mightaswelljump

Getting hands-on with gear before buying?

I'm a student working towards my 'A' license and am starting to collect gear. Was looking to get a helmet and some goggles. Whenever possible I prefer to get hands-on with my gear before buying. But with skydiving it seems most gear is ordered online. I'm in Los Angeles and I know there is a Square1 pro-shop in Perris. Do they have a good selection on hand that I can check out? Are there any other options available? How does everyone else check out gear (especially for fit and comfort) when buying?

Yep, you're lucky to have one of the bigger stores available so close to you. They should have a good selection of things to try on, and you can probably even demo a helmet. Especially with helmets, it's great to try before you buy since head size/shape can impact comfort.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I agree getting hands on is a huge benefit. Since you're still working towards your A license, on your next jump, talk to the coach before and after. Ask him/her about his/her gear, why they chose that container over another, etc. See if they have some time if they can walk around the dz with you and introduce you to some folks who have different gear. You can always walk around yourself and strike up conversations with people. I'm sure most would be happy to chat. Another good resource would be the packers. They will let you know which containers and canopies they like to pack, they don't, etc.

As for trying before you buy, there will be a difference between something with 1000 jumps and something with 0. That said, if you might want to find out the next time there is a boogie or big event at your home dz, or perris, and hop on by. There are usually a bunch of manufacturers there with demo gear you can jump, and most certainly try on. They are also a huge resource.

Sadly, there is no real showroom like there are for cars and no large scale department stores. Remember, most of the gear is custom/hand made.

long story short, id say your best bet is to bring it up with your coach/instructor your next jump and see how they can help.

Sadly, there is no real showroom like there are for cars and no large scale department stores. Remember, most of the gear is custom/hand made.

Not true. Be careful what info you pass on to young jumpers.
Oh, wait...you ARE a young jumper.

long story short, id say your best bet is to bring it up with your coach/instructor your next jump and see how they can help.

True to a point. For the OP, his best bet would be to go to Perris in person and try on the helmets and goggles. NWFlyer already mentioned that.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The bigger boogies are great for checking out gear. There are usually a bunch of manufacturer's reps out there trying to sell stuff.
You can usually demo canopies, containers, even helmets (the Skysystems dude would let you demo a helmet if you let him hold your Driver's License as collateral).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo