Tasadin

Canopy thoughts

Returning to the sport after 9 years and my last rig iirc was a Exe 150 main. I'm 77kg (169lb??) 5ft 10in and I have seen a second hand rig in my price range but its a stiletto 135 600 jumps and 140 reserve. I have checked the website and that canopy wouldn't be recommended for an intermediate jumper ( I only had 50 odd jumps when I stopped). What's people's opinions on the stiletto vs my experience. I'm woefully out of currency but was going to use the dz gear til I was back in the groove and before going to the stiletto. Am I biting off more than I can chew?

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

"I have checked the website and that canopy wouldn't be recommended for an intermediate jumper ( I only had 50 odd jumps when I stopped)."

...you answered your own question.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Your exit weight will be about 200 pounds, giving a 1.48 WL.

If you want to be walking without a limp, don't do that.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Returning to the sport after 9 years and my last rig iirc was a Exe 150 main

I only had 50 odd jumps when I stopped

Leaving out your awful idea about a new rig/canopy, please understand that even when you were 'current', a 150 sq ft canopy would have been a very aggresive choice for a jumper of your weight with 50-some jumps.

Did you weigh the same then as you do now? In any case, plan on jumping something larger than you last canopy when you return to jumping, not smaller (or even the same size).

You're going to want to start off somewhere in the 210 or 220 range, and go from there. The idea being that you want to start off big, and work your way down once you make a few jumps and prove that you're ready for the next size down. If you have to choose between going too large or too small on your canopy, the better choice will be too large every time.

If you're looking for gear, look for a rig that will hold a 190 main/reserve 'snug' and go from there. If need be, you can probably go down to a 150 main with the same rig, so you're covered if things go that way.

Otherwise, you need to realize that a lot of things will have to happen for you to get to that point. You'll need to get current, and begin jumping frequently enough and make enough jumps to warrant that sort of downsize, and having that sort of canopy in your rig. Even if you get back to the sky, and pound out 20 or 30 jumps right off the bat, unless you plan to keep up that pace, you need to buy gear for the skills you will have down the road. If your time at the DZ is hit or miss, and you're not making a ton of jump, the last thing you need to the smallest canopy you can 'get away with', because currency is a big part of 'getting away with' jumping a smaller canopy (or at a higher WL).

I think I've got a bit too eager to get going again:S. I did weigh the same back then but your right and I appreciate the advice about starting back with a 210 or 220. I'd intended to do that and then downsize to use my own gear. But I might just bite the bullet on rig hire costs and work though the dz gear downsizing as I go before I look for a second hand rig again :)

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

I might just bite the bullet on rig hire costs and work though the dz gear downsizing as I go before I look for a second hand rig again

That's exactly what the DZ gear is for, it allows you access to a variety of canopy sizes without having to invest any more than the rental fee.

Keep in mind that most rigs can hold 3 sizes of canopy, one tight, one 'just right', and one on the loose side, so you can downsize twice without having to buy another rig.

The idea is to buy gear that you can safely jump on the day you buy it. What's available locally, how good of deal you can get, or how badly you want this rig or that has nothing to do with what gear you can safely jump. All that matters is where you're at with your skills and currency, nothing more, nothing less. So what you need to do is first figure out what that safe choice would be, and then look for what 'deal' makes the most sense among your choices in that size.

Putting the 'deal' ahead of the main/reserve size when buying gear is the classic (and worst) case of putting the cart before the horse.

I've been lurking here for months, while pouring through my SIM and digesting everything I can. I was off seven years with a total of 68 skydives. I have to agree with Dave here. Upon returning I drove to Skydive Chicago (i'm in STL) and dropped off my rig for a re-line, repack and complete air-worthiness verification.

I have an old, albeit pristine Vector II with a Strong ZPO 190 and a PD 190 reserve. I have to say, SDC handled everything well, along with making me sit through a refresher course and jumping with an instructor to verify I could maneuver and jump in control.

In my previous jumps in STL at Quantum in Sullivan and Archway in Vandalia I had the pleasure of being taught by some amazing people, jumping on a few big ways and got some tunnel time in Perris Valley back in the day.

Even with all this experience for a newbie, I'd still list myself as a beginner/newbie and will continue to until I hit at least 500-700 skydives.

Read the forums, speak with your instructors, keep your mouth closed and ears open. So many amazing people out here will help you out if you only help yourself and display some humility.

Anyway, back to the 190. Strong only made them for a limited time, they fly like a Sabre 2 (i'm told) and I love mine. The re-line made it's flight characteristics even more aggressive, it takes VERY little toggle input to maneuver and frankly I was more than a little anxious on approach and landing, wandering if I should've jumped rental in the 210 to 220 range.

I've made four skydives in the last month, stood them all up and getting reacquainted with my gear is proving to be enjoyable. However, I respect the fact that my chute is, what was once termed high performance and I'm getting set up to do a canopy course in early 2013 so that I can gain the necessary skills to be a good canopy pilot.

I can honestly say, with the performance I've experienced on the 190, I don't see myself downsizing at least for another 250-300 skydives. The risk isn't worth the reward.

I've learned that risk from listening and watching. Too many people to this day, getting broken and/or dying under perfectly good canopies that they either aren't qualified to jump and/or simply because shit just seems to happen.

I'm 5'8", 180 pounds, exit weight around 210. A 190 really is, more than exciting, good speed on approach, etc...

I'd also like to shout out to all the wise ones here and say thanks, so much for your consistent input, sharing of experiences and love of the sport. Don't stop, people do listen (if not all) and the information is priceless.

Just my 2 cents, fwiw from a newbie. Also, search the forums here for Brian Germaine's canopy downsizing chart. It's pretty clear on what makes sense for all of us, at every level.

Jack

I think I've got a bit too eager to get going again:S. I did weigh the same back then but your right and I appreciate the advice about starting back with a 210 or 220. I'd intended to do that and then downsize to use my own gear. But I might just bite the bullet on rig hire costs and work though the dz gear downsizing as I go before I look for a second hand rig again :)

The cost of a rig rental/hire will seem insignificant compared to the cost of medical attention.
Gear has changed up a lot in 9 years. Get to know your skills and the newer gear; you'll be wiser in making decisions.

Want to say thanks to everyone for the really sound advice and I'll act on what's been said. I don't want to be another statistic and in my haste forgot about balancing experience, safety and fun. I'll check out the downsizing chart and read lots more and come back about rigs when I've made some more jumps and hopefully at that stage with a better idea than my first one:$. With luck I'll be first jump aff to see what I have forgotten/ remembered weekend after next and then the CI said he could make a decision which levels to do based on my performance and my log book reports from fs1. It seems like a sensible place to start and it will just be really good to be going out that door!

Thanks again guys!!

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

The cost of a rig rental/hire will seem insignificant compared to the cost of medical attention.
Gear has changed up a lot in 9 years. Get to know your skills and the newer gear; you'll be wiser in making decisions.

We have free medical here:P

In all seriousness though - 50 jumps is significantly closer to novice than intermediate jumper.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

[reply

Nah he's in OZ now, FREE MEDICAL ;)B|B|B|B|

Simon we're getting a bunch of new rigs in the new year, including some new hire gear.
Wait off until they arrive and jump a few different canopies.
Im glad you enjoyed your jumps this weekend.:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?