mixedup

Phantom X GoPro Visor/Lens Mount - anyone tried?

Anyone tried / could comment on the Phantom X fullface helmet Visor/Lens mounting kit (see link below)?

http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p522.asp#PhantomXGoProLens

(i.e. from context of would like to have GoPro mount on a fullface if it's possible to do safely. Still trying to determine if the Phantom X has a safety cutaway system too?)

[inline CAM_GOPROPHANTOM.jpg]
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

I use the Phantom X Lens w/ GoPro mount - I really like it.

I also love the fact I can switch the mount/lens off real easy on different jumps.

Disclaimer - I'm not an advocate for jumping with the camera before you have the USPA recommended experience.

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

there's no cutaway option for the helmet?

No. Why exactly though, do you seem so fixated on this? ...Your screenname really does suit a purpose for you here, doesn't it? Hey Ridestrong ...where are you now? This all smells a whole lot here too, like your early posts (and thoughts/positioning) on this subject.

Good Luck kid. I (sincerely) hope you figure it all out.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I currently have 180 jumps but will be in Elsinore for the next 2 weeks so expect to return to the UK with well over the 200.

Whilst I realise that I still can't jump with camera until I have CCI approval, I am researching ideas in case I decide on something that is significantly cheaper to buy whilst I am in the USA.

As for no cutaway, that is going to be a No-No for most UK CCIs (if not all), so I am also trying to find out if a cutaway can be implemented (for Phantom and Oxygn) that acts on the cord that tightens around the back of the neck.

Juz

I was thinking about that one too (more curiosity than wanting to strap a camera to my full face as well as my open face).

I was wondering whether a button cutaway would be sufficient, with a press stud on the back (the same you fasten the helmet on with on the phanton X).

Cutting away would disconnect the press stud and allow the helmet to be pushed off..

When the helmet snap is released, the back/cable will loosen enough for the helmet to come off. Now, it may not "float" off your head, you may have to help lift it - but it will come off.

I don't know the UK CCI requirement for a "cutaway," that may be solved with a simple "flag" on the snap to help you grab it easier (or maybe a loop is needed) so you can get the snap off quick and not have to go "looking" for it.

I think it would be overkill to try and rig something up on the other end of the tightening cable. But, the UK CCI would have to provide an answer for what they require.

I jump it because I feel there is less snag potential then having the camera up on that "Telly Tubby" post. And, I can get the helmet off with just the snap if I do get a line wraped around the camera.

Personally, I think it comes off easier than a ProTec (those pads will rip your ears off) - But that's me, YMMV.

I jumped the Phantom X/GoPro setup on some bigways this past summer... It was a great tool and far better than having to jump an open-face helmet. It is really easy to rig up, as all you have to do is switch out one lens for another. On the phantom x this only takes about 30 seconds. With such a small camera, top mounted, in a mounting bracket that's pretty much snag free, you're off to the races. You'd have to do something pretty messed up to snag anything on that setup.

As for cutaway, just unclip the buckle on the side of your head and away it goes. If your helmet is properly sized you'll be fine. There is already a tab that the snap is attached to, so you don't need to go adding more stuff to the helmet...

The Phantom X go pro mount is the most snag free mount I've seen for gopro. And it's not so heavy that it weighs your visor down - I landed with my visor up every jump.

You don't really need the visor up all the way.
Here's my G2 with GoPro on top with visor open:
(See Attached)

You could use the GoPro Mount Curved Bottom which is listed just under what you linked.

Note: It's not actually mounted there so no Idea what video looks like from that point.

P.S. GoPro cutaway system is breaking it off lol. The plastic housing will break at the mounting point if you put 30+lbs of force onto it.
...or so I've heard.

P.S. GoPro cutaway system is breaking it off lol. The plastic housing will break at the mounting point if you put 30+lbs of force onto it.
...or so I've heard.

replace "will" by "should". [:/]
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Sorry my suggestion wasnt clear.. My suggestion is to drill out where the push stud is that the tightening strap is connected to, and fitting one of these

http://www.2kcomposites.co.uk/2kc-button-cutaway-7-p.asp (removing the chinstrap as it isnt required).

Then put a new press stud on the back of the cutaway housing(the silver metal bit). Pulling on the handle would then allow you to remove the press stud completely loosening the helmet so it'll come off.

Just a thought that I've had, not had chance or desire to actually do it. Just wondering what the DZ.com bods think of it...

I use that mount and it works fine. I've been using it for several months with no problems. My Phantom X is also easily removable with one hand, either right or left, even with wingsuit arms still zipped. So, I am not too concerned about the lack of a cutaway system...

Sorry my suggestion wasnt clear.. My suggestion is to drill out where the push stud is that the tightening strap is connected to, and fitting one of these

http://www.2kcomposites.co.uk/2kc-button-cutaway-7-p.asp (removing the chinstrap as it isnt required).

Then put a new press stud on the back of the cutaway housing(the silver metal bit). Pulling on the handle would then allow you to remove the press stud completely loosening the helmet so it'll come off.

Just a thought that I've had, not had chance or desire to actually do it. Just wondering what the DZ.com bods think of it...

The tensioning system on the Phantom is not the same as a ratchet chin strap.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Agreed with you there. The use of the button cutaway is to provide a flat surface to attach the strap to which can be disconnected..

The system wouldn't be as good as a chinstrap cutaway due to the way in which the full face is attached. However am pretty sure you could make it work. (the cutaway pad effectively removes the tension strap from the helmet)..

Then again it'll depend how snuggly fitting your Phantom is too..

Babz, I see your thought for the "cut away." The button cutaway would be replacing the stud on the snap. However, just pulling that stud will NOT remove the tension strap from the helmet, it still goes inside the helmet and around the back, under your chin then is screwed in place on the other side (there are two black hex screws that secure and guid the tension strap on either side of the chin area).

If you use the "button cutaway" you are just replacing the one metal snap.

The snap works fine and the top button is mounted in a plastic togle that helps you lift the button (as noted above).

I think by hanging anything else on there you are not really gaining any advantage. When you unsnap the tightening strap, the helmet will lift right off your head.

I would not modify it at all unless required by your UK CCI.