what did you Americans think of Bowling for Columbine?

Ok, I thought this was a fund-raiser for the victims of school shootings or something... WTH was it?

a documentary trying to find an answer to the question of why people in the States have a higher propensity to picking up a gun and shooting people

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

You should want to be informed on all fronts otherwise all you have is the information fed to you by multi national corporations and the Whitehouse pressroom.

ramon
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

espeically you gun owners.
If you haven't seen it, make sure you do. One of the decades unmissable documentaries as far as im concerned.

Even National Public Radio panned it.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

If you haven't seen it, make sure you do. One of the decades unmissable documentaries as far as im concerned.

Even National Public Radio panned it.

why though? Its received crital acclaim from a number of publications here, not to mention the Speical Jury prize at Cannes (yeah i know that might not count towards much, but its the first time in 56 years its been awarded to a documentary)

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I despise that stupid fat f***er. He's like a left-wing Rush Limbaugh.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I despise that stupid fat f***er. He's like a left-wing Rush Limbaugh.

well i think the point of the doc is to not concerntrate on him per se, but to listen to the questions he is raising and to think about what is being talked about. Why did national radio pan it?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I haven't seen it except for (now don't laugh here) some bits and pieces of it that were showing on Oprah once when she interviewed the guy. Everything I saw made me think of a couple things. One, I really dislike Oprah, and two, I get so tired of the media hammering on anyone with a slightly conservative outlook on anything. Now, I'm not claiming to be all that conservative. When I vote, if I vote, I never vote a straight ticket. Hell, half the time I don't vote because I feel dirty picking between two or three or however many is running dumbasses. When it comes to guns, though, I'm all for anyone who wants to should be able to own one. Maybe not violent criminals since I think if they already proved that they will hurt people we shouldn't equip them for that, but if I want to own the biggest, meanest handgun in the world and I'm not a violent felon, so be it. I don't need to feel guilty for having a good time when I shoot it, I don't need to apologize to people who think guns are evil. This documentary you're talking about, yeah, it seems well done. It also seems like a bunch of b.s. propaganda about the evil ways of americans who own guns. And now I'll get off my soap box.

Truman Sparks for President

I haven't seen it except for (now don't laugh here) some bits and pieces of it that were showing on Oprah once when she interviewed the guy. Everything I saw made me think of a couple things. One, I really dislike Oprah, and two, I get so tired of the media hammering on anyone with a slightly conservative outlook on anything. Now, I'm not claiming to be all that conservative. When I vote, if I vote, I never vote a straight ticket. Hell, half the time I don't vote because I feel dirty picking between two or three or however many is running dumbasses. When it comes to guns, though, I'm all for anyone who wants to should be able to own one. Maybe not violent criminals since I think if they already proved that they will hurt people we shouldn't equip them for that, but if I want to own the biggest, meanest handgun in the world and I'm not a violent felon, so be it. I don't need to feel guilty for having a good time when I shoot it, I don't need to apologize to people who think guns are evil. This documentary you're talking about, yeah, it seems well done. It also seems like a bunch of b.s. propaganda about the evil ways of americans who own guns. And now I'll get off my soap box.

the thing is Moore is an NRA member. I liked to shoot too, when you could shoot full bore handguns here before they were outlawed (and in the UK if you tell people you like to shoot guns they look at you like you are psychotic).
The point is, its not some liberal going up on his soap box saying gun ownership is bad. Its a guy saying "we have a lot of people with guns - but so does Canade (10 million familes, 7 million guns) but why in the US do people so readily pick them up to shoot other people?"

Thats what the point is. Its not anti gun, anti shooting anti hunting propoganda (unless you count the hilarious anecdote about the beagle with the gun strapped to his back accidentally shooting his owner in the leg). Its a thought provoking look at trying to understand why people seem to be so quick to pull a trigger there compared to other places, even those places with high gun ownership like Canada.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

but why in the US do people so readily pick them up to shoot other people?"

Population density and culture. It's not really hard to figure out.

I dont think population density amounts to too much, because it should surely be based on a people:guns ratio right? Also, with the culture thing - isn't it therefore worth asking the question why is the culture that way inclined and from there trying to think about making changes to it? Finding out the answers is not even half the battle.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

>>the thing is Moore is an NRA member<<

If he is, it is for the purpose of making the NRA spend money to send him a magazine. He is a complete anti-gun person. He is a liberal on his soapbox. How else do you explain the "returning bullets to K-Mart" stunt?

If you think this is thought-provoking, read Brave New World.

BMcD...

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

because it should surely be based on a people:guns ratio right?

Why would it have ANYTHING to do with guns? Certainly they are accessable but aren't they just about anywhere in the world. I can't think of anywhere in the world that you couldn't get a gun if you wanted one bad enough. There was murder LONG before guns. As population density increases so does crime. In all forms. Haven't you seen the monkey experiment where they start with a few monkies in a large cage and then keep adding more. Mo Monkies....Mo problems.....:D Kinda like the Palestinians and Israelis.

His agenda is not hidden. He openly supports all the victim-disarmament groups.

Strange. In the movie he worked for a while with the theory that it was the guns that caused all the deaths. Like most of the other theories he tested, it failed.
---
PCSS #10

i thought it was brilliant. and i have a real problem with everyone posting here who has such an opinion on it and hasn't even seen it! Michael Moore preached nothing in this documentary. he raised questions, he posed possible answers, but in the end declared nothing. he stated facts bringing to light the corrupt and manipulative nature of the us government and the media (which was no secret to begin with). i, for one, am so glad he made this documentary. and i, for one, wish americans could open up their eyes enough to see that this country is just as fucked up as any other - and it's only getting worse.

amazingly enough, of all the people MM interviewed in this film, i thought the most intelligent thoughts came from Marilyn Manson.
spiral out...keep going...