SivaGanesha

acceptable height differential?

I recently got my 'A' and am now looking to buy my first rig.

My question is pretty simple--if used gear is advertised as having been made for a jumper of a certain height, how different from that height can I be before the gear wouldn't fit me well? I'll talk to my rigger on Saturday but am interested in any preliminary opinions people on here might have before then.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

I recently got my 'A' and am now looking to buy my first rig.

My question is pretty simple--if used gear is advertised as having been made for a jumper of a certain height, how different from that height can I be before the gear wouldn't fit me well? I'll talk to my rigger on Saturday but am interested in any preliminary opinions people on here might have before then.

It depends on how much of both jumpers height is in their legs versus torsos.

The rule of thumb is that the main lift web should be your height in inches - inseam (no shoes, feet flat on the floor, measured to your crotch) - 20.

Ex: 5'10 = 70" - 30.5" inseam - 20 = 19.5 and my custom rigs are 19-20". A 6'3" guy with a 35.5" inseam would fit them well if he wasn't too heavy. A shorter guy probably wouldn't have stubby enough legs for a good fit.

You can have some one take your measurements as needed for a manufacturer's order form, call them with those and the rig's serial number, and have them tell you how close it'll fit and what it will cost to make it right if you want to.

You can have some one take your measurements as needed for a manufacturer's order form, call them with those and the rig's serial number, and have them tell you how close it'll fit and what it will cost to make it right if you want to.

Thanks DrewEckhardt--very good feecback!!
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

One of the most important measurement is the MAIN LIFT WEB. It is written on the rig harness generally on a reserve riser. To measure yours, ask a friend to measure the distance in inches between the little groove between the two collarbones below your throat and the highest point of your hip bone. Keep standing straight when doing so. Generally the rest of the measurements are proportional accordingly.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.