christoofar

Body For Life - Other Workouts

I'm curious. Anyone here on this plan? I am debating to swap my workout routine and go with the one this plan recommends. I have been doing Atkins for my diet (15-30g carbs daily), at least 3 5K runs for my aerobics, and weights twice weekly, and one 10K run.

As far as workouts, this one recommends workouts 6 days a week, alternating between aerobics and heavy weight lifting, plus it requires supplements. I'm sure that will probably make you bulk up faster, but will endurance suffer? Thoughts? Comments?

I'm sure that will probably make you bulk up faster, but will endurance suffer?

Any time you put weight on your endurance will suffer. Period. I went from running 2 miles in 14:30 one year to eaking by at 16:10 a year later. I had put on about 15lbs of muscle weight and lost about 11 in fat. The extra muscle burns LOTS of oxygen where the fat just hangs there..:D It's much easier to carry.

I'm sure that will probably make you bulk up faster, but will endurance suffer?

Any time you put weight on your endurance will suffer. Period. I went from running 2 miles in 14:30 one year to eaking by at 16:10 a year later. I had put on about 15lbs of muscle weight and lost about 11 in fat. The extra muscle burns LOTS of oxygen where the fat just hangs there..:D It's much easier to carry.

You know I sort-of noticed that. The musclebound freaks at my gym can't stay on the treadmill for very long before they are wheezing. I usually get along at a fairly rapid clip for a jog (7mph). At 6mph I am not even breathing through my mouth.

So, when I put on more muscle I shouldn't get too disappointed that I can't keep up pace. Oh well!

:)

when I put on more muscle I shouldn't get too disappointed that I can't keep up pace. Oh well!

Not at all....There was a big popularity of weight lifting in the military. Seemed like everyone wanted to look like an action figure. Only one problem with that....it makes you run slow. The military isn't usually happy with people that run slow...:D I have only known one person in my life that put on a lot of weight lifting and could still run fast. (6-6:30 min miles sustained) after he put on 85lbs. Of course...that was due to SERIOUS dedication and I'm convinced, liberal steroid use. Watched him go from 160Lbs when I first met him to somewhere in the neighborhood of 245lbs. This guys ONLY goal in life was to get the hell out of the Air Force and become a US Navy Seal. He did it...I have come to beleive it's more about striking a balance of bulk and aerobic ability. Gotta have the whole package.

Dude, screw all that diet bullshit. Set up your own plan. How and the hell are you gonna start working out 6 days a week? You gotta start up slow. Start by working out 2-3 times a week. Do that for 2 weeks and then step it up, increase your workout days to 4-5 and then gradually work up to 6.
While doing this, remember to grub like a mofo. You'll need all the energy you can get (ATP). If your goal is to loose weight i was given this simple formula Burn more calories then you intake (aerobic exercising). Im no freaken fitness expert or anything but i think most of it is common sense.
As for the weight training, its all up to you. If you wanna get buffed up remember heavy wights w/ small reps (in other words you want your muscle to tear up) if ya wanna just get toned (light weights w/ a lot of reps). As for supplements, id stick to protein.

PCSS # 1 Rookeskydiver
"Its a Wonka Bar"....."Go ahead Charlie open it, lets see that golden ticket"

I did BFL about two years ago, but I was only able to stick with it for about 8 weeks. I lost about 40 lbs of fat in those 8 weeks.

I fell off the wagon despite the great results I was getting, but doing it changed the way I eat on a lasting basis, and I have been able to keep the weight off.

BFL is actually responsible for my becoming a skydiver - the first time I tried, I was told I was too heavy to do a tandem. I really wanted to do one, and a tandem was my treat for myself when I made it down to 225. Now I weigh 195. I started at 265.

YMMV, but if you actually do what the books says (to the letter, with journal, pictures, etc.) and take advantage of the free 800 number, you WILL change the way your body looks.

And that's another thing to consider - BFL is a "cosmetic" fitness program, not one designed to make you able to run a marathon.

BMcD...

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Out of all the diets out there, it is by far the healthiest, safest and most effective. It won't tear up your system like the Adkins diet (medically proven to be horrilbe for your body) and a hell of a lot better and healthier then all those damned fad diets (read: Hollywood diet, etc).

Good luck, stick with it!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'll stick to eating a variety of differen't foods and just watching calories and fat

That's what BFL is, it basically teaches you what a healthy balanced diet is and gives you a menu schedule/workout schedule to help you actually plan it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah... I am kind-of concerned about going just for bulk... which is okay for appearances; but will make me a poor runner. I am really starting to get into the running and long distance biking scene, which is really popular in Austin now.

I've got several friends who are wanting me to compete with them. It looks fun, and a good alternate sport to do on the bad whether days.

BFL is a good program, although I don't subscribe to all the supplements they push. I'm not against supplements - I just think they can be overdone. And the recommended ones (EAS, etc) are expensive and not much better than the less expensive ones - really read the ingredients if you want to supplement. As a side note, I have a good (as in GOOD :P) friend that is a personal trainer and completed the BFL certification - she kind of got me thinking about some of the BFL ideas - a trainer can really help you with your goals and I would recommend you spend the extra money for one.

Also, I don't recommend the Atkins diet to anyone. Denying yourself any main dietary ingredient (i.e. carbs) for an extended period is not only bad, but your body goes into starvation mode (evolved from natural periods of famine in human history), whereby it will try even harder than ever to store fat when you finally start eating right again. The "zone" diets that advocate carb reduction (not elimination) are much better lifetime dietary plans and help you understand the link between carbs, insulin levels and body fat. They take longer than Atkins, but you should think about diet as something you do for the rest of your life anyway.

And remember to take your vitamins :D

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

As far as the Atkins goes, I am not zeroing out my carb intake to as low as it can go. I have eliminated almost all the processed crap out of my diet (i.e. pasta, bread, cereal) and I replace thinks like milk and juice with water instead. No carbonated beverages (of any kind). Beer is limited to one pint a week (doh!).

Dietary fiber carbs are good for ya... and I eat lots of vegetebles. I use lots of regular dressing instead of that "low-fat/high-carb" dressing substitutes that are out. I can hardly see how consuming processed sugar stuffs will do anything for you... and that's what most of the "low fat" foods do to keep the taste in their products. For cooking, I got rid of margarine and I use butter, no-cal cook spray, Splenda for sugar.

I also eat 4 to 5 times daily, so I couldn't say I'm really "starving" myself of anything other than crap. My cholesterol counts are lower than when I started the diet, and my physician thinks I am doing okay.

Ive been using BFL for a while now.

the lose wieght/gain muscle routine.
I havent been religious with it though. My schedule is still kicking my ass!

I dont think I know about the diet thing though. I see the opiton in input your own but they have a set diet you can use?:o

My photos

My Videos

the first time I did the bfl I went from 210 to 177 in 10 weeks. 18% body fat to just over 7%. Its a very good program because it isnt drastic. The working out is easy. 45 minutes for weight days and 20 for aerobic. The supplements are for meal replacement. You dont need them. They help me cause its hard to bring 4 meals to work. I have also used phosphagen hp, betagen and cytovol but thats when I was able to stay a bit more dedicated. I will go back to that when I have my own kitchen again. Its by far the healthiest diet out there. IMHO anyway. Good luck.

Johnny

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I just found theMeal option thing. DUH!

havent tried it their way yet guess its something to do! I'll letcha's know about how it worked for me.
the workout program that I used was good but I added to it b/c it got boring[:/]!

My photos

My Videos

I am a fitness instructor (one of my jobs)
BFL is a decent program.
Remeber when you do resistance training you don't make gain while your training you make them while resting. So when you work your muscles to overload, they need about 5- 7 days recovery. I resistance train 3 time per week, Legs, Back & Arms, and chest & shoulders. I also teach Body Combat Aerobics (boday Attack in USA) 4 times a week.
If you want to bulk up & maintain endurance you can do this. (check out major football athletes), the thing is that it will take you longer to bulk up, because your burning kilojoules really quickly, and if you dont eat HEAPS of food 5 -6 times a day you gonna find it harder. Also remember you should not really eat carbs after about 4pm (if you train in the evening) Evening meals should be protein and vegies.
But above all if your doing this and it's not fun,B| why bother. Life is too short as it is

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?