Simmy

Trying to get my first Rig

Hi Guys, Recently got my A licence and have been looking around for a first rig, im not made of money so on a very tight budget. Most of the 170-190 used rigs in the UK are like Gold dust so have started to sniff about in the US, does anyone have any tips being that im to far away to inspect the kit.

Should I just buy a rig bit by bit over the winter or hang out for someone selling a complete system?

Any advice would be awesome:)

Congrats on getting your A. There are a lot of opinions on what to do when buying a first rig. You are doing the right thing by looking for used gear and if you are patient you should be able to find a rig for a good price, especially if you buy it bit by bit. I've found it rare to find a complete rig that fits you and has canopies in it that will be what you want. Start with a good reserve, and then a container and AAD if you want one. There are a lot of good reserves out there due to people downsizing and if it comes with a packing data card, you should know a little bit more about it than a main. The main should be the last thing you buy because if you have the rig you will be able to demo a main before you buy it if that's an option. I have been able to piece together rigs for $800-1200 without too much effort. Be patient and use the down time during the winter to find gear, it will pay off in the long run. Buying gear in other country's on the other hand can be tricky cause the shipping can be expensive so the inspect and send back process might not work as easily. I've never had any issues wit buying gear off this site so if someone is willing to send you lots of detailed pictures, info and maybe a reference from a DZO it might be worth it to take a chance.

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....

If you're buying from an 'unknown' private seller, contact Chuting Star gear store about their escrow program. They will accept the gear from the seller, and the money from the buyer, and then they will inspect the gear. If it passes, they will pay the seller and ship the gear to the buyer. The escrow is free of charge, all you pay for is the inspection.

Send a PM to 'likestojump' on this site, he sells used gear and is used to handling shipping and payments internationally. He's a reputable guy, and can be trusted with your money and that gear will be 'as described' when it arrives.

Don't buy a harness that "almost fits" just because the price is good. You must have a harness/container that fits you and will accept the size canopies you need. Beyond that, you have a lot of flexibility.
You don't have to outrun the bear.