venturead

Gear service life

Many riggers have an opinion about service life for containers, harnesses and canopies. Can anyone direct me to research or a position paper put out by USPA, PIA or FAI that directly addresses length of service for those components or the materials from which they are constructed?
"You can't skydive if you are sitting on the couch at home."
Richard "the C" Eddy

Thanks for the link which addresses the regulation part of the question. Still, is there research or testing on materials or components out there to support a manufacturers service life claim?
"You can't skydive if you are sitting on the couch at home."
Richard "the C" Eddy

is there research or testing on materials or components out there to support a manufacturers service life claim

Not since the 1940's when they first formulated Nylon.

Most manufacturers I know only make service life claims which limit service life. Sell more gear that way. This is a small market you know.
However, if you look at even partially maintained gear made in the 1940 it is servicable.
The formal service life of most gear is 180 days or the duration of the inspection (repack) cycle.

Man you should see the 1974 SST I got from Billy Weber, it was his dads... while not mint condition, it's still very airworthy and jumpable, for those who understand the "complexity" of such vintage gear.... LOL;)

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

if we have a canopy exceeding a air permeability of 30 cfm it is ok if it is a round canopy even from the 40s

if it is a strato star well let´s look at the wingload :/

if it is a small competition velo it is not a perfect decition

the manual of a given ram air reserve manufacturer states the reserve is build of 0-3 cfm fabric material.
if the fabric has more than that (e.g. assymetric 10 cfm or left to right more than 25% difference or simply 30+ cfm ) it is ...?

are there anny borderline readings in the cfm topic available?

Thanks for starting this thread! I was just getting ready to ask the question my self, since my parachute us coming up on the 10 year mark.

My only guidance (or at least where I spent a lot of my time) was in the SPECWAR 3000.3B Air Operations Manual. It says inspect all gear at the 10 year mark and toss it at 15.

I don't have the same budget as the military. But I also have more control over the factors that would break down nylon and the other material that make up my gear.

Good read.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything