md202089

what can i expect for a lifespan on a container

too many variables, depends on how you take care of it, sunlight, sand vs. no sand, etc.

my Javelin is 14 years old and looks great, kept in a gear bag and then in the house, not dragged in the dirt, packed out of the sun on carpet, sees sand about once a year at the beach
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

im looking at the vector 3 m series but would like to know what the expected life span on a 2300 dollar piece of equipment would be

With proper care and maintenance, it will last for 20+ years and 1000's of jumps.

If this is your first rig, this subject is the reason that you should look for a used rig to start off with. Your needs/wants/gear knowledge will change considerably over the next 100 or 200 jumps, and there's a fair chance that you'll want to swtich something about your rig. If you try to sell a new rig that's 1 or 2 years old with 100 or 200 jumps on it. you're going to lose a ton of cash.

Used gear, on the other hand, can hold it's value fairly well and you could sell something after putting 100 or 200 jumps on it for about the same money you paid for it.

Used canopies are also waaay easier to pack. If you're trying to do the deal where you get a container that will just barely fit what you're jumping now, so you can later fit a couple size smaller canopies in there, a new canopy is going to be a very bad idea. In a 'loose' fit contianer a new canopy is tough to pack, in a 'tight' fit container, it's a nightmare.

Used gear will offer the same functionality as new, and cost half (or less) of what a new rig will run you. That money is much better spent on jumps. What you want to do is spend the leat amount of money on gear, and the most on jumps. Having a fancy new rig doesn't do you any good if you can't afford to jump all day, everyday you can get to the DZ.

One thing to keep in mind with a Vector as well is the 10 month wait list. I ordered mine last month with plans to use it from a 190-150 canopy size. I'm flying a 210 now and should be near ready to step down by this time next year. Just make sure you're getting the most life out of it if you do order new.

Oh and that $2300 will go up quickly when you start adding options!
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

im looking at the vector 3 m series but would like to know what the expected life span on a 2300 dollar piece of equipment would be.

Like everyone else had said : Keep it out of the sun, store it properly and do the proper maintenance and the container will outlast you. Thigs like BOC, risers, pilot chute and possibly the reserve poptop if exposed will need changing a few times in the container life time.

One of my containers has 1400+ jumps on it and still looks like new. I did put a new harness on it last year, but the container is all original. Being tyedye it's really hard to see much wear on it.

I have had a number of 2000 and 2500 jumps containers come through and they were still 100% airworthy, although they did show wear.

Depends how well you take care of it, where you jump (desert v grass), Where you keep it (sun v shade), how much you sweat on it, how bad/well you land, etc....

I jump in a desert (bad); take OK care of it; pack it in the shade or indoors (good); I sweat a lot (bad, but I wash it from time to time); do the maintenance it needs (good); I have about 1500 on it in 7 years, and it's still fine, but the the padding over the shoulder is starting to get thin.
Remster