Anvilbrother

Is there an altimeter that displays real time VERTICAL speed while on a jump?

I know there are speed loggers in the neptune, etc, but I am looking for VERTICAL speeds while on rw or ff jumps to show my speed so I can try different body position to slow down, or in that rare case speed up:P

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

I know there are speed loggers in the neptune, etc, but I am looking for VERTICAL speeds while on rw or ff jumps to show my speed so I can try different body position to slow down, or in that rare case speed up:P

Viso 2 does. Just remember it will only show speed and not altitude, so you will need an altimeter for the jump.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I've thought about the flysight, just figured it was programmed for tracking and WS. I will call and ask about vertical speed accuracy.

I have used the FlySight for vertical speed. It is very helpful. There is a setup file you change to set it into Vertical mode and the range you want the tones to be spread across.

Because of a small DZ and lots of tandems, I often do solo jumps. I look for things I can do solo to improve my skills. With just a couple of jumps i had improved a LOT.

Borrow one from a friend, if possible.

http://flysight.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Configuring_FlySight

Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Yea saw that too, but without calling them I bet that is more for tracking and wingsuits than someone going straight vertically down.

Seems like everything is computer based, and is too iffy to use vertically due to pressure/temp/mounting locations to get an accurate reading. Might just have to tape an air speed indicator from the otter onto my helmet :P

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Correct, but I am a nerd and want a gadget that shows speed. It would be helpful when trying to join groups I've never jumped with. I'm a big guy that falls fast.

its a better idea to be keeping your eyes on the jumpers you are attacking, rather than trying to read a gadget and then deciphering what it says, then translating that to some action.

The dive will be over before you figure it out, because you need to be anticipating and adjusting your body position as the jump happens. After you get a few dives up your sleeve this will become automatic.

On a RW dive you need to be watching your base and adjusting your fall rate accordingly, using your eyes and brain to co ordinate your body position. You will get used to jumping with different groups and working out where you should be and what should be happening.

The best gadgets are the ones you already have, your eyes and brain.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I don't want to use it on a jump with others. A wind tunnel is very far away, I can use this tool on a solo jump, try different body positions and find out which one is the slowest. That will allow me to when invited on a jump ask what everyone's average fall rate is and decide if its a waste of a jump or not.

I don't want to use it on a jump with others. A wind tunnel is very far away, I can use this tool on a solo jump, try different body positions and find out which one is the slowest. That will allow me to when invited on a jump ask what everyone's average fall rate is and decide if its a waste of a jump or not.

Ok, fair enough. But even if you do that you will still get variations due to the techniques/body positions everyone else uses.

But you learn a lot from jumping with others whose fall rate does not fit with yours, and so your skill level gets better.

Of course you can use other methods to try to standardise fall rates. Weights, jumpsuits, slots etc can all be used to keep everyone in the same piece of sky.

At least these days the cannonball isn't automatically the base for everyone else to chase....you don't learn much just being the base man every jump....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I don't FF but for RW...what would the point be? Too slow? Arch. Too fast? De-arch (ignoring suits, sleeves, weights etc). Look to the center, across the formation, your clone, whatever...?

It would be great for head-down speed diving. At speeds of up to 250 mph, tiny little body changes have a huge impact. It would be nice to be able to fine-tune your position in-flight in real time, in order to see what effect it has on speed.

when invited on a jump ask what everyone's average fall rate is

Electronic toys are fun, but it won't be very useful for that purpose.

You can't trust what other people say about their fall rate. It might be right, but you'd be better off just evaluating their physical build and what their jumpsuit is like, or just knowing what a known organizer says about their fall rate from actual experience.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Correct, but I am a nerd and want a gadget that shows speed. It would be helpful when trying to join groups I've never jumped with. I'm a big guy that falls fast.

This will do the trick. You'll have some trouble with initial setup but once you got it sited in you'll be able to tell the speed.;)
My photos

My Videos