Xitesmai

Newbie Question - NVG's?

I was just reading up on the types of licenses and jumps i came across the "night jump".

In the service my team did night jumps with NVGs on their helmets and once under canopy used them to spot the LZ.

Is this not a common practice in the sport world? Just curious....sorry for my n00bness.

I was just reading up on the types of licenses and jumps i came across the "night jump".

In the service my team did night jumps with NVGs on their helmets and once under canopy used them to spot the LZ.

Is this not a common practice in the sport world? Just curious....sorry for my n00bness.

A night jump involves experiencing the limitations encountered when jumping at night.

NVGs would be counter productive with regard to that goal.

I would hope that officiating organizations (USPA, for instance) would dis-allow NVGs on jumps that were meant to satisfy a night jump license requirement.

A current gen NVG set up would be about half the cost of most people's rigs, and the hazard for snags is huge....

It also takes a lot of practice to use them safely, especially for landing.

And besides, half the fun of night jumps is the fact that it's dark. Using NVG would take that away.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Civilian Night Jumps tend to occur on full moon nights and often include supplemental lighting in the LZ. I suspect that the military avoids those bright nights for ops. If you allow adequate time for your eyes to adapt... full moon provides plenty of light for flying and landing.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Maybe it's in lieu of recent events of a fallen warrior, or I don't know, but it sounds like you are being a little vague about what you did in the Navy. I'm sure I'm over reacting, but I can't stand posers.

"In the service my team did night jumps with NVGs on their helmets and once under canopy used them to spot the LZ."

Let me fix it for you:

"In the service I got to jump with a special forces team one time and the team did night jumps with NVGs on their helmets and once under canopy used them to spot the LZ."

First thread:
"I've only had one jump in my life but what a cool jump it was. I was able to jump with a special forces unit during my time in the Navy."

"I was in BUDS so I know how extremities don't articulate as well in cold weather, and I've been in enough C-130s to know how cold a fuselage gets at altitude."
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I was in BUD/S Class 224. Was assigned to SEAL Team 5 from my dream sheet, which happens to to be down the street from the training compound in Coronado, CA. So those of us selected for West Coast teams we were able to meet the sailors we would be training under for the next year. Hence the jump. I got hurt with two evolutions to go and could not complete my training, thus no jump school, and no STT. I have never claimed to be a SEAL though, and never will. I didn't earn it. But you are correct that those teams use NVG's to spot LZ's. It was only my team due to selection, not completion. Sorry for the confusion.

As my rating in the Navy I was an IS3 at the time. After that I was designated 9545, and sent to Iceland, when that base was still in existence.

I also have some friends in Team 4.

Does that satisfy you curiosity?

Maybe it's in lieu of recent events of a fallen warrior

Sorry for your loss.

It does not satisfy mine; you went to BUDS 224 (by the way, the one featured extensivly on television), and have no jumps at all. You head down to a Team that you are not assigned to yet, but simply have on a dream sheet, and for some reason, they allow you to strap on a chute and make your very first jump. May make sense to others, not to me. Sorry.

It does not satisfy mine; you went to BUDS 224 (by the way, the one featured extensivly on television), and have no jumps at all. You head down to a Team that you are not assigned to yet, but simply have on a dream sheet, and for some reason, they allow you to strap on a chute and make your very first jump. May make sense to others, not to me. Sorry.

There were always camera crews for alot of the classes. I think even 228 had camera crews around them all the time. We did Dog and Pony shows atleast 3 or 4 times per phase. Whether it was reporters, authors, politicians or whatever.

And I didnt say I jumped with the whole team. Just a few guys on that Team.

Did you serve? In the Navy? Assigned to NSW? On Coranado? On the SEAL side of Rt. 75? If not, please refrain from accusations. Skepticism is fine...and zero fucks are given.

Pulled this from my service record. Hopefully this prevents you from making an ass of yourself in the future..

See attached image

Now can we stop talking about my service, and get back to skydiving?

A current gen NVG set up would be about half the cost of most people's rigs, and the hazard for snags is huge....

So say $4000 for a set? I'll take two. Last goggles I wore we're $14,000.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.