Lazarus_762

n00b question, Side pack vs PRO pack

It takes 2-3X as much floor space

It doesn't have to. I watch a couple of old farts do it, and they keep the ends folded over to reduce space usage, and even then, it's only for about a minute while they get it stacked. Once it's stacked, it takes no more space than a pro pack.

The people wasting all the space are the inconsiderate folks who spread their gear out in the packing area, and then disappear for an hour or two, tying up all that space that is needed by others.

And since it's impolite to mess with someone else's gear, you hesitate to pick it up and push it aside to get it out of the way.

snip...

P.S. The reason that you are asking about organizing and not bagging is that you haven't tried to pack yet. Bagging is what often drives noobs to tears... not organizing the canopy. There is nothing quite like struggling in the heat for 10 minutes to get the canopy in the bag without success.

indeed, you are correct. I took a packing class, did a few pack jobs under supervision, and the toughest, most frustrating part was trying to pull the bag around the stack without the canopy squirting out all over hell and back...experience seems to be the only answer to that obstacle, but that will come.

Airtwardo:"There is a bit of difference between a rigger with a nipper and a guy with 138 jumps and a swiss army knife...usually!"

Why do PD put packing tabs on their canopy,s other than for flat packing ?

Exactly which models/sizes still come with packing tabs?

My Sabre2 97 has packing tabs. When my new tandem rig arrived without them, I sent it back and made them put them on.

My personal rule of thumb is that if you cannot pick the entire canopy up off the ground with the slider up and hold it at your waist to PRO pack it, then just side pack it. For me personally, that's 120 square feet and smaller (to PRO) and everything else gets side packed. It's much less of a pain in the ass. I was forced to PRO pack my tandems on a hook in Hawaii; I hated it, but there was no room to pack them otherwise (I was jumping on Kauai).

Teaching students to PRO pack big-ass student canopies is DUMB, DUMB, DUMB in my opinion. Far too complicated, way too messy, and absolutely not necessary for the A-License requirement.

Chuck Blue, D-12501
AFF/SL/TM-I, MMPCI, PRO, S&TA

I think teaching a student to flat pack first helps them to better understand the canopy. It's very easy to see the nose, A,B,C,D, brake lines and tail of the canopy when it laid out on the floor on its side.
I was thought to flat pack while I was still jumping student canopies then once I got my A I was thought to pro pack.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)