riddler

Packing Politics

While true that many of these packers are not riggers, all that I have dealt with were trained, and supervised by one. Packing Cathy's people are a good example. The majority of them are not riggers, but she is. She also stands behind her work. You have a mal and a reserve ride due to a packing error from one of her staff, she repacks your reserve free.

Personally, I have paid a packer twice, and got the 2 hardest opening I have ever had (I fly Sabre's) from them. I trust my packjobs, and unless I absolutely MUST have it done by someone (debrief and hot load, ect.), I pack my own.

(Not directed at you Rev, but just for information.) If a packer works Packin Cathy's mat, they know what they are doing. Of any person I know, she is the most serious about her job and her life. Intensity is the word that I use. If you know her, you know what I mean. She expects a lot from herself and her people.

I have over 1000 PC pack jobs. No mals. I also jump a Sabre 150. I do not get slammed. I get soft consistent on-heading openings.

If someone walks up at a boogie and claims to know how to pack, you take your chances on your opening. A Sabre can spank you, got that t-shirt.

Pride?
I lost that along time ago.

besides, I do care about my pack jobs (contrary to popular belief). this whole thread is about someone else packing for you. I don't think that a person takes too much pride or responsibility when they skydive if they have someone else pack for them.
sure, call me an asshole. maybe it is because I can't afford to pay someone to pack for me.
except, if I ask you to freepack my canopy, would you know what the hell a tail gate is, or what lines to put it on? and would you be at the exit, telling me that it will open on heading.
seriously, any packers want to try their 7min wonder jobs when there is no reserve present?
Might make you slow down to the "non-profit" speed.
and that is another reason "skydiving" belongs in the joke threads. it is a joke. I can't believe people take it so seriously. oh...boo-hoo...I might have a reserve ride. yeah, but you would get a better rush out of a malfunction.

Thomas

and if you're gonna spin in, better be over water :P

I do agree with you about Cathy. She's a class act. That said, those 2 bad openings were from her packers.

1st one, I just dropped off after a DZ.com attempt. Grabbed it again for the second attempt. SLAM!

Took it back after that jump to be packed while in debrief. Told them about it. Talked with Cathy personally, telling her that when i pack it (Sabre 135 at the time) I get nothing but sweet, soft, on heading openings. I described how I pack it to her and the packer. She said that's not how they usually pack Sabres, but the customer was right, and if it worked, that's how they would do it for me.
Next jump at opeing I got whacked again, with the additions of 3 full twists and anice spin. Happily I kicked like a mad man and got them out. Haven't used a packer since. Didn't go back and complain either. I'm sure it's rare that things like this happen, and I solved the problem by just packing it myself.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

this whole thread is about someone else packing for you.

Well, more precisely, I was more interested in the subject of having people you know and trust pack for you, vs. the local pack boss that you don't know. I just feel I should have my pick without causing tension.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

this whole thread is about someone else packing for you.

Well, more precisely, I was more interested in the subject of having people you know and trust pack for you, vs. the local pack boss that you don't know. I just feel I should have my pick without causing tension.

Regardless of who you know and trust, I think it inappropriate that anyone should be conducting business on someone else's property without permission.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think it inappropriate that anyone should be conducting business on someone else's property without permission.

Well stated. I agree 100%. It's one thing for your buddy to pack your rig in exchange for a beer; it's something else entirely for someone to pack for a number of different people for money without the permission of the DZO.

Well stated. I agree 100%. It's one thing for your buddy to pack your rig in exchange for a beer; it's something else entirely for someone to pack for a number of different people for money without the permission of the DZO.

Yup,Yup!

"And thats all I got to say about that!" -Forrest Gump
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

Regardless of who you know and trust, I think it inappropriate that anyone should be conducting business on someone else's property without permission.

I agree completely. Then, is it the job of the DZO to pick certain packers to pack at boogies there? And do they get anything out of allowing only a handful of selected people to pack for money? I could understand this if someone said that the DZO gets money from the sanctioned packers, but I don't think this is the case. If you are a DZO, and everyone is packing, and some people get paid, why not let anyone get paid to pack? Why just a few people. Is is liability?

I'm not asking these questions to make a point. I honestly don't know and I am curious.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

For example, at SDA those outide packers lease that space from the dz, they pay for it, and it is the only authorized area for them to cunduct business. SDC will charge a 'packing company' like $250 or something for the permit during events, big weekends etc. and these guys have to collectively cover that as an expense before they start making any profits.

whats disappointing for those guys/girls is that when teams bring in their own team packer... They loose a ton of potential business.

what else, were you asking?
--

What Dave said seems to be echoe'd among staff packers that i have met/used. There is a packer at our dz who literally runs out to the landing area if there is a cutaway to see if the person is ok and is genuinely concerned if someone has a bad opening. I have seen her cry after packing someone a mal.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I see it this way,I would rather have my friends pack it before some other nobody touches it,i don't know this guy/girl from adam.Do they know what they are doing,do they know there dealing with my life???? As for teams that bring there packers,there packers get half of what they are charging,I don't think they would pack for them!

SDC will charge a 'packing company' like $250 or something for the permit during events, big weekends etc. and these guys have to collectively cover that as an expense before they start making any profits.

Sarge,

do you know this as a fact? did Roger or Missy tell you this? is this YOUR first hand knowledge or is this a 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand information?

just curious...if it is your first hand information then excuse me...if not...dont spread rumours...unless you have facts to back it up...

marc

Nope, no rumors! If I was mis-informed for the purpose of someone elses agenda, 1st hand, Demetrei, for example. Then take it at face value...

Also Nope. I do * not discuss with Roger or Missy things of that nature. I guess I could ask? ... so could you

Anyway, the point I was addressing involved an empathetic concern in the best interests of the packers who bust their asses to try to make a few bucks in a fair environment with some protection from poacher-packers!

bs bro!
* edited... one too many do's not enough 'not'
--