Ms.sofaking

Freak occurance?

She has a keeper sewn on the back of the riser? I don't understand.

I thought about sewing a keeper above the elastic and a tab on the back of the toggle. But, if I did this, I could just as easily switch the risers and toggles.
"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas

As a swooper, I try not to release my breaks until the slider is collapsed, below my toggles, behind my head, and my chest strap loosened.

If your canopy was mostly inflated and the slider hang up was about half way down the lines, I would pump the rear risers to get it to descend completely. I would also use harness or rear risers to steer the canopy and stop the spiral.

The only time I release the toggles before dealing with my slider, booties, and/or wingsuit is if I have a toggle fire. In that case, I'm already pulling down the other rear riser past my shoulder to stop the spiral.

I always stow my excess brake line and then take an extra few seconds to make sure my hands are clear of the line and I have a good grip before releasing my toggles in the method that works best.

In your case, depending on altitude, I would have used as much harness input to the left as possible and then alternate between pulling down my left steering line, toggle, or riser to stop/slow the spiral and trying to release the release the right toggle with one or both hands. It is much easier and you have more time to work the steering line problem when you are not spiraling.

Upon nearing your decision altitude you should make the decision if you think you can safely land your main or not, and then make an attempt to clear the entanglement possibly using a hook knife. If you don't want to try to land on rear risers or without one or both steering lines, then cutaway. I would probably stick with my main unless there is a malfunction besides with the control system if I feel I could safely use the other controls I had to land it softly. Otherwise, go to the reserve. I would not want to cut away when I was entangled with my main unless I had no other option and I was running out of altitude.

If you have new risers and toggles they are probably okay, just be careful and make sure you are stowing them correctly.

My toggles stow on my risers the same way. I kept ripping out the spandex loops on bottom. My rigger told me not to stow my excess brakelines in them because when I would unstow my toggles that the excess brake line was basically sawing through the spandex loops as I pulled them free. He also told me to pull up then down and out when releasing my toggles to further reduce the wear on the lower keepers. They still wear out and have to be replaced. I also ran into another jumper this weekend that is having the same prob. Both my and his canopies are Triathalon 190's with mini risers. Any extra input on this would be greatly appreciated. It seems as though I have to do this once a yr.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Havent read all posts, forgive me. Getting fingers or hand trapped in brakelines reason : 1. Not stowing excess brake line. 2. Stowing excess brake line with large enough loop to put fingers through just prior to instowing brakes i.e. as jumper slides hand into toggle from the side if the toggle, jumper also accidentally places hand through a loop of line and the toggle resulting in sucj entanglement. Preventive measure: Stow excess brake line in a keeper with loops smaller than the size of a finger or hand.