wingit

Legstrap loosening on plane and on deployments?

Hi all,

I have a fairly new rig (130~ jumps on it) my right leg strap keeps coming loose in the plane on the way to height, i re tension it before exiting then it comes loose again when I deploy.? Landings are a bit tricky when 1 leg strap is 5+ inches longer than the other... any body else solved this problem? What can I do to stop this happening?

Cheers in advance for the info!

Blue sky's

Hi all,

I have a fairly new rig (130~ jumps on it) my right leg strap keeps coming loose in the plane on the way to height, i re tension it before exiting then it comes loose again when I deploy.? Landings are a bit tricky when 1 leg strap is 5+ inches longer than the other... any body else solved this problem? What can I do to stop this happening?

Cheers in advance for the info!

Blue sky's

Have a rigger look at the hardware, I've seen the friction adapters sewn on backwards at least a couple of times (in 3 years).

Who made the rig?

Yes, putting another length of webbing on the leg strap may fix it, but I'm curious as to why it's on one side and not both.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

There are several possible causes (too smooth hardward, misinstalled hardware, webbing issues being several) that have been studied by the manufacturers.

I agree with the others, first step is to have the hardware and webbing checked by a rigger or the mfg.

Additional layer of fabric (installed correctly) and add-on hardware springs are a couple possible solutions. Each have their potential problems as well.

Talk to the rigger/mfg.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

If your webbing, that is slipping, has yellow tracers along the edge that is the reason it is slipping. Webbing with the yellow tracer is Type 7. Type 7 was never intended for use with personel harness hardware. It is weaker, cheaper and less comfortable. Personel harness hardware was originally designed for use with cotton webbing. When Nylon was adapted to replace the cotton Type 13 (Black trace) was designed to be compatable with the original hardware.

Yes, I agree with John Sherman that nylon, Type 7 webbing (yellow edge thread) tends to slip on old-style, cadmium-plated MIL SPEC hardware.
I have seen this problem on harnesses from a dozen different manufacturers: Icon, Javelin, Strong, Talon, Vector, etc.
The solution is to sew an extra layer of Type 12 webbing (red edge thread) onto BOTH leg straps, as per the Aerodyne Service Bulletin ... a few years back.

HOWEVER I am going to disagree with John Sherman when I say that Type 13 webbing (black edge thread) is not immune to slippage. I have had to sew an extra layer of Type 12 webbing onto the Type 13 leg straps of Sidewinders and Bullets (made by Flying High in Canada).

I have also had to replace adjustable main lift webs on both models because the hardware slipped so many times that it was starting to fray the edge of the Type 13 MLW. Not to knock Flying High, because I have also replaced frayed MLWs on Student Javelins and Student Telesis harness/containers.

The key is to inspect the harness - on a regular basis - and sew in the extra layer of Type 12 webbing when the buckles start to slip, but before they have slipped enough to damage the Type 7 or Type 13 structural webbing.

Do you have stainless steel hardware? They tend to be more slippery. What is the fabric type of your jump?
I had a similar issue (not too intense) on my first Wings when I started doing RW with a suit that was made of very slippery nylon.
In any case, contact the rig manufacturer and ask for help
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted