Tuna-Salad

Weight vs Canopy size question.

Someone asked me today if someone happens to be large but in shape would they be allowed to use a tandem canopy something close to that size for AFF? I did not want to answer be wrong so figured I would ask.

By large I would guess his example to be over 6'6 and 280-300. I know there is a limit for tandems, and would assume the military would use larger canopies due to the added weight of combat gear, but not sure if it applies to sport rigs.

In short.. what weight would be pushing it for a sport canopy as I do not know the largest size made or the tensile strength of the harness and container or any of the components.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

More important than the rig (which would put him around 320-340 out the door) is finding two AFF/I's willing to go with him. The best approach is going to find those first. If they say OK, his best bet is going to be finding a HALO rig to use.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

This question has been asked several times before and RWS/UPT have published guidelines for modifying Tandem Vectors for AFF.
The whole question breaks down to one number: wing-loading.
Most students start at a wing-loading around 0.7 pounds per square foot. Start with the student's weight, plus 50 or 60 pounds of gear, then divide by 0.7 to determine what size of canopy he should start with.

Jump Shack uses all four of its tandem size canopies (298, 328, 350,396) as tatitical and solo canopies. It is done all of the time.
The total weight is not the problem for AFF instructors but the pounds per square foot are.
System strength is also not a problem as speed, not weight, is the driver behind opening forces.

dang, I got short changed! I started on a manta 288/290. I'm 225 naked, by this math I shoulda been under a 392 for 50lbs and a 407 for 60lbs :o:)

I did my first jump on a 260 from then on I was usually jumping a 240 Navigator through the rest of AFF until I got my own rig. I was 225 naked at the time. Never knew any better at the time.