djrpilot

Need help choosing a good rig…Javelin Odyssey?

A good friend of mine reccomended the javelin odyseey to me…alot of the reviews however complain about the main flap opening up. Theres so many mixed reviews on almost every type of make and model rig…I just cant filter out the main takeaways…someone help guide me towards the best option, $$ not an obstacle…just need to understand what will be the most comfortable, safest design. Period.

This comes up a lot. The short answer is that there is no "Best" container. There are a lot of good ones with different pros and cons but really, they are minor. All of the major container manufacturers put out a great product. The older Javelins had the problem with the flap opening up but that has been fixed for a while.

The skydivers who are in the public eye and who do this day in and day out primarily use Javelins and Vectors and Mirage. They also use LOTS of other stuff but I see more folks using those than anything else.

Here are the basics for whatever container you buy:
Get one that is sized for your canopies, not the canopies you are hoping to be able to jump in a few years.

Get your measurements done by somebody who has done this before. DON'T DO IT YOURSELF!

Darker colors wear better and sell quickly.

Get the safety options (an RSL at the very least or a Skyhook) They are not perfect systems but your odds go up if you are using them.

Check their delivery times. Vectors were running 37 weeks for delivery where most of the others were 10-14. Vector owners will say that that it is worth the wait. Everybody else will console themselves with getting to jump for most of a season with their new gear.

Most of the websites have good information about their products. A few (I'm looking at you Jumpshack) have a great product but you'd never know it from their website or online presence. The Mirage Facebook page puts out photos every week of recent rigs and it's a really good way to get ideas for creating your own rig.

A good friend of mine reccomended the javelin odyseey to me…alot of the reviews however complain about the main flap opening up. Theres so many mixed reviews on almost every type of make and model rig…I just cant filter out the main takeaways…someone help guide me towards the best option, $$ not an obstacle…just need to understand what will be the most comfortable, safest design. Period.