Maksimsf

Jump Shack Angel Fire or PD-R which one would you buy?

Now I'm definitely not a pro-strong advocate but if you simply take a look at the manual for the Quasar on their website it actually is the Stellar and Quasar manual.

"A low pack volume, 7-cell canopy manufactured with 1.1 oz/0-3 CFM ripstop Nylon. Spectra 725 lbs lines attached to stainless steel Rapide links are standard.
The Stellar line of reserves was tested with the Quasar II harness/container assembly and is approved by the FAA to TSO
C23c, Category B."

So there is some of the information. The weights etc. that it was test dropped for and recommended are completely different anyway. I would hazard the guess that many are exceeding those limits anyway on Ravens, PDR, Tempos etc. But what the hell - people think a 150 is a 150 and pay little attention to the fact that their high performance main is very different from an older generation reserve.

We have had exceptional service from Strong with our Quasar demo rigs that have the Stellar reserves in them. During our last visit to the factory we were told they are concentrating on the tandem and military markets. One jump on a Stellar as a main 1:1 and found no negatives as a life saver and as a canopy to get you into the demo target area or an open field after cutting away. My other rigs form Peregrine have PD reserves. Never jumped the Angelfire from jump Shack but was super impressed watching one being constructed at their factory.
www.geronimoskydiving.com

A couple years ago I took a ride on a 160 Stellar (loaded at over 1:1.4). It flew me right to the pickup point and gave a nice standup flair. It was my first square reserve ride and the smallest 7-cell non-ZP parachute I'd flown. I remember thinking that was really anticlimactic and that I'll never hesitate to go for the silver handle. The Stellar is definitely not an 80's design reserve.

To the original question - when it was time to buy another reserve I went with an Angel Fire simply because Nancy was so nice to deal with.

Tom McCann