorrectly installed S-Link = Results?

After becoming a rigger and spending some considerable time with our trusty S-Links, I became anal about their installation. I will usually check them several times before I'm satisfied that they're installed correctly. I just think of how shitty it would be to look up at your main/reserve and only see 3 risres (or worse) and have absolutely nothing you could do about it except wait.

So, has anyone jumped (intentionally or not) a misrouted or incorrectly installed S-Link, and what were the results?

*By misrouted, I'm talking a standard installation of a S-link, minus the locking hitch. The S-link would simply be looped twice as normal, and then slipped over the "knob" instead of passing through under the knob, then over it. (See attached picture courtesy of PD's Install manual)

If it was summer, I might be inclined to test this myself (after strapping on a tertiary of course).

Thanks!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Awesome, Thanks a bunch!

So, I checked the article out, but it doesn't really show how the slinks were "closed". I'm assuming based on lack of knowledge of that jumper, they were simply slipped over the "stub" without passing through/underneath as I am suggesting above. This would indicate that they held in this scenario.

Does anyone else have additional testing on this? Any riggers ever done drop tests in the loft with an incorrectly installed slink, or am I going to have to do it? Hehe.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Awesome, Thanks a bunch!

So, I checked the article out, but it doesn't really show how the slinks were "closed". I'm assuming based on lack of knowledge of that jumper, they were simply slipped over the "stub" without passing through/underneath as I am suggesting above. This would indicate that they held in this scenario.

Does anyone else have additional testing on this? Any riggers ever done drop tests in the loft with an incorrectly installed slink, or am I going to have to do it? Hehe.

I've never done more than a pull test with my calibrated hands. There are a number of ways to screw them up, one I even found after 2 master riggers assembled and I&Red the rig twice. That's what sealed the deal for me to get my ticket. It probably would've been fine....

I'd jump test them if I had less on my plate, but that ain't happening for a while. :S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I haven't come across any incorrectly installed slinks yet I have found soft links (Aerodyne Reserve) that were not tacked as the instructions state. The instructions don't say whether or not tacking is optional it just shows how they are to be tacked so I tack them. I don't know, is it laziness on the part of the rigger or is the rigger just taking it upon him/her self to decide not to do it. I don't get it.

I have only found the error where soft links with a ring had the locking loop formed by passing it through and over the ring, rather than through the soft link and then over the ring. That was on reserve soft links by Aerodyne. That would put greater force on the ring rather than the soft link itself, although it "probably" would have held. But it makes it easier for the locking loop to loosen itself off when done the wrong way. (This took place when Aerodyne soft links were new on the market.)

This error can't be made on the solid tabs of a PD Slink.

Oh, and that's one reason why tacking reserve soft links down has a down side: It becomes very hard to inspect for prior rigging errors when the links can't be rotated out of the riser for inspection.

I might well have missed the previous rigger's error had the links been tacked tight into the risers.

When Parachutes de France introduced the first re-usable soft links (circa 1996) they said to only slip the loop over the steel ring. I eventually replaced one set of P De F links - after they had close to 1,000 jumps, and they showed no signs of slipping. The primary reason that I replaced those old P de F soft links was that all the suspension lines were due for replacement.

Performance Designs' habit of closing SLinks with lark's head knots were introduced during the late 1990s. A few years later (2,000?) it became fashionable to hand-tack soft links..

Oh, and that's one reason why tacking reserve soft links down has a down side: It becomes very hard to inspect for prior rigging errors when the links can't be rotated out of the riser for inspection.

I might well have missed the previous rigger's error had the links been tacked tight into the risers.

Both are very good points. It is difficult to tell and after debating the pros and cons I decided to remove the tacking so I could see them clearly and then tacked them back in. I just couldn't, with a clear conscience, sign off on a pack job when I wasn't 100% sure the soft link installation was correct. Maybe I'm being anal maybe not. I respect what you guys who have been doing this for a long time have to say so your input is welcome.

i am NOT a rigger yet, but i do have a question, do you hand tack reserve slinks with supertack, or is there some other type of material that must be used?

I use supertack. Don't really know of anyone that uses anything other.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I always wondered if there is a preference or rule about which way the slinks should go through the risers. Is it rit to left, left to right...left to right on the right riser...right to left on the left. Maybe it depends if the rigger is le or right handed?

On my mains I have gone from left to left to right. Meaning I put the slink entering the line set from the left.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

I always wondered if there is a preference or rule about which way the slinks should go through the risers. Is it rit to left, left to right...left to right on the right riser...right to left on the left. Maybe it depends if the rigger is le or right handed?

On my mains I have gone from left to left to right. Meaning I put the slink entering the line set from the left.

Dude that is so black death;)

You should always go right to left with slinks both sides