rifleman

Raven III vs. PD218R?

I recently purchased a 1991 TSE teardrop 1 pin which my rigger has cleared as airworthy and I was looking at pack volumes for reserves. The rig is sized for 220 main and 220 reserve but looking at the pack volume chart here

http://www.jumpshack.com/Read/Tech/canopy_volume_chart.htm

I noticed that the raven III (listed as 249 sq ft) has a pack volume of 468 - 515 cu in but the PD218R has a volume of 475 - 494 cu in.

Does this mean that I could fit a raven III into the same space as the PD 218R?

I've looked in the manual for the reserve tray volume but can't find the info anywhere. Do any riggers have any idea as to this information?

Many thanks in advance for any info/advice.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

Yes the Raven 3 "should" fit but the PIA volume chart should only be used as a rough estimate because it never seems to be consistant. Have you tried calling the manufacturer? They would know best as they built the rig and would probably know what would safely fit. The PD reserve seem to pack a little bigger than the Ravens, but you also need to take line bulk into account, theres a big difference between dacron and spectra. And just because it will fit in the container doesnt mean it will be safe. Im not familiar with the teardrop but I know with any exposed pop top type of rig you want a somewhat "looser" pack job so the reserve PC seats well with the container formed around it. If the rig was made in 1991 and says it will fit a 220, I would look at canopys that were made and being used in 1991 as a reference, Raven 2 with dacron lines, Fury 220,Swift Plus 225, all are in the 450-500 cube range. If the chart is correct I wouldnt see why the PDR218 wouldnt fit, especially with microlines ;).

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....

Yes the Raven 3 "should" fit but the PIA volume chart should only be used as a rough estimate because it never seems to be consistant. ... ;).

The PIA (canopy volume) chart is not consistent because canopy volumes are not consistent. Canopy volume can vary 15 percent from one batch to the next depending upon colour, which mill the fabric came from, how much latex is on the suspension lines, etc.

Also consider that Precision and Performance Designs us different methods to measure canopy surface area, while PIA uses a third measurement method.