freekfly80

Do you believe in God?

what you are objecting to then is religion, not god***

I am objecting to God. I don't believe in him and I don't want to. We are talking about a person who threatens to send us to a place with death, torture, and anguish for eternity, if we break his 10 "rules". Even if I did believe...I don't want anything to do with someone like that.

"How happy can your life be when you think that every action you do, and every thought you have is being watched by a judgemental ghost.?"

nope the only thing that tells you all that is the bible. that is religion.

you are objecting to the christian god, which is not the same thing at all as God (if he/she/it) is out there..

i was once where you are. this does not imply better or worse

the more i searched, the more i realized that there are significant differences between belief in divinity (spirituality) and dogma (religion & mythology)

I am objecting to God.

Here's the kicker..."GOD" does not mean a specifc being defined by the Catholic church, the Koran or any ideology.

Those "10" rules (10 Commandments of the Old Testament) are part of the Christian doctrine that "defines" GOD.

However, the "definition" of God is simply "all knowing" or "omnimpotent" or "all powerful" because God is used in so many different doctrines, even those (like you and me) who choose not to follow those doctrines. ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Sorry Mindy but I am quite sure that men are the people who wrote down those laws and those concequences (sp), don't dis-regard a higher power based on the writings of men, do so on the basis that you think everything that exists is by chance. I would be dammed long ago if I were to live by the laws man has written, I but for some reason I am not worried about my place in the universe.

Jim

Don´t belive the hype

>, but your comparing evolution, to religion.

Sorry, didn't mean to make a direct comparison to evolution. But anything I do (or believe in) has to fit in to the way I see the rest of the world. I couldn't believe in any religion, for example, that sounded good but preached that man could never fly, and that airplanes were illusions. I might believe in the same things that religion did, and have similar morals, but I couldn't believe that man can't fly when I do all the time.

>how we utilize it is as i said a matter of personal preference.

Yep, and we are fortunate to live somewhere where we are free to have faith in whatever we want.

> if we didn't possess some sort of faith i doubt seriously we'd hurl
> ourselves out of aircraft intentionally.

Also true, although I think there might be a difference in the kind of faith you have in an invisible, unprovable god and a parachute you can touch, pack, practice with, and test.

Belive in God, the allmighty, creator of the universe? Well not really, only because its depressing. Meaning that our lives are nothing more than someone elses science project. Anybody everhad and ant farm? I do feel comfort in the fact that maybe when I die I can continue to "live on" in the afterlife.

Organized relegion? Blow me. I belive that anyone group, person, idea, or God that requires one to devote ones life, money, and ideas as demanded by the leaders or masses of said organization to that organization and its leaders is just well selfish. (for lack of a better word). Why can I just belive that if I do my best to be a good person and do right by others and the earth, that I can go on to that eternal happy place?

Oh and I have faith... if I jump out of an airplane I will fall, if I pull my reserve it will work, or even if I say thank you to someone during my day it might make their day better. My faith is based on past experiences. Not on the infinate wisdom of the history books.

Please take no offense in what I said, I believe all of you have a right to belive what you wish, and I respect you for beliving in something. I love you all, and wish you the best... but I guess thats the buddist coming out in me... ;)

Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

No. There is absolutely no evidence to support the existence of any deity.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Also true, although I think there might be a difference in the kind of faith you have in an invisible, unprovable god and a parachute you can touch, pack, practice with, and test.

i want to, but i ain't. each to their own, or what's the point? "ford's and chevys"
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

yes in one form or another...

Wingnut - I'm with you. But, I choose not to really think about subjects like these because it makes me thing of dying - which really just freaks me out.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

Me too.

People ask me all the time, "Have you ever questioned your faith?" And I can honestly say no. I have always believed in the Catholic faith. Love going to church every Sunday and I make sure I pray. I really believe God is present and all loving. Do I believe I am right? Yes! Could I be wrong? Yes! Is it wrong for me to judge someone who believes differently? Yes! Do I have the authority to ever say who is going to heaven or hell? No!

To me, it's just simply what I believe.

always believed in the Catholic faith

was raised catholic but i guess you could say i denounced my faithin the chrch after i moved out f my parents house.... i don't agree that they should tell me what i should belive and hw i shold live... (ie sex before marrige, condoms, homosexuality) i think i should beable to make those decisions for myself and figure out what is "holy" and what is not...... somethings from churches have come from the past because the church was trying to keep people alive or safe from now nonexsistent problems.....

***i don't agree that they should tell me what i should belive and hw i shold live... (ie sex before marrige, condoms, homosexuality) i think i should beable to make those decisions for myself and figure out what is "holy" and what is not...... somethings from churches have come from the past because the church was trying to keep people alive or safe from now nonexsistent problems.....

I agree!!
I believe in God, and Jesus Christ. I pray and have faith in that belief. I live by the belief that "Everything happens for a reason" good and bad.
However...organized religions have been used by man as a tool and method to control society..in all religions, christianity, muslim, budist, etc.

May faith does not control me, it supports me.

No. There is absolutely no evidence to support the existence of any deity.

1) The argument from Design.
If you found a clock and examined the mechanism within it, you would probably think that this intricate mechanism was not the outcome of mere chance, that it had been designed.

Now look at the universe; is it possible that such an intricate mechanism, from the orbits of planets round the sun to the cells in your fingernails could all have happened by chance? Surely, this enormously complex mechanism has been designed, and the being that designed it must be God.

2) The ontological argument
God is the perfect being. As He is most perfect, He must have all perfections. If God lacked existence He would not be perfect, as He is perfect he must exist.

3) The cosmological argument (God as "First cause")
Everything that exists has a cause. However, there must at some time have been a cause prior to all other causes. This 'prime mover' or first cause is necessary to explain existence. This first cause is God.

God either exists or he does not. If we believe in God and he exists, we will be rewarded with eternal bliss in heaven. If we believe in God and he does not exist then at worst all we have forgone is a few sinful pleasures.

If we do not believe in God and he does exist we may enjoy a few sinful pleasures, but we may face eternal damnation. If we do not believe in God and he does not exist then our sins will not be punished.

Would any rational gambler think that the experience of a few sinful pleasures is worth the risk of eternal damnation?
-So, how hard is the ground?!

Your arguments are ridiculous. There is no evidence to support the argument of complexity being the result of a deity designer. Complex interactions self organize all the time without a deity.

If there was some kind of omnipotent deity, its existence would be as obvious as gravity. But followers of deities always have the same problem: explaining away a shrinking god. Consider this: an omnipotent being who has the ability to will they universe into existence, over time is reduced to things like stains on tortilla shells that sort of look like an image of what a certain group of people think a proxy of this deity looked like.

There is no evidence whatsoever that supports the argument that there was a first cause for the universe to come into existence.

"God" does not exist. Never has, never will.

A book of middle eastern dessert mythology is no substitute for a fully grounded education in ethics and reason.

The ground is very hard and it affects believer and non believer alike.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

You can BELIEVE that there is not a god, but you cannot KNOW that there is not a god. It does not logically work. Unless you KNOW EVERYTHING about every atom and molecule in the entire universe, you cannot KNOW that there is not a god, although you may truly believe that god does not exist. For example, one of the many things in the universe that you do not have knowledge of, might be... you guessed it... god.

A book of middle eastern dessert mythology is no substitute for a fully grounded education in ethics and reason.

Then you shoud use that education to make an intelligent choice. I'm not saying that you are any lesser a person for choosing not to believe in "God" or a god but you should think about it a little more in depth. First of all you seem to think that faith in god is a bad thing but faith in science is okay. It is the same thing. Nothing in science can be proven and neither can that in religion. So you have randomly chosen to put your faith in science because that is what you can reach out and touch.

There is infact evidence to support that there was first cause for the universe. Everything you see, everything you can lay your eyes upon has a cause. So why wouldn't the universe?

If there was some kind of omnipotent deity, its existence would be as obvious as gravity.

Indeed, and I believe god is the cause of gravity and all things. To those who look around them, gods existence is obvious.

-So, how hard is the ground?!