smiles

which media player supports the most formats??

:DB|:D
My problem:
Toooo many players installed and they start to overlap on the media files they support...
of course each player wants to be your default media player.........

Which media player supports the most formats??

Smiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

trouble is if you use realone as well, you have to configure that to allow other programs to be the default, otherwise it takes over again. Media Player will probably accept the most amount of file types (plus it'll try and download a codec if you don't have it, but so will RealOne)

just rember to cut them of when you install it... each time it ask you to tell what you want info then chek it Off,beaware that at one of them you have to scroll down to unchek them all,after that you dont get spam;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

RealPlayer sucks. Unless you like to be spammed with ads, requests for updates and begging for money. Even then it sucks.

Real Player has tons of system files & quality seems poor/ just downloaded a so called "super pass for 14 days trial"..........lets see, why did I want it in the first place? Think to play music in Kazza- can only select 1 tune at a time- in Real Player can make your own playlist and play continuous.

What I'm reading from Quick Time- "they support the most formats"...

What is the best user friendly format?
RAM..MOV...WMA....
Does any have smaller file size??
Which format is best quality??

thanx,
Smiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

RealPlayer sucks. Unless you like to be spammed with ads, requests for updates and begging for money. Even then it sucks.

And to think Real Networks is one of the many companies in court against Microsoft... If Real Network would quit highjacking my file associations and spend more time working on a better product than bitchin to MS, I'd bet they would be pretty popular by now. Funny though, The head guy at Real was one of the board members of MS, makes me think Bill pissed off the wrong dude!

I use WinAMP and Windows Media Player, I only have Real Player installed so I can rip ram files into mp3s :)

James

AAAAA - American Association Against Acronym Abuse.

What I'm reading from Quick Time- "they support the most formats"...

What is the best user friendly format?
RAM..MOV...WMA....
Does any have smaller file size??
Which format is best quality??

thanx,
Smiles;)

Quick time seems really slow for playing large mov files on any of my systems when you try to skip back or forth... so it's used only in those desprate times when I spot another skydiving vid.

I'd have to say WMA is the most user friendly, since it's backed by Windows and all, plus IIRC WinAMP can play them too!

As for the size comparasin, damn, you got me. I'd say it's kinda hard to compare as each has their own pros and cons

James

AAAAA - American Association Against Acronym Abuse.

Think to play music in Kazza- can only select 1 tune at a time-

you can use win mediaplayer to that aswell... If you use win system then mark one song by your mous ,them press ctrl and A then it all turns blue,then rigthy clik on it and say play...

or just simply put it all into the medialist in the player..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Having just moved to Gentoo Linux I am still trying to find fomething that does it all. On Windows Winamp played everything but .rm and .qt/.mov.

Wouldn't want to touch any incarnation of Realplayer with...anything.
---
PCSS #10

Ideally for high quality video you use Quicktime. Medium and low use WMA. Streaming I'll go with ASF over RAM anyday of the week. (All though I've got all the stuff to capture ASF and convert on the fly to WMV ;))

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Quick time seems really slow for playing large mov files on any of my systems when you try to skip back or forth... so it's used only in those desprate times when I spot another skydiving vid.

As for the size comparasin, damn, you got me. I'd say it's kinda hard to compare as each has their own pros and cons

James

I can't figure out why some .mov files won't allow you to shuttle back and forth either. I use QT all the time and when I open really large DV files in it I can shuttle easily but I've downloaded a few that do exactly what you describe. I use QT to prepare different sizes of videos..to put on the web or put on a cd for someone. As Phree notes, you can make very high quality files...large files but excellent quality.

The size of files in .mov depends on the codec (Sorenson, H.263, Cinepak, etc), frame rate (15fps, 30 fps), key frame rate(every 5 frames, every 10 frames, etc) and size of the video(320x240, 240x180, etc). QT Pro is a very useful little program for creating files of various sizes , etc for various uses and qualities and for doing some conversions.

But, I think that you have to have more than one player. Windows Media Player and Quicktime are what I use as well as one other for divx files.

If the file is in RAM format I don't need to see it. EVER. I echo the above complaints about Realplayer. Pain in the ass piece of software. I'll never have it on a machine of mine ever again.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I can't figure out why some .mov files won't allow you to shuttle back and forth either.

It has to do with how the QuickTime movie was encoded; codec and key frame rate combine to make the movie either more or less easy for it to shuttle.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It has to do with how the QuickTime movie was encoded; codec and key frame rate combine to make the movie either more or less easy for it to shuttle.

Thanks Quade,

Do you know how to determine the key frame rate in a file? I see under Video track properties that the frame rate and codec are shown but I don't see key frame rate anywhere.

Thanks,
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

You want to look at the movie's properties.

In QuickTime Pro on a Mac . . . Command (Apple) + J, then choose the video track and look at all the different settings.

So, it looks like you're looking in the right place, but I'm not really sure you -can- see the key frame rates.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

speaking of "codec".
Error message shown when attempting to play one particular mpeg:
"Class Factory cannot supply requested class".
Flashes something about "searching codec".
Windows media player will play other mpegs for me...
just not this one...any ideas?
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

So, it looks like you're looking in the right place, but I'm not really sure you -can- see the key frame rates.

Which is too bad as the key frame rate will increase/decrease the file size and quality considerably if I understand their purpose correctly. I would find it helpful to learn the rate used on different videos I've downloaded to see what works for skydiving footage. Well, learning the frame rate and codec is pretty useful and the old trial and error method on key frame rates can always be used to find the sweet spot for a given method of delivery.

Cheers,
--
Murray

Windows media player will play other mpegs for me...
just not this one...any ideas?

I realy dont have any idea,but then again...
When i edit my video(in Pinnecal) i can make it in mpeg1 or mpeg2,what the different i dont know..You migth have to look for a updatede win mediaplayer.I use the one from XP and having no problems

Stay safe
Stefan Faber