LittleOne

Avoiding a canopy collision on final

I made a 90 degree turn onto final and was flying at full glide, an ordinary slow speed, straight in approach. I followed in another jumper that just landed before me and we were facing fully into the wind on a fairly high wind day (less than 14 mph). We were in the far end of the field but the jumpers in the main area were landing in the same direction.

Shortly thereafter, I saw another canopy coming at me from the right at about a 45 degree angle. Although I turned onto final first, he was carrying a bit more speed so it looked like we were at high risk of a collision. I could also see that he was heading that way because the flag he was following was pointing in that direction, unlike all of the others.

Since he did nothing, I applied about quarter brakes to let him pass. I don't know exactly how much horizontal separation there was but it was close enough that we should not have been there. I landed uneventfully.

This jumper has about the same level of experience as I and was not executing a high performance landing.

Please give me your opinion on how I handled this situation and any suggestions for improvement. Thanks!

Maybe ask that person a couple questions

1. Did you see me?

2. Did you see the direction all the other canopies were landing?

The answers would help him understand the situation a little better.

Good on you for avoiding trouble.

MH

With alot of canopy traffic in the landing area, it doesn't matter which way the flags are pointing. You must fly in the same direction all the other canopies are flying on final. Or land somewhere else.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

It happened to me last November. My final was into the wind and around 30 feet from the ground I see a canopy in a straight 180 degree collision course. Small flat turn to my left, collision avoided and no harm. After a deep breath, gathering my chute and walking to the packing area I look after him, very mad!!! In fact, he is a very nice guy with an experience level similar to mine who was absolutely shocked, he just had got mixed up and had confused landing patterns. I sure didn`t tell him he was pretty (in fact, he isn`t...) but my anger went away because I saw he was truly sorry, acknowledged the enormous mistake he had made and, in the end, no harm was done. But, WOW!!!

Always watch every angle while landing, never stop being aware of other people landing!

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

My final was into the wind and around 30 feet from the ground I see a canopy in a straight 180 degree collision course. Small flat turn to my left, collision avoided and no harm.

Outstanding!
It is great to hear that practicing and becoming proficient at canopy piloting skills paid off for you as did retaining situational awareness even though you were so close to completion of your landing.
Just a few simple maneuvers and remaining aware turned a potential tragedy into a great testimonial and learning experience.

my anger went away because I saw he was truly sorry, acknowledged the enormous mistake he had made

Anger:
You have touched on an important aspect of working with others with the primary goals being learning and safety. After having such a close call, it is easy to understand that emotions would have been running high and most certainly could have turned into an expression of anger. It is a good thing that you were able to stifle the anger and channel those emotions into a positive learning experience for everyone.
Regardless of the other persons attitude or awareness of what happened, anger will very rarely create an atmosphere where learning can occur. Expressing oneself through anger is never a good approach for all the obvious reasons, so my hats off to you for handling the situation like an adult – BRAVO!
I wish more people would follow your example...

Thank you for sharing this experience with us…
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I don't know exactly how much horizontal separation there was but it was close enough that we should not have been there.

I do not totally understand this statement.
It was close enough that we should not have been there?

Are you talking about horizontal separation at exit time?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Please give me your opinion on how I handled this situation and any suggestions for improvement. Thanks!

would you walk across a busy street without looking if you had the right of way? your mistake is assuming that because you did everything "right" that you should be safe. not so. people do stupid, reckless things under canopy. you shouldn't have been anywhere near this person. that's how to avoid this situation in the future. talk to someone qualified about how to identify the differences in canopies in the air, there flight characteristics and how to use the full range of your canopy to achieve more landing separation, both time and distance from other jumpers.

you shouldn't have been anywhere near this person. that's how to avoid this situation in the future. talk to someone qualified about how to identify the differences in canopies in the air, there flight characteristics and how to use the full range of your canopy to achieve more landing separation, both time and distance from other jumpers.

I'm sorry, but I don't think that is reasonable. How can you plan to stay away from someone if you don't know where they are going to land or that they are likely to cause a problem?

Your approach would work if the OP's canopy were abnormally large or small, or if they were jumping at a tiny piston DZ, but for a load of 10+ jumpers all landing in a mid-sized or small area with a Pilot 150, the OP is always likely to be in the middle of the pack. Staying heads up and keeping an eye on the other canopies - adjusting as necessary is the best you can do. IMHO.

I think the OP sounds to have done the right thing, and the other jumper needs educating about landing patterns, canopy control and general awareness.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Good on you. Under canopy, it doesn't matter who is right wrong or indifferent. You did the right thing - avoidance. THEN, talk about it on the ground.

Right of way is all nice and everything but apparently you conceded "right-of-way" to avoid the guy....good GREAT stuff.

I don't see that you could have done better.

As for him, passing to the right was the right thing to do. I assume that since he was flying a flag, that he had some expereince under his belt and was vigorously watching out for others.

One thing for anyone who would have said, "You should have moved over a little to give him more room."
That's all well and good up to the point that when you "slide" over on final, you may be sliding over into someone else's path.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It takes two people to have a collision and one to avoid it.

If you have a low altitude canopy collision, the only thing that will save you is luck (been there, done that).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.