Casotakar1229

Beginner with 2 questions

Best goggles for a beginner? Looking to spend around $20.

Any recommendations for an open faced helmet? Why or why not should I consider getting the Benny? Would like to spend less than $100.

Starting the AFF course in 2 weeks and those are the only two items I'd like to have of my own before I begin.

Thanks!

Starting the AFF course in 2 weeks and those are the only two items I'd like to have of my own before I begin

Goggles - ask your instructors. They have the final say what they'll let you jump with as a student, so my opinion (or yours) doesn't really count.

Helmet - same as above, but no matter what you may be jumping a school helmet for the first 5 or 6 jumps. If the student radios are 'hard mounted' into the helmets, then you'll have to use one of theirs until you get off the radio. Even if the radios are easily removeable, they also would have to if into whatever helmet you have in order for it to work (even then, the instructors still might veto the idea).

If you don't like the idea of using a 'community' helmet or google, bring some baby wipes and give them a clean-up before your jump. Other than that, use the stuff at the DZ and see what you think. Maybe you really like the goggles, and would really love a fresh pair to call your own, but you won't know until you try. Same with the helmets, maybe they have more than one size/style, and you can try a couple to see where you want to spend your money.

Right now you have zero experience with either of these things, but after 5 jumps, you'll at least know something about it (not much, but way more than now).

Having your own goggles is okay. But you should check with the dropzone before buying your own helmet. They may have special helmet setups with radio equipment attached to it so they can talk to you while under canopy. If so, they won't let you wear your own helmet.

In fact, you could screw up with the goggles too. If you buy tinted or mirrored goggles, they probably won't let you wear them, because they need eye contact. If you have contact lenses, you don't want vents because the air might blow your lenses out.

So hey, how about just letting the instructors determine what is best for you, until you gain enough experience to do your own thing.

bring some baby wipes and give them a clean-up before your jump

Ya, some disinfecting wipes of some sort, or even the spray that is used for bowling shoes, or a UV light disinfecting wand! That would get some attention, eh? It might even earn a student an early nickname!

A quick call to the DZ might confirm their use of helmet mounted radios, as some choose to strap them on to the student in other ways.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I jump in Gatorz now mostly, but the goggles that I like best are Sorz goggles. They fit great and are easy to keep adjusted. Their only disadvantage is that once the foam starts to break down it may leave a little residue on your face, and once it starts peeling from the lens it's all over. They come in clear, dark grey, yellow, mirror silver, and mirror blue.

The Benny is a super helmet - far superior to a Pro Tec, and well within your budget. Doug Park (Owner of Sky Systems USA) is a good friend of mine and he takes good care of his customers.
Arrive Safely

John

Thanks for the comment on the Benny. Being a beginner, I just can't justify spending hundreds of dollars when my skill level won't even be able to reap the benefits of a $300+ dollar helmet.

Reason why I asked was because the handout I got after my jump gave some information on the AFF program. One of the FAQ's they listed was referring to equipment and the response to goggles and helmets was "By Category E, you are expected to provide your own altimeter ($180), goggles ($18), and gloves when cold (about $33). We encourage you to get your own helmet and goggles right away."

That last comment was what sparked my question.

Thanks for the replies.

Goggles - get something with a clear lens. Non sunglass style for starters - FlexZ, Flexvision, Brand X Soft. Your instructors shouldn't have an issue with any of those.

Helmet - Benny or Protec will work great. Even if they won't let you use the helmet on jumps where you need radio, you'll be able to once you are off radio.

Does the dz you will be jumping at have a gear store (or even just a cabinet of stuff for sale)? I'd suggest buying there, even if it costs an extra few bucks. Get to know and support the folks who will be there for you later!

That is odd to force people to buy their own alti, helmet and goggles while still being a student.
Skydiving helmets are way over priced! Just go get a protech ($50) and that will actually protect your head some. The $300 "skydiving" helmets are worthless in protection value. They just look better thats all.

They will allow you to continue to use their equipment beyond E, but there is a rental fee.

I'll definitely be getting some goggles of my own. Did not enjoy the feel of the rental ones!

I'll look into the equipment at the DZ's shop. Looked like they had stuff for sale there.

Thanks for the replies!

I jump in Gatorz now mostly, but the goggles that I like best are Sorz goggles. They fit great and are easy to keep adjusted. Their only disadvantage is that once the foam starts to break down it may leave a little residue on your face, and once it starts peeling from the lens it's all over. They come in clear, dark grey, yellow, mirror silver, and mirror blue.

The Benny is a super helmet - far superior to a Pro Tec, and well within your budget. Doug Park (Owner of Sky Systems USA) is a good friend of mine and he takes good care of his customers.

Like. I use Sorz for a myriad of applications, the Harley, eye protection for chainsaws, changing oil (or anything under the truck), painting, gun range, etc. Always have two new fresh ones at the ready.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Just a comment with regards the Benny. I see many people is happy with it, so i may be the odd one out, but just in case make sure you try one on to make sure it doesn't move in your head at all, in particular when lightly pulling it up.

I tried mine at the shop and it was very tight, so i thought it was a good fit. But when on freefall the helmet slides up a notch and catches air inside, so the whole way down it feels like a pilot chute being dragged by the chin-strap... Not ideal and right distracting >:(

Also, the goggle channel doesn't quite work if you are thinking on using it. Along with the helmet shifting,the gap in the temples made by the goggles is big enough for them to catch air as well, and they get thrown all over your face. In the jump i tried it on, and i made sure the strap was well tight, i had to go all the way to opening altitude looking straight down to keep them in place.

However, if it fits you right it could be a great helmet. Nice and quiet, strong, and reasonably comfy.