davidclark

Square/Triangular folding of the slider on reserves

Hi all,

A few days back I was given a rig to do a reserve repack and while doing the usual reverse engineering I noticed the previous rigger folded the slider (very neatly) differently than what I do. He folded it into a square shape that sits on top of the lines while I use a triangular shape wedged in between the lines.

I don`t think there will be a significant impact in the opening of the reserve with one or the other, but would like to get your opinion.

i have been doing a sloppy version of your triangular fold for the last decade - or so - and have dozens of reserve deployments to prove that it works.

However, this is the first time I have seen that rectangular fold. I don't quite understand it ???? perhaps another photo, looking straight up the lines ???

Hi all,

A few days back I was given a rig to do a reserve repack and while doing the usual reverse engineering I noticed the previous rigger folded the slider (very neatly) differently than what I do. He folded it into a square shape that sits on top of the lines while I use a triangular shape wedged in between the lines.

I don`t think there will be a significant impact in the opening of the reserve with one or the other, but would like to get your opinion.

Very Interesting. I've only been a senior rigger for 4 years, packed nearly 300 square reserves but I've never seen either of those methods in any of the pack jobs. Do any of you experienced riggers know of any particular methods to avoid when stowing the slider? The method I use is the one Dave DeWolf teaches. I tried to copy the pic from the web but I'm having issues with my computer so here is the link to his instrucitons. The picture is on page 11 bottom left hand side of page.

http://www.hightimeskydiving.com/DeWolf_Pack.pdf

Hi Rob,

I am uploading a couple more pictures that I hope might make it easier to understand, but my skill with the camera is almost null.

Again I would like to say the differences between one or the other should be negligible when it comes to the canopy opening, but this is what I can think of:

- The triangular fold helps the slider face the wind right away while with the square fold the canopy will get some air before the slider is fully extended.

- The square fold helps distribute the material to the sides making the pack job a bit more even.

- When trying it, the square fold seemed to make it a bit harder to spread the grommets to even the bulk. Like it wants to stay stacked.

I am a firm believer that functional should trump neat 100%.

While neat, the square fold does not quarter the slider properly...

Agreed!
The more I stare at that square-folded slider, the less sense it makes.

Wow. Are riggers ever an anal bunch. Maybe we could all try simply doing what the manual, (PD in this case) says.

13. Pull up the slider by grabbing
the tapes around its center and
walking from the connector links
to the base of the folded canopy***

We can all discuss the fancy methods of making it look pretty, but the bottom line is put the grommets all the way to the stops. RTFM

KISS principle
Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

We can all discuss the fancy methods of making it look pretty, but the bottom line is put the grommets all the way to the stops. RTFM

KISS principle
Ken

And then I saw you avatar....
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

And then I saw you avatar....
LaughLaughLaugh

Now that's funny! FWIW that line twist was after a cutaway from a spinning mal, with an RSL. But then again maybe it's because of a messy slider!
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.