kpuser

Separating Main from Container

When I detach my main canopy from my container in order to sell it, do I keep my:
- Deployment Bag
- Pilot Chute and Bridal
- Toggles
- Risers
?????

Also, is it difficult to detach any of this stuff? It seems like it should be pretty easy. I've got slinks attached to a Silhouette 190 and a Mirage G4.1 container.

No, all that goes with your main is the slider and slinks.

It is very easy - but if it's your first time ask a rigger to show you.

Hooking it up right is more important than how you dismantle it!
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

The d-bag, pilot chute and bridle, risers with toggles go with the container. When you disconnect the canopy lines from the riser it helps to have a card board card to attach the lines to with like a zip tie. Keep all the groups together and mark them on the card.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Yes, separate all of the above from the main. They stay with the container.

As for the slinks - depends on what you agreed to with the buyer. They're very straightforward to take off.

No matter what, it's an extremely cool thing to do to send the canopy on a card with the line groups labeled. The manufacturers make them, but it's easy enough to do yourself; just get a good stiff piece of cardboard and label it front left/front right, rear left/rear right and poke/punch a hole through the cardboard and feed the line group through the appropriate hole. You can tie a rubber band around the bottom of the line group to keep it all tidy.

Your buyer will REALLY appreciate not having to untangle a mess of loose lines.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

No matter what, it's an extremely cool thing to do to send the canopy on a card with the line groups labeled. The manufacturers make them, but it's easy enough to do yourself; just get a good stiff piece of cardboard and label it front left/front right, rear left/rear right and poke/punch a hole through the cardboard and feed the line group through the appropriate hole. You can tie a rubber band around the bottom of the line group to keep it all tidy.

May I disagree ?
Lines on links.
Linegroups daisy chained.

Cards just add an extra step (I will go as far as say they are a pain in the ass), as any self respecting rigger will still do a full continuity check before assembly. My friendly neighborhood veteran Master Rigger seems to be of the same opinion.

May I disagree ?
Lines on links.
Linegroups daisy chained.

Cards just add an extra step (I will go as far as say they are a pain in the ass), as any self respecting rigger will still do a full continuity check before assembly. My friendly neighborhood veteran Master Rigger seems to be of the same opinion.

I agree with you on the links, but I also think it's one of those things that (as a buyer) you should clarify with the seller. The last main that I purchased used the seller didn't have links to send with it for whatever reason. I just needed to know that so I could make sure to have a set of slinks on hand.

As for your technique, sounds like a good one, too. I think it accomplishes the same thing as using a card, which is that you don't get the canopy as a nasty mess of lines. I typically do my own assembly on mains and of course do a full continuity check in the process, and having the lines organized (by whatever technique) makes starting that process a lot easier.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

:)

Personally, I am of the opinion that unless explicitly stated I assume links are included with the canopy. Obviously not everyone agrees nor adheres to that.

As far as "agreeing with my technique" - I find it baffling that someone would NOT daisychain the lines. Obviously that's not an uncommon thing too :(

Of course the major point that I was making is that the line cards are not necessary. Really, they just aren't. They are cool when PD sends you a canopy with linegroups tied to it using fishing line retainers, but overall they are just a marketing gimmick, an extra fluff that some people think makes it better looking. Functionally, they are rather worthless 99% of the time.

Feel free to disagree :)

Hey, the messier the lines are, the more money I make as a rigger sorting it all out on the clock.

But for the owner, it is nice to have lines neat.

And a card keeps line groups from falling through each other and making a tangled mess. But so does connecting links to each other, and so does tight daisy chaining, or even just using an elastic to keep the links together in one place.

:)

Personally, I am of the opinion that unless explicitly stated I assume links are included with the canopy. Obviously not everyone agrees nor adheres to that.

... Feel free to disagree :)

Parachute Industry Association Technical Standard 102 says that canopies are supposed to arrive with: slider, connector links and a manual.

If any sells you a canopy - with less than that - send them less dollars.
Hah!
Hah!

As for the slinks - depends on what you agreed to with the buyer. They're very straightforward to take off.

Don't new mains come with links? A used canopy should include everything that a new one does.

Not including the links is just rude.

Yes, Lisa, I've already been schooled on that one upthread. :P

And I agree with you, but I've had sellers not send me the canopy on links (or with any line group organization). In the most recent case I'll chalk it up to noobiness, but yeah, still rude to make me dig up a set of slinks and detangle a mess of lines.

Of course I've yet to see a new canopy come with the lines daisy chained.;)

There are other methods.:)

And I can believe someone in the business of selling used gear wouldn't advocate using line cards.;) They're not useless for new canopies or other canopies not on links. They give a starting point and eliminate the need to sort out all of the lines not on links.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Of course I've yet to see a new canopy come with the lines daisy chained.;)

I don't recall seeing a new canopy that didn't have the lines daisy chained.

Edit: oh wait... did I just totally miss a sarcastic comment? :$

And I can believe someone in the business of selling used gear wouldn't advocate using line cards.;) They're not useless for new canopies or other canopies not on links. They give a starting point and eliminate the need to sort out all of the lines not on links.

Agreed. I also prefer them even with links. Daisy chaining doesn't keep the links from flipping through the lines, and connecting the links together doesn't tell me which one is which. I still do a full continuity check after hooking up the canopy - but the actual hook up is much faster, and I never find errors that need fixing.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg