fcpk

Icon I5/I6 and 190-200 canopies

Hi all,

Does anyone know which canopies in the 190-200 range would fit an icon I5(from experience)? I'm considering it as my next rig, but I'd need to fit something at least 190 non-elliptical.

Thanks for any answers,

-Paul

I hear these guys know a think or two about Icons. They have quite a bit of experience with them. Might want to give them a call.;)

Aerodyne Research
1407 Flightline Blvd, Unit 14.
Deland, Florida 32724. USA

Telephone: +1 (813) 891 6300
Fax: +1 (813) 891 6315
email: [email protected]

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I have stuffed a 188 zp pilot in my I5 that has a Smart 175 for a temporary period of time so I could lend the rig to some one that wasn't ready to jump a 170.

I wouldn't do it for an extended period of time, it is a real tight fit and you will end up stretching out the stiffeners and possibly pulling grommets on the flaps.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I had an I6 with a non-ZPX Pilot 188 in it, and I wouldn't have wanted to pack it into a container size down.

People say they have. I just wouldn't want to.

On the gripping hand - choose your rig like this:

1. Reserve
2. Main
2. Container

Deciding on a container size and then trying to work out what you can cram into it, seems to me like going backwards.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

ok, thanks for the answers:)

I have also contacted Aerodyne, but I guess they'll tell me the same.

What about the other way? would a 150 be too loose inside of an I6?

The aerodyne website gives a fairly limited range of 168-190, but I'm figuring there could be some sub 170 canopies that'd fit in there.

I'm just thinking that in a couple years I'll definitely be down a couple sizes...

realistically speaking it might not be the best idea financially to buy a brandnew container for your first rig. couple of reasons why

first, youre still relatively new to skydiving, you havent built up really solid preferances with respect to gear choices and design etc.

secondly youre probably not going to stay on a canopy of that size for too long, as you start to get to a higher wing loading you will spend more time on a size before downsizing so it makes more sense to buy a new container if thats what you want for your second or third rig.

third, you want something thats going to look nice, sure you can fit about any size parachute into any rig, but its not going to look good. the company has made that size container for that range of sizes and its going to look awkward (really loose with a small canopy and really buldgy with a big canopy) if you force it in. its going to be a pain to pack, and over all it may interfere with its intended purpose...saving your life because more tension is going to be put on a normally sized closing loop if the canopy is too big and not enough if it is too small.

so i would recommend buying a used rig for a season that will fit the size you need NOW and then worry about buying a rig til youve reached some sort of leveling off point.

good luck man!
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

I can’t understand why jumpers insist on trying to fit 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag. All manufactures will give the range of canopies that fit in their containers and since they have the most experience why not go by what they recommend?

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/STUPID.jpg
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I can’t understand why jumpers insist on trying to fit 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag. All manufactures will give the range of canopies that fit in their containers and since they have the most experience why not go by what they recommend?

Cause some how having the smallest rig on the load makes you the 'hot shit'.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

i really dont have a small rig because its cool its more about me caring for my friends, so when i auger in on a hook turn and they divide my gear amongst themselve, they dont hurt their backs carrying a giant rig! that and im a trend follower :P;)

"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

i really dont have a small rig because its cool its more about me caring for my friends, so when i auger in on a hook turn and they divide my gear amongst themselve, they dont hurt their backs carrying a giant rig! that and im a trend follower :P;)

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/FixStupid.jpg[:/]>:(

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I spoke with Aerodyne before I bought my rig. they confirmed that a 188zpx/smart 175 was suitable for an I5. After taking their advice I bought the whole thing from them.

edit: and its not difficult to get the bag in the rig at all. Its very difficult for a newbie like to get the brand new main in the bag tho.......

Thanks all for the great answers. I'm waiting on aerodyne to come back to me about it.

Onto the subject of preferences, I've got to test quite a few containers so far, and I absolutely loved most the I6 I tried. As to canopy size, I'm just about to downsize from a 200/210 to 190, going from a wingloading of 0.98 to 1.08. I believe that if I can get something that I will be able to use until I reach 150, I'll be using this rig for a good 5+ years, making it worth buying new(especially since it's an easy to sell range).

For those joking about it, it's not about getting a small container, I couldn't care less if the bag is 20kg and looks like a tandem rig, it's just about being able to use it in progression.

Thanks again for all the advice and recs, deeply appreciated.