ChrisD

Full Fitting

:$

So being older, I decided to commit to a upsizing of my reserve...OP 218 and continue with a Sabre 2 190. The question is should I belive the sizing chart and plan on a M3 a year from now and trust that Full Fitting is an ok thing to just trust UPT or do I use some common sense and say to myself their idea of full fitting and a little cement I can build a foundation. So the real question is HAS ANYONE put a full fitting main and full fitting reserve, NOT IN A MICRON, but in a regular 310 + V3 and have a no problem outcome??? Ya I know everyone is downsizing these days, but I an't gettin any younger...

Thanks, Chris
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I did call UPT, they kind of just sort of "Quote the chart," and then leave it up to me...there are a number of hard to pack stories here in the forum, I was trying to find more positive outcomes for those of us that filled our cups so to speak by sticking two "Full Fitting" canopies in one container. In a way this also is a loaded question in the sense that so many containers are geared for a smaller reserve, by "one size," what does this say about our mentality regarding ending up low? Which is basically where and when we might need something a little larger. Notice I'm staying away from any and all skill and experience discussions...

If I understand you correctly, you are moving up one size for your reserve but going to an Optimum from an F-111 reserve and you are keeping your current main? If that is the case, you should be fine at least for right now. Nothing should change much. It might even pack a little bit easier into your container... A little bit.

If you are going to upsize your main, get a demo for a couple of weeks. It is a cheap way to try out some cool gear and if it turns out to be a pain in the ass to pack then you need to weigh out the cost of a new/different container vs the strife of cramming that thing into the container for the next few years.

:$

So being older, I decided to commit to a upsizing of my reserve...OP 218 and continue with a Sabre 2 190. The question is should I belive the sizing chart and plan on a M3 a year from now and trust that Full Fitting is an ok thing to just trust UPT or do I use some common sense and say to myself their idea of full fitting and a little cement I can build a foundation. So the real question is HAS ANYONE put a full fitting main and full fitting reserve, NOT IN A MICRON, but in a regular 310 + V3 and have a no problem outcome??? Ya I know everyone is downsizing these days, but I an't gettin any younger...

Thanks, Chris

Thanks,
I think it's the description of "pain in the ass... for all to pack," vectors are 40 weeks out, I'm just trying to make logical, real world decisions, and plan for the future. The plan is to purchase the 353 size, even though a 350 with 190/193 will work fine. It's not a performance/ skill issue I'm quite happy with any semi/ eliptical 170 main / any 160 reserve, It's about increasing the margin with out adding too much weight on my back. My back hurts, it hurts to sit, and it hurts to carry 210 anything on my back. I'm 170Lbs and planning for the future...As long as I can continue walking I'm gonna jump! Thanks for everyone's help!

Chris

Vector did hint that perhaps the best course of action consideeering their production is so far off in the future was to put a deposit down so that "I'm in the Que so to speak." That way if I wanted to change container size..."The potential" to make a last min size change "might" be possible. It's the words might and potential that have me a bit buggered...it is my ebay money by selling off accumulated stuff (40 weeks out) I always wanted a brand new Vector and now that I can (NOT) afford it I'm making UPSIZING decisions...B|

Thanks all who have contributed, it means a lot to me!

:)
We put this one to rest, today we took a brand x container, with descriptions like: "loose, standard, and full / tight " descriptions and in fact tried out different canopys. Allthough I will not be able to try this with my new container months from now, I will not be purchasing anything in the "Full Fitting" category. We kind of flat packed just for time sake and although full fitting is as advertised and we had no major issues, it clearly as compared with standard fitting, is a pain in the ass. The seem in the bottom tray l/r flaps were too close to the edge, at first, a min or two and the residual air bled out and the pack job was good and tight, but you could still indent your thumb in the container. So I don't think the thumb push look it's not too tight test is all that reliable. Putting the canopy in the bag was not something over time that I would look forward too, too often. I mean if you pay someone to pack, then the tight fit might not be an issue, so thanks again for all of your good comments...you saved my butt from a poor decision...thanks.