uer16

BASE canopy as a first skydiving canopy

Just brainstorming here.
Looking forward to buy my first rig this summer. I have decided that a very docile square 7-cell loaded at about +-.8 would be appropriate for me (I weigh 140 naked btw).

I understand that this is a no-go for most of you. But apart from the (apparent) hard openings at terminal, what are the real dangers of doing so? In my opinion, there are lots of remedies to these hard openings: direct control, sail slider, primary stow, slidergate, tailgate, and it just goes on and on.. Yes, they may last less because of F111, but are easier to pack at the same time because of this. The chances of linetwists also decrease because of very low aspect ratio.

Also, I am leaning towards CRW and maybe WS in the future, so a more-or-less appropriate canopy will help from the start.

So I am asking you guys, what am I missing and why is this a bad idea? FYI, thought about a 190 Spectre at first, but now I am looking at a 200 Seven or a Flik with hybrid topskin.

You've asked "Why not?" but I'd ask the question "Why?"

If you want to jump a lightly-loaded docile square seven cell, there are three good choices that are purpose-built for skydiving (that I can think of off the top of my head): Spectre, Triathlon and Storm. If cost is a factor, the used market for the first two is quite a bit bigger solely because they have been on the market much longer.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I doubt that you will get much CReW done at a WL of ~0.8. Based on my small amount of CReW experience, most recreational CReW (non-competition) has a target common wing loading of ~1.3 lb/sq ft.

Just as jumpers in freefall want a similar fall rate to allow them to play together... CReW dawgs want similar WL.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Re: Dangers of hard openings

I have three friends who broke vertebrae due to hard openings at terminal. Two recovered, one uses a wheelchair to get around as a result.

Hard openings can be VERY serious business.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I often jump a free packed base canopy but I also more often jump a d-bagged 9 or 7 cell.

I haven't have any problems with hard openings so far, firm but now slammers. However I do wingsuit on it so it isn't truly terminal.

The problem with jumping a bigger canopy tends to be wind related. I once landed a mile backwards from the DZ and that is when I learned that lesson. Having such a lightly loaded canopy will group you when a 1-1.3 loaded would be just fine.

I find that free packing takes me longer than using the dbag but is more relaxing. It allows me to keep in touch with my base pack job so that is a benefit. For this reason I have a bridle that I can quickly pop a dbag on if I want.

It is all about picking the right tool for the job. I don't think a base canopy setup belongs in skydiving 100% of the time but it does have its place when you are preparing for a trip.

One thing I have decided is to switch back to 100% 7 cells. Going from 7 cell to 9 cells landings isn't easy...for me. Some people don't seem to have any trouble.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Terrible choice as a daily skydiving canopy. It's big, docile and BORING!!!! BASE canopies are expensive and are purpose built. The only time I would suggest skydiving it is for familiarizing yourself with a big canopy to use for what it's designed for.

Given that you're 140 pounds, you'd want a 240 for BASE. A 200 will be too small and pretty worn by the time you want to jump off fixed objects.

You'll be under loading it for CRW
You'll become bored
They open quick. That can hurt. Sure you're done your research on how to pack a base rig but honestly, you have to ACTUALLY know why each part does what it does.

It does mean your thinking but I highly suggest don't waste your skydiving money on base canopies. I might have a a few BASE jumps, and, some rigging and skydiving experience to back this up.

Seriously, don't bother. I have many jumps on a Seven, The 240 is awesome but it's awesome for what it's designed for. It handles spectacularly if you truly know how to fly it but it's going to bore the hell out of you flying it down from 3000 feet.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

if youre trying to do BASE drills, either pump out a couple of jumps with a BASE canopy packed in your skyrig, and if you dont yet have a BASE canopy, buy a used raven and do the same drills with that..........then move on.

to use a bigass lightly loaded 7-cell for a regular skyrig is going to drive you fucking NUTS. i bought a raven in an old javelin, just to get recurrent skydiving, and literally after about 10 jumps on that thing i sold it because it was frustrating the hell out of me. that and it wouldnt fly straight =)
gravity brings me down.........

Wow, didn't expect that many replies.
First of all, thanks a lot for the input guys. Good to see that this community can give beginners some solid, legit advice :)
Well, if boredom is such a big problem (didn't expect that) I'm probably gonna stick with something more conventional. Maybe s Storm to spice things up a bit. Anyways, I'm probably gonna speak to my instructor and more jumpers for more opinions on that matter, but it's already pretty clear where this is going..

BASE canopies only last 300-600 jumps or so before they are retired for the technical base jumps. They lose their glide as they are often F111 fabric. Imagine if you were going to buy a reserve canopy on the classifides, and the reserve had 300 to 400 rides on it. What you want that is your reserve canopy?

Often you need a lot of glide in BASE to get to your desinated landing area when you only have 5 to 10 second canopy ride. And canopies lose their flare, and when landing on a washing machine sized rock, you want a flare you can trust. So taking them skydiving can cost a lot per jump. When you buy a base canopy that you plan on base jumping, you should jump it a couple times from aircraft learn your canopy, but not much more.

to the person who said the base canopies can be boring, you are doing it wrong! :ph34r: accuracy contests can be really fun especially when you're opening your canopy at 150 feet, but even on a skydive or hot air balloon jump too. Hahaha. but I would not want it to be my everyday canopy.

... to the person who said the base canopies can be boring, you are doing it wrong! :ph34r: accuracy contests can be really fun especially when you're opening your canopy at 150 feet, but even on a skydive or hot air balloon jump too. Hahaha. but I would not want it to be my everyday canopy.

Agreed!
Anyone - with less than 300 jumps - who is bored under canopy is not paying attention.
With serious coaching, 300 jumps might bring your accuracy skills up to the level needed for open-field exhibition jumps or BASE jumps at easy sites.

Bottom line: as long as you set goals (front riser turns, front riser dives, rear riser turns, rear riser flares, leg turns, the Australian save your %$#@! maneuver, etc.) for every jump, and aim to improve a little during every jump, it will be thousands of jumps before you get bored.