dfa2006

Pulse 210 in a g4 m4

I'm looking at a new rig, and for the sake of keeping the container for awhile I'm curious if I can get a pulse 210 into mirage g4 m4 container with a 176 optimum reserve. If this is possible It would warrant the purchase of this rig as I would be able to downsize down to a 150 someday. My experience is 46 jumps, currently been jumping a 230 and in street clothes my weight is 195lbs @ 6'01". Please don't get into the whole new/used debate for a jumper of my experience please. I have the money to burn on a new rig. Especially if its going to last me many years.

Ever jump a 176 sq ft 7 cell? Didn't think so. Want your first jump on one to be your first reserve ride? Bet you don't.

Over 1.2 on your first reserve is a good way to have the rig sitting in the closet while your ankle/leg/pelvis heals.

A better choice would be a container that fits a reserve that you can safely land in less than ideal conditions today. Not at some mythical date in the future.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think it would be a good idea to have a reserve 2 sizes smaller than your main?

Edit: The bytch beat me by 1 minute.

2nd edit: The Mirage site says an M4 fits a 170 "optimally." So you want to overstuff it by 2 sizes. Again, why do you think this is a good idea?

Overstuffing isn't the best practice. It makes it a bitch to pack, and it's pretty hard on the container. Stitches pull out, stiffeners bend and break, grommets pull out. Your nice new H/C wouldn't remain that way for very long.
And having that much bulk in the main pack tray can affect the reserve too.

Have you asked Mirage? I think it would be a better idea to call them rather than e-mail. You would then be able to hear them laughing in the background when they give you an answer. :)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yes I was told the pulse packs a lot smaller than other canopies hence my question here. And as far as me looking at the m4 with the 176 reserve I guess that's a combination of my JM determining my canopy control skills and PLF skills( ha) and my rigger pushing me towards gear longetivity. I agree with you guys on the 176 reserve thing. I might have to put my foot down and go with the m5 container with a 193. As I would feel more comfortable with that size reserve. And would still give me lots of downsize room in the future. And then I know a 210 pulse would fit in there

The Pulse does pack smaller...but at two sizes up unless you're 1) an exceptional packer or 2) hire really good packers don't expect any miracles...it will be pretty tight.

I've jumped a Pulse 210, 190 and now I own a 170. It is a fantastic wing (I think) but it isn't made of magic dust...

ETA: when I had my container made I told RI which canopies I was planning on using and they selected the appropriate sized container...vice picking a container and then trying to stuff in canopies. Might want to call Mirage and take that route.

The PD pulse does pack about two sizes smaller though, so it shouldn't be overstuffing.

Actually, it packs about ONE size smaller than a 9-cell of the same square footage/similar design. I own two Pulses, and switched from a Pilot to a Pulse of the same size and my Pulse definitely does NOT pack two sizes smaller than the Pilot did.

But as several others have pointed out, a 176 reserve is the higher-risk concern with this configuration.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The PD pulse does pack about two sizes smaller though, so it shouldn't be overstuffing.

Ok, I forgot that the Pulse was low bulk.

But the question on reserve sizing still stands.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I agree with you guys on the 176 reserve thing. I might have to put my foot down and go with the m5 container with a 193. As I would feel more comfortable with that size reserve

Whenever considering gear advice, remember who will be taking time off work to recover if it's too small/fast/aggressive for your skill level. It won't be your JM's or your rigger.

Besides. by the time you think you're ready for a 150 (IF you ever do; there's no rule that says you have to downsize and many of us choose not to), you're going to want another container. There will be some new option available that isn't available now, or you'll decide you need two rigs so you can dedicate one to a wingsuit, etc, etc, etc...