contract

Suunto X10 GPS/Altimeter Watch Reviews?

I coincidentally need both a GPS and a new altimeter at this time and saw the Suunto X10 GPS / Alti watch... I've never used a watch altimeter before and I was hoping to get some feedback about how effective it is as an alti and GPS and how comfortable / reliable / durable it is. Thanks in advance!

A quick recap from the big number of threads on here about suunto watches:

- even though these watches are not made for freefall and suunto does not recommend them for freefall, if you're a experienced jumper (think tandem master here) then you will probably be ok with a suunto alti watch.
- the numbers are (much) smaller than on a real skydiving alti, you usually get 4. So it will show 8560 ft in freefall instead of a big 8.5 on a real digital skydiving alti.
- it will have a bit more lag in freefall than a real skydiving alti (it isn't made to refresh that fast, and it couldn't because otherwise the numbers would flash by too fast to read)
- it is very easy to push a button so it won't show you altitude but pressure or some other menu item instead. I've seen one or two models with a lock but most don't seem to have this function.
- keep an eye on the battery, this goes for any digital alti
- I seem to remember that an alti watch isn't allowed on all dzs but can't remember where I've heard that or which dzs. YMMV.

All in all, I've owed 2 suuntos and I've sold the first and keep the 2nd for a regular watch. I jump a neptune instead. Even though i rarely look at my alti as I fly camera, the small display still bugs me. It's harder to read and also reflects more light it seems. So, not for me.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

As for the gps part, I jumped a gps suunto (xlander?) a couple times but no lock inside the plane, so worthless for spotting. It also had trouble in a forest, so again, not so good even for "regular" purposes.

If you want a gps that works inside an airplane and out and you can wear as a watch, I'd recommend the garmin foretrex 401 (there's also a new version announced that might be suitable)

ciel bleu,
Saskia