Chris-Ottawa

GoPro Hero2 Remote LED

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd share something I've been using all summer since I re-worked it a little after the first season.

So, first of all, yes, I'm one of those guys who's using 2 GoPro's for video/stills. It's actually saved my ass once already. I had a nasty hard opening, tore the tape on my slider, and I'm certain if I had a full DSLR and CX100 type setup, I would have walked away in much more pain, or maybe worse. I'm not going to respond to any comments about the fact that I use 2 GoPro's regardless. (I have a picture to prove it as the GoPro took a still as the slammer happened and the image is all distorted, plus it's on video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijA0TDzcqGY&feature=channel&list=UL).

Anyways, I made this in the spring and just reworked it yesterday for next season. Essentially, it's the 3D housing, the cameras are in one button mode, and one automatically films upside down. We've all seen that before. From there, I attached the accessory port to a resistor and an LED and it's been working great with it popped out the bottom. This is simply to allow me to see if the camera is on or off while wearing my helmet in any daylight condition.

Let me know what you think. If you're slightly inclined to do it yourself, I can post a diagram I made and provide some basic instructions.

Enjoy, but please excuse my boring assed narration.

GoPro Hero2 Remote LED inside a 3D case
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEjcvwYAkNo&feature=plcp
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I have a similar setup. Keeps me from having to ask if the camers is on (1-button mode) and getting all those "GoPro Looks" on the video:P

want to elaborate on how you set it up please?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's wired for the LED to come on when the camera is on. Now, for that to be a "positive" indication; you have to set the camera up in one-button mode. So, when you turn on the camera, it is shooting video.

If you have the standard buttons set, the LED will tell you the camera is on (because it is), but you still may not be recording, or you could still be in photo mode.

So, the one-button mode is the way this LED confirms you are filming.

This is a Go-pro 30-pin male plug (kit), the LED is wired with a resistor, the power is picked up off pin #24 and the ground is off pin #9.

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!