OHCHUTE

Size main? 215lbs male beginner

Hey , I just finished my course , have my A-Lic now, and I started with a 300, after 10-12 jumps moved to a 280, then finished my course with a 260, Just bought my gear and I bought a 230 main, take a look at Brian Germains downsing chart at www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf my dz says it is pretty much the law with them.

by the way this chart is on Exit weight (you and your gear)

good luck.

25lbs for a rig yes. Plus your clothes, shoes, helmet jumpsuit etc... figure 30-35# all told.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

In the event I'd consider buying some equipment prior to first jump.

An exquisitely bad idea.

1. You will likely use various sizes of canopy as you progress through your training.

2. The type of canopy suitable for a student may not be the type of canopy desired by a licensed jumper.

Regarding canopy size for a student your size: At my DZ as an AFF student you would be under a 260 sq ft main canopy until you proved that you were ready for something smaller. Other DZs may use larger or smaller canopies for your weight.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Thanks for posting the size/weight chart. I realize there is progression from larger chute to small as one becomes more experienced and renting eqimpment through that process would be most adventagous, but it would seem that once the decision is made to take the training, and stay with the sport, one might be on the look out for good deal on used equipment, for use at a time when that size of chute would be used most often. For instance the person above might have bought a 260 long before he ever used it. So why not keep looking out for a good deal?

If money is not a problem with you, then go ahead and buy gear, support the industry! Most people are not so eager to part with several thousand at a time.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Thanks for posting the size/weight chart. I realize there is progression from larger chute to small as one becomes more experienced and renting eqimpment through that process would be most adventagous, but it would seem that once the decision is made to take the training, and stay with the sport, one might be on the look out for good deal on used equipment, for use at a time when that size of chute would be used most often. For instance the person above might have bought a 260 long before he ever used it. So why not keep looking out for a good deal?

As someone that just came off my student status recently and have a wife starting the process completely...

Don't even look to buy gear until maybe halfway through your A license progression. When they say "you don't know what you don't know" they are right. Get some time under your belt with a canopy in general and you'll start to learn what type of flying you want. Just keep the money aside or start/continue saving. The deals will be there when you are ready.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

1- Take a deep breath.

2- Get off the internet (but finish reading this post 1st)

3- Go to your 1st jump class and listen to your instructor.

Geeze. This sounds familiar.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...we heard you the first time.
:D:D:P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

WE did, others seem to think he is kidding.

Seriously, you are putting the cart before the horse OHCHUTE. Take a FJC, listen to your instructors, ask them all of these questions. You cannot learn skydiving off the internet. This forum is a great tool and resource and question generator, but not the end all be all of skydiving information.

Seriously, you are putting the cart before the horse OHCHUTE. Take a FJC, listen to your instructors, ask them all of these questions. You cannot learn skydiving off the internet. This forum is a great tool and resource and question generator, but not the end all be all of skydiving information.

Just in case you didn't see that, OHCHUTE.

Just in case you didn't see that, OHCHUTE.

who are you speaking to?

I learned how to pack a chute on the internet. I learned how to take off the side view mirror of my mercedes from the internet. I learned how to make sticky buns off the internet. I learned how to fix the registry in my computer that allowed my cd drive to function from googling error 19!

How hard can it be: jump out, pray, pull the rip cord and land. Go drink a beer!

(I'm not discounting the value of getting valuable instruction from a qualified instructor but while I was waiting for my fish to fry I thought I'd type a few words.)

I've abandoned buying equipment at this stage in case you didn't read that!

I'll let you know what happened after I jumped provided I live to write about it.

Blue Skys!

I was taking the piss out of people in this thread, OHCHUTE. You are not the only person on this forum who thinks people can learn from reading things in books and on the internet.

You can learn a lot reading stuff on the Internet. Cetremie was nice enough to post a pdf indicating possible gear considerations. And based upon what I've learned by being on the Internet reading, I decided NO GEAR PURCHASING RIGHT NOW.

forgot to mention you learned how to fry that fish on the internet! haha!!!

First off, I wasn't frying fish. I had the SALMON steak out on the grill so I was broiling it. HA HA

I always thought olive oil and dill was best solution, but AFTER READING THE INTERNET I discovered: Paprika, salt and pepper. NO OIL. WOW. So much better than Oil and dill. All learned from the internet. If you want to take the time to learn from what you read, take your salmon to the grill with paprika, salt and pepper and let me know what you think.

HA.

I learned how to pack a chute on the internet. I learned how to take off the side view mirror of my mercedes from the internet. I learned how to make sticky buns off the internet. I learned how to fix the registry in my computer that allowed my cd drive to function from googling error 19!

How hard can it be!

Yip, you can learn lots of things on the internet, but where misunderstanding what's on the internet or using an inaccurate source might lead to your death, its not a recommended way to learn.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Yip, you can om lots of things on the internet, but where misunderstanding what's on the internet or using an inaccurate source might lead to your death, its not a recommended way to learn.

So you suggest that I not read, view, or discuss on a forum anything about skydiving whatsoever, yet wait till I get to the DZ to commence any learning about the sport? It's already been established here in this thread that I've learned not to buy any equipment until I've completed 30 jumps or so. I'm not getting this idea that you can't learn anything on the internet. If that is the case all newbies should be banned from this site. I think answering a newbies questions with bonified reliable information, as some have already done so is best. Not sure what you are offering here other than differences in how people choose to learn. If you have difficulty in learning things on the internet then that does not mean everyone else has that problem.

I'm not going to buy a rig now, but if I would buy one, even before my first jump I'd buy a 260. I learned that right here. The question has been answered and it's time to move on.

Have a great day.

You're getting way too worked up. The only thing you need to show up at the dz with for the next few months is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

As long as you have that you can just show up, the instructors will teach you what you need to know and will provide the gear.