Avikus

G3 Cookie - Inside Visor Issue (must see)

Hey Guys!

Having a big issue with my new, fresh out of the box, G3 Cookie Helmet.

As soon as I put it on to make sure it fits and just to get a feel of it myself, I noticed some very strange reaction to it.

At the exact place I was breathing on my visor, inside, something started to peel off.

At first, I thought it was some protective plastic screen that you had to removed, but quickly realize it wasn't the case.

As you can see on my picture, it was some kind of plastic melting. I took a soft cloth and some water, and gently started to clean it off... and it just made things worst... it spread all over my visor.

Now before the "cancer", as I call it, invade all the inside of my visor, I touched it and it was very smooth, just like the outside. After the "cancer" was all over it and I gently and soft rubbed it off. the inside became rough.

After an hour of clean, wipe and repeat I finally manage to get rid of most of it ... but it because clear that it was some fog protection that had the problem cause after 10 sec of my head inside it, it became very foggy, fast!

I was wondering if you guys had any tips? I used the little anti-fog wipe they give you and it still didn't work.
Someone told me Pledge was good for that.

Or should I just wait for the Cookie people to reply to my email? Hoping this will help me out.
Avikus - Packer and Jumper - Hate landing with the plane!

This was a known issue when the G2 came out but it was addressed and they have been replacing all those lenses.

I've not heard of it happening on the G3 but it's possible your helmet mistakinly got an old lens put on it.

Contact Cookie at the email below and give him the version of visor which you can find on the left edge of the visor just below the opening mechanism.

He will take care of it. He's is an awesome guy who stands behind his product.

Good luck.

Sandy

[email protected]

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Mine did that too. It was a problem in the first visors they put out with the new helmet design. Cookie will replace it. Send them the picture of it and just talk with them. I bought mine through Chuting Star and they had a replacement in the mail to me in no time.

While you are waiting you can remove it, wash it in warm soapy water and dry it with a microfiber towel. The stuff that is crackling off is the anti fog coating. When you wash it off fogging will be an issue but some RainX anti-fog will work as a short term fix.

Hey Guys!

Having a big issue with my new, fresh out of the box, G3 Cookie Helmet.

As soon as I put it on to make sure it fits and just to get a feel of it myself, I noticed some very strange reaction to it.

At the exact place I was breathing on my visor, inside, something started to peel off.

At first, I thought it was some protective plastic screen that you had to removed, but quickly realize it wasn't the case.

As you can see on my picture, it was some kind of plastic melting. I took a soft cloth and some water, and gently started to clean it off... and it just made things worst... it spread all over my visor.

Now before the "cancer", as I call it, invade all the inside of my visor, I touched it and it was very smooth, just like the outside. After the "cancer" was all over it and I gently and soft rubbed it off. the inside became rough.

After an hour of clean, wipe and repeat I finally manage to get rid of most of it ... but it because clear that it was some fog protection that had the problem cause after 10 sec of my head inside it, it became very foggy, fast!

I was wondering if you guys had any tips? I used the little anti-fog wipe they give you and it still didn't work.
Someone told me Pledge was good for that.

Or should I just wait for the Cookie people to reply to my email? Hoping this will help me out.

Yeah as soon as I wrote the last replied, I got a reply from them already asking for my address so the issue is pretty much fixed... I'll just have to wait. For next weekend trip to the sky I'll try the pledge trick!

Thanks everyone!
Avikus - Packer and Jumper - Hate landing with the plane!

Hey Guys!

My new G3 Cookie helmet ordered form ChutingStar arrived yesterday. Apart from the fact that it looks awesome ;), I noticed small random bubbles across the surface of the visor. Following the “peeling G2 visor” thread got me thinking that visor installed on my helmet must be still G2 type (and it was). I emailed ChutingStar this morning and they took care of the problem right away (just received tracking number for the visor). So, I wanted to say a big thank you to ChutingStar for rectifying the issue in such an expedited fashion.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Stephen Hawking

Yea, exact thing happened to me after only having it for 3 months. Was just going to try and buy another visor, but hey if they're replacing them for free great on them!
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

After Summerfest last year I swung by Paragear and picked up a G3. Jumped it a few times... five more this year and was just cleaning the dust off the inside when I noticed a streak.
Thinking it was some snot or something I started rubbing harder and the whole thing started peeling like crazy.
Hopped on here at DZ.com and found out it was a known issue. Checked the corner and it was a G2 visor.

Sent an email to Paragear with all the info above and mentioned the known issue...asking what to do/options?
In 5 minutes I had a reply from Maureen to just sit tight and they are sending me a replacement! Sweet! B|

Thanks to DZ.com for providing forums to discuss stuff like this and Hat's Off! to Paragear for some absolutely rocking customer service.

Mine got hit yesterday. Still jumped it while I wait for a replacement and it was fogging up pretty badly. Do the new visors you guys got from Cookie say "G3" on them? Mine right now says "G1/G2", and all of the others I've checked at our DZ do also. Is there such a thing as an actual G3 version of the visor? If not, then it might be a matter of time before they all start to go bad.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

This is due to anti fog lens..

This problem is well known within the paintball scene.
The tips are, always clean your visor with only water and maybe just little (PH neutral) soap, nothing more..

Almost any anti fog spray or strong soap will remove the anti fog layer.

In some cases, most probably like yours, the layer is not correctly sprayed on the visor, and than you have same problems like U have right now.

Only solution will be contacting seller, in this case Cookie.

JeffCa

Mine got hit yesterday. Still jumped it while I wait for a replacement and it was fogging up pretty badly. Do the new visors you guys got from Cookie say "G3" on them? Mine right now says "G1/G2", and all of the others I've checked at our DZ do also. Is there such a thing as an actual G3 version of the visor? If not, then it might be a matter of time before they all start to go bad.

This.

Can someone else with a G3 check theirs? On the bottom left my visor says:
COOKIE G2 V2 VSR

Hey Guys,

Just a quick update on this thread. We identified a anti-fog coating issue way back in 2011. We have replaced any visors where the fog coating was de-laminating.

The V1 in small print along the edge of the visor is not an indication of the revision of the anti-fog coating.

V1 refers to the Visor Size

V1 Sizes XS-Large
V2 Sizes XL-XXL

What we have done is stamp the visor size between the visor mounting holes to indication a anti-fog revision. This was done in 2012

Specifically on the anti-fog coating, please use only water to clean your visors. Also the anti-fog coating does degrade over time due to is hydro-phobic properties.

Cookie