Virococha

What the heck?

What the heck is going on here? See the photo.

I came down from a jump, dropped my gear on the hanger floor, and when I started to pack I noticed this cord hanging out from under my reserve pilot chute. The rig is a Racer. There seems to be some loose and missing tack cord in one spot around the perimeter of the pilot chute hat, where it is attached to the top of the pilot chute spring.

Yes, I will have my rigger fix it. No, I didn't jump any more that day.

But I would like to get some opinions here of what this is, so that I can understand what's going on, and talk intelligently to my rigger about it.

Thank you.

What the heck is going on here? See the photo.

I came down from a jump, dropped my gear on the hanger floor, and when I started to pack I noticed this cord hanging out from under my reserve pilot chute. The rig is a Racer. There seems to be some loose and missing tack cord in one spot around the perimeter of the pilot chute hat, where it is attached to the top of the pilot chute spring.

Yes, I will have my rigger fix it. No, I didn't jump any more that day.

But I would like to get some opinions here of what this is, so that I can understand what's going on, and talk intelligently to my rigger about it.

Thank you.

It is hard to tell exactly from your photo, but make certain your poptop is 'snug' with the flaps and there is no gap. Believe me 5mm of gap is enough to have a problem with snags.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I would like to get some opinions here of what this is, so that I can understand what's going on, and talk intelligently to my rigger about it.

It's not a matter of opinion, that's a standard part of a Racer.

Those loops are used to snug the reserve PC cap down to the reserve container. There's one on the top and bottom of the PC cap, and pulling on one will snug the opposite side of the cap. Pull the top, and the lower edge of the cap will snug down, and vice versa. When not in use, they are simply tucked up under the PC cap for 'storage'.

That said, don't screw with them. Don't attempt to pull or stow them on your own. Get a rigger to help out with that.

Where do you jump that nobody on the DZ could tell you this, or even just stow them for you and get you back in the air?

Where do you jump that nobody on the DZ could tell you this, or even just stow them for you and get you back in the air?

Really, I'm more surprised that there really are people in the sport who don't know shit about the gear they jump, to the point that something as simple as this grounds the rig for a day.... RTFM comes to mind, like the day you get it out of the box or maybe before the first jump on it.

Must be a generational thing.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

It's not that simple. The last rigger to pack it is at a different drop zone from where I was jumping. In order to re-tack the hat to the pilot chute the reserve has to be popped open so you can work through the open bottom of the spring to put in new tack cord. You can't just do it while the reserve is still closed. And a rigger who is different from the one who last packed it would have to re-pack the entire reserve to certify it in his name. Riggers don't really want to give up jumping on a busy Saturday afternoon to repack a reserve. So, it was more than just a quick easy fix. The better solution is to go back to the other DZ where the last rigger works, and have him fix it. Since it's already his repack, he can pop the reserve pilot chute out, re-tack the hat, stow the cord, re-seat the pilot chute, and do all that without a complete repack. Making it more quick and simple, and cheaper.

It also wasn't wise to just tuck it back in and go jump again. It came out once, and it could come out again. Having a main canopy deploy with a foot of loose line dangling back there in the same vicinity is a recipe for trouble. The root cause of the problem needed to be fixed, and that's one missing tack and one loose tack, side by side with each other, which allowed that length of cord to snake it's way out of there.

It's incredible that the same guy from 4 posts up who ghad no idea what was going on with his rig, now seems to have a comprehensive opinion of the situation.

How it looks to me, and as it common with Racers, your PC cap is not seperating from the spring, the excess quick look is simply hanging out of the PC. This excess loop is either simply tucked under the PC cap, or some riggers might also run a single turn of seal thread through the end of the loop and the edge of the PC cap to hold it in place. Neither of which requires removal of anything, or breaking the seal on the pack job.

If there's more to the story, or the pic does not show the extent of the problem, that's one thing. If the problem is what I think it is, then you wasted a day of jumping looking at a rig that had a very minor problem that any rigger (and most long-time Racer owners) could have fixed in less than 5 minutes.

Just for reference, my first and second rigs were Racers and I have about 3500 jumps between the two of them.

this can happen on the odd occasion and also on other rigs like the old style 2-pin teardrop or chaser.
and i agree with davelepka, its a simple fix that takes a min or so.
although it does look like the RPC could be tighten down a bit, but hard to say if there is any other issue with it without seing the whole picture.

rodger

Hey have you ever seen a copy of the manual that goes to that system your using? Oh you haven't, gee wiz did ya know it's a free down load.... http://www.jumpshack.com/default.asp?CategoryID=Owners_Manuals

Here is your free rigger advice for the day...... RTFM means, READ THE FUCKING MANUAL!

(it's called an OWNERS manual for a reason, they ship one with every rig sold....FYI)

Since nowadays racers are kinda rare to see especially on the West coast and tards on the Dropzone try to tear them apart as being unsafe I appreciate him posting this and being under the scrutiny of some grumpy old bastards on this forum. (looks up)

I appreciate him posting this and being under the scrutiny of some grumpy old bastards on this forum.

Yes. While my post is a reply to the OP, the advice is aimed at all the noobs of the sport and or those reading the boards. You sign the waver, no one is here to hold your hand, it's up to you to understand and be educated on the systems and sport as a whole.

IMHO, there is no reason for rig owners not to know such basic information and functions of the gear they choose to use, more so when that basic info is covered in detail in the manual... They don't call it a "riggers manual" do they? NO!

They call it a OWNERS manual, and the idea behind the investment in publishing one and shipping it with every rig, as well as providing the same information on line, is to educate the people BEFORE they jump it, and where anyone who is able to make post to dz.com could Google regardless of of how rare a rig it is on what ever planet you reside and find the info.

So if you are one of those lowtimers or even an old fart who don't know basic shit about your gear..... STOP jumping and go RTFM first, if you fail to understand that info, call for help to a trained professional for advice, not internet rigging advice.

Like I said, must a generational thing.... carry on kiddies you are amusing & entertaining :P

It's not that simple.

Yes it is that simple. You should fire your first rigger for not tucking that cord back between the top of the pilot chute and under the hat; back through the hole from whence it came. It is the last step before sealing the rig. The cord is part of the "Quick Loop" assembly and is used to adjust the tightness of the closing loops and the ripcord pull force. You could have jumped it that way but it is always best to be sure. Additionally, the person who told you that dribble about having to open the reserve should not be counted on. They didn't know what they were talking about.
It certainly is not necessary to open the reserve.
If properly stowed according to the manual it won't come out.
BTW: Like has been said, READ THE MANUAL. If you had read the manual you would have know this. There is a number of other items you will have missed by not reading the manual, some might save your life.

... There seems to be some loose and missing tack cord in one spot around the perimeter of the pilot chute hat, ..."

......................................................................................

Wow!
That is the first time I have ever seen Cypres cord used for hand-tacking!
But what do I know?
I have only been rigging for 28 years?
Hah!
Hah!

Seriously, that is Cypres cord - a popular cord for making reserve closing loops. If you look at the other side of your reserve container - near the ripcord pins - you will see similar white cord.
The stuff poking out is just the "tail" of your closing loop.
Any rigger can stuff it back inside in two minutes seconds ... one minute and fifty seconds to find the appropriate tool and nine seconds to hide the "tail."

Rob Warner
FAA Master Rigger (back, seat and chest)

It's not that simple.

Yes it is that simple. You should fire your first rigger for not tucking that cord back between the top of the pilot chute and under the hat; back through the hole from whence it came. It is the last step before sealing the rig. The cord is part of the "Quick Loop" assembly and is used to adjust the tightness of the closing loops and the ripcord pull force. You could have jumped it that way but it is always best to be sure. Additionally, the person who told you that dribble about having to open the reserve should not be counted on. They didn't know what they were talking about.
It certainly is not necessary to open the reserve.
If properly stowed according to the manual it won't come out.
BTW: Like has been said, READ THE MANUAL. If you had read the manual you would have know this. There is a number of other items you will have missed by not reading the manual, some might save your life.

OOO I SOOO want him to reply back and argue the poiint with YOU.:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?