what did you Americans think of Bowling for Columbine?

I think it is a must see. The fact are clear, people kill people but people with guns kill more people. In England for instance you can count the deaths attributed to guns using only your standerd hands and feet. In the U.S. death from guns add up to 20,000 or so each year. Why you ask? well in England guns are illegal, even the cops dont have them, and in the U.S......well I think you know how all us bubbas think about guns (I am getting that warm fuzzy feeling). I should state that I kill deer every year with a gun (usually 44 mag but 30-06 on occasion) but thats what guns do, they kill. In fact thats what they (guns) are designed for, killing that is. I like to hunt even though it is tough to pull the trigger sometimes, It gives me a better appreciation for how many creatures die every year for me to live. But guns dont discriminate between deer and people and unless you are doing a Jeffery Damer thing then maybe it is best we dont have the capability to use them on eachother

Jim

Don´t belive the hype

Michael Moore preached nothing in this documentary. he raised questions, he posed possible answers, but in the end declared nothing.

Which is my major criticism of him. I saw him interviewed about the film. He did a recap of what he filmed. Basically, he didn't say anything new. Just regurgitated a bunch of obvious fluff that everyone knows. I think he has tried to make a career out of being a political gadfly. Just irritating everyone without illuminating.

If he was really a good investigative journalist, he would uncover enough information that the public could make an informed decision. He draws no conclusions from his films because they contain no new valuable information.

I hate watching "investigative" type films/stories that have no point. He never arrives at one.

However, I have seen about 8 interview with Marilyn Manson. Despite whatever level of weirdness that he has achieved, I have really enjoyed every interview that I have ever seen with this guy. He is really interesting to listen to.

For what it's worth, I went to see it with my friend Glenn, who is a gun-owner and NRA member. He actually really enjoyed it. It's certainly interesting that Canadians own guns and yet somehow don't manage to shoot each other much. It was thought-provoking, but it didn't have any good answers to the questions it raised. It was nice to hear "Take The Skinheads Bowling" in a movie, though.

Look at who is killing and shooting each other in this country... It isn't the people like me, white male, graduate degree, live in the suburbs.... Does Canada have the same ethnic composition as the US, with the associated drug/welfare/etc state? NO!!! I used to live within a mile of Columbine, and really am sick of hearing about it. You fools that are willing to give inanimate objects personalities should also make the inanimate objects responsible for their actions. My AR-15s don't walk around at night on their own, looking for people to kill... Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than all my guns combined, but he still gets to drive. Not to get into a gun control debate, but anti-gunners just piss me off about as much as people that drive slow in the left lane...

------------------------------------------
Getting banned isn't that bad......

I hate watching "investigative" type films/stories that have no point. He never arrives at one.

i fully respect that he doesn't deliver what you're looking for in a film of this sort, but i personally feel that there is a great deal of value in something that will make people think - if they would open their minds enough to consider the information being presented them. i think the best educated people are those who have considered myriad viewpoints on any topic and are able to make decisions and conclusions of their own. if i want someone to preach to me, i'll go to church.
spiral out...keep going...

>It isn't the people like me, white male, graduate degree, live in the
> suburbs . . .

Ironic you should say that, since Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were white male, coming from average middle class suburban families. Apparently, at least in that area in Colorado, that's _exactly_ who kills people. Looks like it's not only the blacks, hispanics and other undesirables that kill people with guns.

I saw it thought that it was a great piece...

It wasn't in a lot of theatres here in Winnipeg but it was thought provoking and illustrative.

They even visited us Canadians in the piece.

To all of you who are scared of what this piece has to say, I say give it a chance and keep an open mind. I think that it was well laid out.

Of course there is definitely a slant(what program that we watch isn't) to it, but it never gives a reason for the amount of shootings in USA just has us ask questions.

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

If he is, it is for the purpose of making the NRA spend money to send him a magazine. He is a complete anti-gun person. He is a liberal on his soapbox. How else do you explain the "returning bullets to K-Mart" stunt?

Michael Moore is a lifetime NRA member first of all I don't know what the returning bullets thing was about. Second of all I think the documentary basically said the media is the problem, which I agree with. Look at how they report on skydiving for f*** sakes!!! They just show things to perpetuate fear. That was a big issue in the movie. Fear motivates people to buy things irrationally. People listen to everything it tells them. Buy new diet plans--don't get off your ass and stop watching TV.

I thought the documentary showcased one of the things skydivers have figured out in life. You have to take responsibility for your own life and actions and its up to you to decide how dangerous things are without letting the media tell you. Virtually everything you here on the news is someone else's spin on a fact base that you can find out yourself. Why let someone think for you?

excellent film. the only agenda i saw was to try and answer the question: why do so many americans die from bullet poisoning?

i have owned handguns and will again. I do not belong to the NRA and oppose gun control but i thought that the course of direct action taken against Kmart by a young man crippled by bullets purchased in bulk by a minor was simply brilliant.

Ela was also really impressed by the film and she had exquisite taste, especially in men. :ph34r: So that's 4 thumbs up here.

namaste, motherfucker.