ernokaikkonen

Discussion on offensive jokes

The Holocaust.
9/11.

Hiroshima.
Slavery.

Is one of the above more terrible than another, in terms of human beings suffering? If one takes offence from jokes told about one of those things, shouldn't the same person react the same way to jokes told about the other ones? Or is it simply that it doesn't feel bad if it doesn't concern anyone close to you, and therefore you need not to take offence?

Erno, you make an excellent point. But pointing out double standards to someone who habitually applies them will always be an excersise in futility.

Whether or not a joke is offensive to someone depends on where you stand. A person can say "I find this or that offensive" but saying "this or that is offensive" wthout adding "to me" is not really a valid statement.

I think, therefore, that if someone says something is offensive, they automatically mean that it is offensive to them, (the person) or a group of people the person feels an association with.

Nobody can tell someone else what should offend them. It depends on where you stand.

--
ZZZzzzz....

I'll admit that all of those would be pretty offensive to me. The Holocaust and slavery involve the deliberate dehumanization of one group by another. That is, by its nature, offensive. Things like the deliberate bringing of infected blankets to the Native Americans is pretty offensive, too.

The others are too close. I doubt Black Plague jokes were too funny 500 years ago, and famine jokes aren't going to be nearly as funny in Ethiopia as they are in the US.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The Holocaust.
9/11.

Hiroshima.
Slavery.
Is one of the above more terrible than another, in terms of human beings suffering? If one takes offence from jokes told about one of those things, shouldn't the same person react the same way to jokes told about the other ones? Or is it simply that it doesn't feel bad if it doesn't concern anyone close to you, and therefore you need not to take offence?

I don't think that if someone takes offense to one that the offense taken would necessarily be of the same magnitude for all. I personally think that jokes about anything tragic like the events above is tragic. I may take more offense to one over the other for personal reasons - but the same goes with anything. Events of any kind usually affect you more when it either affects/affected either you or someone you love.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

Oh, and everyone remember. PMS jokes are not funny! at that time of the month ;)

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>Oh, and everyone remember. PMS jokes are not
>funny! at that time of the month

:o Any man with any self-preservation instinct will not even think about such a thought crossing his mind.:|

Unless of course there's no immediate threat of physical danger, say, for example, while communicating over the Internet...:P

Oh, and everyone remember. PMS jokes are not funny! at that time of the month ;)

Wendy W.

Here's an easy solution. In order to preserve the peace, the gals just need to have a running PMS thread. Post a notification during those special times... say... July through June... ;)

Why do they call it PMS? Mad Cow Disease was already taken. :P

Some times people say mean, nasty, hurtful things and don't even know it and sometimes need to be told about it.

I get pretty pissed when people talk like what they think a deaf person sounds like, complete with waving hands around. I'd think that that was an ignorant, asshole thing to do even if I didn't have a deaf sister who works hard as hell to be intelligible to the hearing population.

Jokes about sensitive subjects are only a good idea if you are intimate friends with your target and know what they find offensive. And being an asshole really isn't ever funny.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I have two categories.

1) Subjects that are NEVER funny, such as rape - surprised no one mentioned that yet, or maybe I missed it...

2) Subjects that may be pretty crude and offensive, but can be funny given a certain teller and a certain audience - race, handicaps, sexuality, etc. etc. - people poking fun at their own group is usually a lot more palatable than when it comes from people outside the group.

I'm neutral on Holocaust jokes because I have Jewish friends who will throw out an occasional one. I don't think they're particularly funny - like other people here, I have distant relatives who were on the sharp end of the whole thing, and I don't think there's any real humor in the situation in general - but I do understand humor as an occasional way for some people to make very hurtful things tolerable. Likewise with 9-11. You won't ever hear me cracking a joke about it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them become more mainstream in a 5-10 years. That's just how people are.

In general, I think a joke's in bad taste if it's a basically offensive joke and you don't know your audience well enough to know how it will be received.

Joe

Usually, I just stick with a few standards. The French, because even if they do get upset, so what? Blonde jokes, because generally blondes understand that the jokes are not likely to be true and so the blondes are not offended.

My one area of concern is "stupid people" jokes. I know that I may have offended some incredibly stupid people. If I have offended any readers with a stupid joke, please re-post the offending joke with an explanation of why it bothers you and I will apologize. :)

I know that I might have offended alot of people with the jew joke and if so I apologise.But I know from family history what the camps were like in Germany as I had family that spent time in them. My great grandfather came here from Germany right after the war. He died when I was about 10.So I had tales of what it was like first hand from someone that was there.I had several family members that were there.It was not only jewish people that spent their last days in the camps, it was also gypsies(my family),homosexuals,muslims, and anybody else that was differant from the ideal.IF I offended,I'm sorry. I won't post again. I'm able to joke about something that directly affected my own family.It's funny that people make jokes about blacks,indians,homosexuals etc and that's ok.But mention something about jewish people and WWII and people get bent out of shape.Nobody ever says anything about the white mans attempt of genocide against the indians.But they never contributed anything worthy did they? So I guess genocide is ok in that sense.And what about black people? I guess it's ok to joke about them too right?I just moved from a place where they are still trying to fight the cival war and alot of people still believe in slavery.But you can joke about them and it's ok.And the amount of gay jokes out there are even worse.they've been persucuted through ouot all of history. But again it's ok to joke about them.I thought this was a group of openminded people that did'nt go for all the PC bs but I guess I was wrong.SO dont' worry to keep from possibly offending anybody again this will be my last post.Hell I might just get out of skydiving altogether and sell my rig so I won't offend anybody with what I decided to buy to jump with.So on that note....So ong and thanks for all the fish.

I find it funny how in the US and in Canada also we pride ourselves on saying we have the absolute right to free speech but try to censor people at every turn. Unfortunately free speech means that people can say things we hate also. Just a thought.

~Chachi

i havnt been here for ages anyways also remember things are different things in different places, about 2 yrs ago i posted a topic on here asking if there where any wiggas on here, now where im from, and what i meant was, are there any ppl that listened to rap, liked lowriders etc etc however i very quikly found out that in the US this was infact extremly racists and was much the same as if i had said "nigger" (which is also a no go racist word here)quite a few people (understandubly)got rather hurt and upset by it, and it took me a couple of weeks to convince everyone what i acctually meant instead of what they thought i meant, plus it was just after 9/11 so everyone was tense anyways, it all worked out good though, eventualy

hmm i guess i'm i the minority. i find nearly everything funny. The blacker the humor the more i usually amused. I guess it goes back to my life philosophy. There are really only two responses to most things, laugh or cry. I chose to laugh.

in fact you would have to try very very hard to actually offend me, (i really dont think its possible, you would have to cross over into insulting and beligerant before i'll ussually react most times i'd just be amused by watching you make an idiot out of yourself.

words are only offensive if you give them the power to be so.