wlie

OR - Volcanic eruption early warning

Due to last Feb's earthquake in Seattle, I've become quite paranoid about preparedness. Reading the headlines today, a minor quake on the South Sister in the 3 sisters region could indicate an eruption in the near future.

Please make yourself an emergency kit for your home, work, car, ++. Review evacuation routes, etc too.

For me, I always have a 72hr keep-me-alive bag. I also have one in the car along with a tent, tarp, duraflame logs, radio, ++. If you need ideas, take a look at http://www.equipped.org/ as it is filled with lots of very useful info.
My other ride is the relative wind.

There's a great view of all the mountains mentioned in that article from Skydive Oregon in Mollala. Always makes for quite a view for the ride up, as well as the jump down... ;)

Edit: I swear I thought I wrote in a comment about being prepared, must of "thought" it instead of typing it. :S So, here goes...

If in doubt about getting prepared (newcomers), someone advised me once to start off by keeping it simple. I have a small first aid kit, and a blanket. I've resisted food items myself, but have water too. Just two cents...

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

The scariest thought would be if Mt. Rainier decided to become active! We have bottled water, food, etc. on hand for such emergencies but a 'kit' is a good idea. I will have to 'box' all this stuff together just for that purpose.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

To list what I have in my 72hr kit:

Cloths -
t-shirt
pants
underwear
socks
poncho

Food -
powerbars
canned soup
water

First Aid -
basic kit
asprin
sanitary pads (sterile and excellent blood soakers, not just for you know what)
1 oz. Everclear

Others -
thermal blanket
pocket chainsaw
sparker
whistle
knife
2-way radio
lighter
sewing kit
flashlight
batteries
mirror
$50 in coins and various denominations

I have what I call a kit at home that's pretty much packed to go for camping. It's filled with dry and canned food, water, cooking tools, ++. In the event that I have to evacuate when Mt. Ranier blows up, I just put it in the trunk and drive like I want to win Daytona.

I also have in the office a repel harness (I work on the 7th floor). With 200ft of 11mm dry rope and a 15ft sling, I've surveyed all possible window escapes.

In my car, I've got tent, tarp, couple of chinese fighting sticks (about 5ft ea), rope, flares, glow sticks, duraflame logs, axe, first aid kit, ++. The only drawback is if my tank's near empty. In that case, I have 1gl to get me 20-25 miles[:/]

If Ranier goes like St. Helens did, the mud slide would probably bury Orting (it was buried by previous eruptions waaay back). I hope Kapowsin is enough up on the hill to be out of the mudslide path.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Yap.

And because Federal Way is really close to Auburn, this is why I'm doubly paranoid about evacuating the house too.

As for Kapowsin, it safe to say everyone in the Farrington family are pilots. With an Otter, a Caravan, and a couple of 182's, and numerous neighbors with their own planes, I'd say that neighborhood's going to be empty in no time.

Screw Ranier. I'm more worried about Mt. Hood. If Hood blew, the glaciers would melt into the Sandy River Basin which would punch through Gresham and possibly Portland. That's a good million people looking for dry land and breathable air.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Screw Ranier. I'm more worried about Mt. Hood. If Hood blew, the glaciers would melt into the Sandy River Basin which would punch through Gresham and possibly Portland. That's a good million people looking for dry land and breathable air.

What do you mean, screw Rainier? That's because you don't live as close to Rainier as I do! There are a lot of people in the path if Mt. Rainier blew!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Last time I counted they've got 15 bridges around Portland:o.

Anyway Narci, I posted this thread because Eugene is in the vicinity of the 3 Sisters. I wanted to everyone to be aware of natural disasters around where they live be it earthquakes, tornado, hurricane, ++. And have a back up plan when disaster stikes.

As much as I'd enjoy shopping sales tax free in OR when I have to evacuate WA, I would not like to deal with your state income tax.:D

Last time I counted they've got 15 bridges around Portland:o.

Yes, I know, I used to live there.;)..unfortunately the bridges, and most of the road are in a horrible state of disrepair....that's what I meant. It'll take a catastrophe for Kitsphkr..or whomever in Salem to spend a dime on the infrastructure up there. It's one of the reasons I couldn't stay.:P
Make light!

You left because of roads and bridges?

Not exclusively...however, as I stated previously it was one of the reasons why I chose not to stay when the opportunity arose (economic viability). Other reasons were: market size, Fortune 500 presence, pace of lifestyle, activities, economic potential, etc.
Make light!

The scariest thought would be if Mt. Rainier decided to become active! We have bottled water, food, etc. on hand for such emergencies but a 'kit' is a good idea. I will have to 'box' all this stuff together just for that purpose.

J

Well if Rainier went, wow, if it went east not so bad, if it went west, it would pretty much wipe out where I'm currently living. It was weird seeing "volcano evacuation route" signs. I'm used to seeing others (like hurricane and such), but Volcano?!?!? BTW, the moon rising behind Rainier tonight was beautiful.

Aboslutely be prepared. Some things to consider:

Maps: The route you think you'll use may not be a viable option.
Toilet paper: self explanatory
Medications: for you, any RX's and simple otc meds like neosporin and aspirin. Also don't forget regular bandaids. If you wear contacts, find an old pair of glasses (won't want to deal with saline etc.). Get the contacts out ASAP because of crud in the air getting into your eyes.
Precaution: if you're really concerned about volcanos, make sure you have something which will allow you to breathe - a mask, covering, something like that.
Other: Make sure you have an out-of-state communications point. Write that person's name and number down. Oftentimes it's easier to call out of state than it is to call instate. Also, if friends/realtives are in the evac area, make sure you get them the info so they can have a telephonic meeting point, and get updates as to where you are so as to be able to hook up again with them.

A few notes from experience:
Do NOT drive as fast as you can. Drive as safely as you can. In the '94 quake, which happened at 4:30ish am, lights were out. Consequently, we lost one officer who didn't see the freeway in front of him had collapsed. Further, there will be lots of people who are not in cars running around. Hitting one of them may seriously damage your only ability to escape, not to mention you've just hit a person. This also goes for animals (they get out at the most inconvenient times...). Do not drive the typical routes; every one else will be, and if everyone tried to get out of Dodge at the same time, you're stuck. Find rarely used (but serviceable) backroads, and take them (prepare first). Know how to get out in all directions - N, E, S, W.

And lastly, a 3 pointer is nothing to be alarmed at. There are lots of burps in volcanoes - look at: http://www.geophys.washington.edu/recenteqs/ to see your local seismicity. And then take a look at:
http://www.scecdc.scec.org/recenteqs/.

If you look south of the "crook" of the border of CA/NV, you'll see a "cluster" of yellow and blue squares. This is Mammoth mountain. It recently had a serious grouping (last year or the year before) of nearly 100 eq's up to a 4, and nothing came of it. 3 pointers are almost unfelt. Here in So Ca, it takes something on the order of a 4.3 (+/-) to alert the local emergency services, and a 4 is barely felt if more than 10 miles away. A 5 will make you sit up and take notice, and a 6 is something you're gonna want to watch yourself with. From a 6 upward, you will want to take protective action, but do not go running around outside. That can kill you faster than a quake will. Yes, they are scary. Yes, they are really noisy. Yes, they can be very dangerous. But the majority of quakes are 3.5 and under, and you aren't even really aware they happen. I've been through quite a few biggies, both here and up north, and managed to survive each one with less injury than a really bad landing skydiving.

There are significant indicators that the USGS watches constantly, and very rarely will a volcano erupt without the USGS sending out an alert. Remember Mt. St. Helens? They didn't know when, but they knew it was likely to go...and took precautions. That was what, 20 years ago? The science has significantly increased, and the warnings are far more accurate now.

Be far more concerned about eq's, where ever you live. The USGS has not been able to develop a system of precursor events/signals, and cannot be even inaccurately predicted. This isn't to say there aren't signals, but...

And of course, now that I've said that, I'll say this:
There is far more unknown than is known about eq's and volcanos. Always be prepared, and never be panicked.

I'm no geologist, and certainly no seismologist, but like I said, I've seen my share. If anyone has any questions, please ask...be happy to help.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Well if Rainier went, wow, if it went east not so bad, if it went west, it would pretty much wipe out where I'm currently living. It was weird seeing "volcano evacuation route" signs. I'm used to seeing others (like hurricane and such), but Volcano?!?!? BTW, the moon rising behind Rainier tonight was beautiful.

The nice thing about hurricanes is that there is no guessing. No "Gee, I wonder if it is going to erupt". We watch the hurricane come off Africa and wind its way here. Three days of notice. We just leave. B|