daremrc

Paralog, Neptune, and computerized logging

So...

I've been on hiatus from this sport for a while. When I was last jumping a lot, I did all of my logging via Neptune/Paralog. While this worked very well for me and was almost automatic, it seems the software has been updated in the meanwhile and now if I want to use the current Paralog on my Windows 7 machine I need to pay more money.

I get the fact that people put work into software and feel they should be reimbursed, however in the event that I lose my neptune in freefall and need another, someone is charging money just to generate a new key for that device. It seems that would be a non-issue if the license for the software included support for all the alti's, however it doesn't..

Anyways, I got my hands on an old copy of the software and I'm back in business, for now... But I was wondering what anyone else might be doing for logging. If I've done my research correctly, it seems that Neptune and Paralog are in bed with one another and you cannot export Neptune data to any other piece of software.. >:( Is that true? How about other alti manufacturers, or has anyone else been able to liberate their skydiving data from an instrument and use it with other, possibly open-source software?

Paralog has served me well and the publisher has done a pretty good job about responding to most of the technical hiccups I've had over the years, I just want to know about other options.

I originally selected a Neptune 2 because I wanted an alti with digital readout plus the logbook and data-download capability. Are any of the newer altimiters out there providing any similar features?
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.