HeadFirstDave

Pilot Canopy - LOOONG Snivel

Hey guys,
So I jump a Pilot 188, at just about 1:1 wing loading. Still new to the sport, but as I'm getting more situational awareness I've noticed a few trends with my canopy I'm not super comfy with:

First off, it takes about 1300-1500 feet for my canopy to open. This is from pitching to fully inflated, in the saddle. It will snivel with only the center cells open for a long time.

Secondly, as it takes so long to open, often one side's cells will open up just before the other, causing the opening to be on heading for the longest time, and then whip around 90 degrees or so right at the very end.

Don't get me wrong, I love the super soft openings. However, if I break and pull at the same altitude of the rest of the guys on my jump, I'm not under canopy until 1800-2000 feet. I'm fine with such a short canopy ride, but the difference between a normal canopy opening and having to cut away is just a matter of seconds without much altitude as a buffer. Also, it increases my risk of landing out.

When I pack I don't do anything to prolong the opening. I don't roll or punch the nose, I don't invert the slider, nothing. What can I do to speed up the opening sequence? I haven't sat down with some of the more experienced guys at my drop zone, but I figured I'd get some tips here too. Thanks for reading the long post!

-Dave

I have a pilot 210 at about the same wing loading, and have the same problem with off heading openings. Everytime one side will inflate before the other. I don't have as long as a snivel as you, but being off heading is a concern for me as well. Any packing tips would be appreciated.

I have a Pilot 210 ZPX loaded at 0.9.

Mine does not snivel as much as the OP described. I pack with the nose between my knees. After I let go with my knees, I can see the entire nose is sort of pushed in a bit. I did get a few long snivels and I started gently just pulling the nose out so it does not look to be tucked inside the pack job. I think this helps. But I only pull it out enough so it does not look hidden to the wind.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

My first canopy was a Pilot 210 and loaded at 1:1 I had the same concerns about sniveling forever so I asked a packer if they could pack it so it opens a little faster. She said "you want me to let the nose hang" me.. "uh yeah. just let it hang" it definantely opened faster!! and I went back to appreciating those long snivels. :)
lesson learned - pack it yourself and move slowly when experimenting with different packing techniques

What do you do with the nose of the canopy when you pack? I'm a little unclear on your description.

As I flake the lines I pinch the nose between my legs. As I wrap the tail I don't touch the nose from there on out. I do not punch it into the rest of the fabric, or roll the nose closed. I pretty much just wrap the tail around it, and am careful not to roll the nose up when I roll the tail closed. Hope that makes sense as a description.

I had some long openings on my Pilot 188. I used to push the nose pretty far into the pack job. The canopy would surge forward after opening and then rotate off heading 90 degrees or so. I have gotten a couple of brisk openings from the nose not being far enough into the pack job. Took me about ten packs jobs to dial in exactly where I like it.

I've got a pilot 188 and it opens in about 600-800 ft loaded at 1.14. I leave the nose out. You shouldn't get off heading openings if you've packed it symmetrically and kept the risers even. I maybe get one in about every 10 jumps a 90 degree off heading opening and they are more prevalent when I'm rushing for the next load.

I've got a pilot 188 and it opens in about 600-800 ft loaded at 1.14. I leave the nose out. You shouldn't get off heading openings if you've packed it symmetrically and kept the risers even. I maybe get one in about every 10 jumps a 90 degree off heading opening and they are more prevalent when I'm rushing for the next load.

I began tying the risers together at the connector links with a pull up cord. Really helps keep the lines symmetrical. I haven't had an off heading opening since. Just remember to remove the pull up cord before ya put it in the container.

With 70 jumps both of you, on a canopy like the Pilot. I would say it probably is body position.
I have flew one on wingsuit, HnP (non terminal) Freefly and I have even dump while tracking. Never had an issue, snivel a little bit more on a non terminal opening and wingsuit. Always had on heading nice openings (the wingloading was a lot higher thou).

Generally a longer snivel will lead to more off-heading openings also. More time for the opening parachute to hunt for a heading.

I owned a Pilot 188 at 1.1:1 and remember the long soft snivels with an occasional off-heading opening, but I'd say it took about 1000ft consistently to open. 1500ft is a long ways.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52