scottymccomas

Advice on this rig?

So im looking at this rig and its a '99 Infinity with a '97 Tempo 210

NO main
NO ADD

the guy is asking $1400 for the entire setup. I asked some of the guys at the DZ and they said its okay, so I wanted to get the opinion of the internet.
Its Monday, Ill ask the same question at the DZ on Saturday. When I'm there...

NO main
NO ADD

the guy is asking $1400 for the entire setup. I asked some of the guys at the DZ and they said its okay, so I wanted to get the opinion of the internet.

No.

Tempos made before 2001 do not have span-wise reinforcing tapes which makes them more likely to fail in over-speed deployments, like if you have a premature deployment freeflying or your AAD tries to save you after you get knocked out and are last seen on video in an unconscious head-low back track. (PD reserves of the same vintage do, Precision added them when they got to the R-Max, Aerodyne's Smart reserve always had them)

Having seen a guy spin in under a reserve split into 2 and 5 cell pieces connected by a single tape at the tail I wouldn't choose to jump such a reserve except in limited circumstances (I'll bet against a high speed deployment when doing classic accuracy starting with a hop-and-pop).

The price doesn't seem too good either. 1997 is about the time when $900-$1000 got you a brand new container and IIRC I paid $550 for a brand new Tempo.

Not having seen it, I'd guess about 500 for the reserve and $500-700 for the container depending on how well preserved it is and whether it has lots of bells and whistles and looks pretty new. If it looks like a 13 year old container, then closer to $500 even with the bells and whistles.

Drew is right about the span-wise reinforcements in that you would rather have a reserve with them than without them. However, Tempo reserves have been time tested and have done very well over the years. It is not the best reserve you can buy but they do work. If money is a concern, I wouldn't shy away from one. Do what you have to to get in the air then you can wheel and deal your way into better gear. There are certainly better technologies out there but if your rigger says it will save your life, believe him. If money is less of a concern, go with an Optimum.

In the last month I've jumped rigs with a '97 Tempo 150, '03 PD 143 and '11 Optimum 160. I had no hesitation at all to jump any of them.

NO main
NO ADD

NO main
NO ADD

That red/white one in the classifieds looks really clean, and it is a later model Infinity - designed by Kelly, not the older model Infinity designed by Larry Chernis (still a good rig, but...). My experience tells me that a 190 all ZP nine cell would likely be a real tight fit, better to plan on something that packs smaller than most if you're putting a 210 main in it, like something with ZPX fabric, or a hybrid fabric canopy such as a pulse, firebolt, or maybe a 7 cell. It might be worth a call to the mfg to confirm for that specific container, as their newest sizing chart might not accurately reflect their older models.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am